Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me bid this job!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am bidding on a commerical job tomorrow on a hotel and I need your help out there. I am not sure if I am bidding on this job correctly and don't want to low-ball but at the same time I want to get the job and I am at a lose. Here is what I have along with the pic's

My estimate is $800 a month for the following
    Mowing, edging, trimming and blowing off the parkinglot and walkways..
    The property has a lot of small areas and then a big area around with two ponds.

Please take a look and tell me what you think..

Thanks a lot
    Attached Files

Hi,

Let's break this job down. Can you tell us the following?

Mowing - includes steep slope near water
    Hours per week =
    What you would charge per week = $

Edging
    Hours per week =

Trimming
    Hours per week =

Blowing off the parking lot and walkways
    Hours per week =
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Mowing - includes steep slope near water
      Hours per week = 3 hour because of ponds going to have to use push mower around them. Job will take longer

What you would charge per week = $100

Edging
      Hours per week = 30-45 mins
      What you would charge per week = $50

Trimming
      Hours per week = 45 mins -1hr

Blowing off the parking lot and walkways
      Hours per week = 30mins

Comment

Are you mowing around the ponds too? What kind of mower are you using?
        If so, I think you are close. Around here that kind of job would pay around $600 per month. I dont know about your area though. I think if you are bidding against people, there is a chance you may get underbid just a bit. But that doesnt mean you cant still get the job. Some people will pay a little more to know that the job is going to be done right. You can sell them on that and also maybe throw in free sprinkler repairs when needed (they just pay for the sprinkler). Things like like can make or break a deal. Sometimes being a little creative can get the job.
        Good Luck!
        Northern California

Comment

j_jlawns,

What does it cost you to run your business per hour?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

$40-50 dollars a day!?

Comment

Yes, I am mowing around the ponds. I would use a 36' walk behind around the pond. I think my zero turn on that slope would end up in it. I am in the Tampa FL market. Thanks for the idea about the sprinklers...

Comment

Let's say that it took 5 and 1/2 hours a week to service this property and you were going to service it 4 times a month.

That would be 22 man hours a month.

Bid estimate of $800 a month / (22 man hours) = $36 per man hour

If it costs you $40 to $50 a day to operate your business

I am guessing that is for 8 man hours?

$50 / (8 man hours) = $6.25 per man hour to operate your business?

So then going back to your bid:

($36 per man hour) - ($6.25 per man hour operating expenses) = $29.75 per man hour profit?

How does all that sound?

Comment

That sound about right? but that is what I am not sure of. I don't want to under bid this commerical acct and it take me under. I have never done commerical before and I am not sure what to except. So what do you think?

Comment

Hi j_jlawns,
                    I am having a hard time seeing it take 5 1/2 hours per week. To me it looks like 2 1/2 to 3. I think if you could do it in that amount of time, you would be doing pretty good, profit wise.
                    Northern California

Comment

That sound about right? but that is what I am not sure of. I don't want to under bid this commerical acct and it take me under. I have never done commerical before and I am not sure what to except. So what do you think?
                      Well I think that is the beauty of knowing your operating expense. What does it cost you to operate your business per hour?

When you know that, you know everything.

You can then bid such a job with confidence. If you get the job, while knowing what it costs you to operate then great! If you don't get it, then that's ok too because you don't want to take a job you are going to lose money on.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

I am still pretty new at this and I really haven't sat down and figured it out. Any suggestion on how to determine exactly how much it cost me to operate my business..

Also, what do you thing of my bid of $800. Some say it is a little high and others thing I am almost right on target..?

Comment

I am still pretty new at this and I really haven't sat down and figured it out. Any suggestion on how to determine exactly how much it cost me to operate my business..

Also, what do you thing of my bid of $800. Some say it is a little high and others thing I am almost right on target..?
                          I think it's a tad high, so I wouldn't be too worried about low balling. I think Brandon is about right with his guess of $600, although it's hard to judge the real size in those photos.

Comment

First check this post out http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=4699 it's a discussion on figuring out how much your profit margin should be.

Let me know then if that helps you get a better handle on how much it costs you to operate your business per hour.

I think the number $800 is meaningless by itself. It only matters when you know what it costs for you to operate your business.

This is the trap many business owners fall into. They bid on something based on what they think others would bid. But that does you no good. If it costs you more than $800 to perform this job, it would be a bad estimate to make.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your help....

Comment

Working...
                              X