Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larger projects - Labor pricing in estimate ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger projects - Labor pricing in estimate ??

Hey lads!

I'm starting to land larger renovation projects, I'm currently in phase 2 of a 6000$ project.

I wanted to ask you if the more experienced professionals here if you guys tend to use the multiplier x 2 or x 3 for estimates.

For example, my current project.

The material cost was 1500$

I charged 2500$ for labor,

Total was 4000$

I've spent probably 25 hours on the job so far, have one more 8 hour day to go.

It involved 1100 sq foot sodding, cutting down 5 large trees, garden design and planting, and a lot of little odds and ends with regards to those services.

Would you guys use the rule of x 2 or x 3 the materials to be safe?

Like 1500$ x 2 = 3000$ total? or 3000$ in labor, so it would be 4500$ total,

Would like to hear your feedback, thanks.

I did design/build for a decade before specializing in maintenance services only. Bidding a price using a multiplier is a very risky practice because it does not take into account the risks involved during the course of a project, nor does it account for the various facets of overhead.
    Exhibit A: A customer wants a new lawn comprised of Zoysia turf. Total square footage is 2000 square feet. Zoysia is sold by the pallet. One pallet covers 500 square feet, and has a wholesale cost of $250.00/pallet.
    If one were to take the $1000.00 in material cost (sod), and simply multiply it by 2 or 3, the installed cost becomes a range of $2000.00 to $3000.00. This is hardly a competitive bid. The proper way to bid would take into account the materials, man hours (labor), delivery fees, equipment rental fees, sales tax, and markup (profit) to arrive at a bid. So, my bid would look like this:
    *Materials (zoysia).....$1000.00
    *Delivery of sod........$ 125.00
    *Skid steer rental......$ 325.00
    *Debris disposal fee...$ 100.00
    MATERIAL SUBTOTAL.....$1550.00
    *Labor (employee) 10 hrs. at $12.00/ea...$120.00
    *Labor (owner) 10 hrs. at $30.00/ea.......$300.00
    LABOR SUBTOTAL.....$420.00

OVERHEAD SUBTOTAL.....$1970.00
    SALES TAX (7%)............$ 137.90
    OVERHEAD TOTAL..........$2107.90
    MARKUP (profit margin) at 20%.....$421.58
    GRAND TOTAL INSTALLED COST.....$2529.48

This is how you bid out a project. All overhead is covered, you and an employee get payed for your labor, and your company receives a respectable profit.
    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Thanks Chilehead,

Very in depth estimate analysis. Appreciate your time and effort !

Comment

You're welcome.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

So, my bid would look like this:
          *Materials (zoysia).....$1000.00
          Do you ever find that you charge the customer the retail price of materials if you get it at a discounted wholesale price or do you try to stick with passing on your price of materials regardless if you purchased it at wholesale or retail.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Do you ever find that you charge the customer the retail price of materials if you get it at a discounted wholesale price or do you try to stick with passing on your price of materials regardless if you purchased it at wholesale or retail.
            I stick with passing on the savings to the customer. I stay competitive that way. I make my money in the Labor category, and the company makes its money in the Markup category.
            integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X