How much would you charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you charge?

So i am going to be putting a bid on a small commercial property (small Asian market) close by my house i measured the lawn and it measures 2560 square feet. The property is mostly an asphalt parking lot with two small trees so i don't anticipate that there it will need to be blowed very often. Or will it need to be blowed each visit to just maintain the parking lot from customer trash and what not? The gopher estimator says it should take me 21 minutes to mow the property. The property is about a mile away from my house and i will be mowing it once a week. I try to make $25 an hour but if this job only takes me about a half hour then i was going to charge $12.50x4 totaling to $50 a month. What do you guys think? Am i low balling or under estimating the time it would take to do this job? i have a 21 inch push mower, backpack blower and an edger. How much would you charge for this job?

One of three things will happen.

1. They laugh at you and ask if your serious?
    2. They will higher you and pay another person to watch you.
    3. You will never hear from them again.

You need to find a minimum charge that covers your overheard and cost of showing up at least. Then figure out how much more to charge for the actually job.

Figure out your expenses. Then make a real hourly rate. That will at least start you in the right direction. You can then price jobs based on your rate and not a random guess. Do you know if $25 a hour will even make you money?

Its such small job that bidding to low wont hurt much but would you really go to work for $12.50? I have stuff that I need to return for more then that and its not worth my time to do it.

You could really get yourself into trouble like this. What if your bid was $1250 a week? It cost $900 to do it and you have to wait 5 weeks to get paid. That means you would have to spend $3600-$4500 to get $5000. Could you really run a business like this?
    Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Sect has got some great advice....follow it, and just to let you know, I have cuts that I charge $20 or $25 for but they only take me about 15 minutes to do them...in & out.

Comment

You need to set yourself with a minimum charge. I will not quote anyone less than $25 to mow. No matter how small it is. The national average is $45 an hour for this industry.
        http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Its such small job that bidding to low wont hurt much but would you really go to work for $12.50?
          You could really get yourself into trouble like this. What if your bid was $1250 a week? It cost $900 to do it and you have to wait 5 weeks to get paid. That means you would have to spend $3600-$4500 to get $5000. Could you really run a business like this?
          Then what would you charge a month for a job that is less then a mile from your house and should only take you a 1/2 hour? Should my minimum charge be $25 flat rate and charge $100 a month. This site is my only reference on learning the business and i need as much advice as possible. Please help.

Comment

$12.50 wow do the math
            5 mins to the job
            30 mins at the job
            5 mins leaving the job
            5 mins paper work
            5 mins maintenance on equipment

TOTAL 50 mins.

what about fuel, my truck and equipment go throw about a gallon a yard aka $3.50 plus two stroke oil
            $12.50 - $3.50 = $9 an hour and don't forget taxes now your at $6

Comment

Your balls are dragging !

Comment

What would you charge

So I get that my price of $50 a month is too low but the main question is what would you charge? It's a 2560 square foot job a mile from my house? The 2560 square foot does not include the parking lot that will need to be blowed. What would you charge?

Comment

At $25 you might make $10 profit. If you think $10 is worth it then go for it. If you walk to the job you can cut some fuel cost but triple your time. If you get a flat you wont be able to afford to fix it so you might be walking anyway. Since its a commercial place. Expect call backs to blow off a walk, or a few weeds that were missed or maybe they said you didnt show that week. This will eat into your profits even more. One of the reasons we charge a bit more for commercial clients.

I would charge about $1800 a cut. A lot of that is a round trip plane ticket, hotel and food. I like nice hotels and big plates of food.

Comment

Since its a commercial place. Expect call backs to blow off a walk, or a few weeds that were missed or maybe they said you didnt show that week. This will eat into your profits even more. One of the reasons we charge a bit more for commercial clients.
                    Sect it sounds like you have a lot of knowledge on the business. Could you specify on how much you would charge for this job if it were a mile from your house?

Comment

Lets see

Mow trim edge blow off clippings 20 minutes
                      blow parking lot and pick up (where are you going to blow leaves and trash to) 20 to 30 minutes
                      2 dollars to drive there and back
                      1 gallon of gas
                      depreciation on mower, trimmer, edger. blower.
                      cost of a broom, and what 2 trash bags per visit.
                      cost of trash disposal
                      hourly wage for you
                      generously call it 2 dollars for liability insurance
                      and 2 dollars for workers comp insurance
                      30 percent markup of above (how much money the business makes)
                      this equals TOTAL PROFIT
                      Now the federal government gets 30 percent for income and self employment taxes
                      Your state also collects income taxes and possibly sales tax.
                      At 25 per hour YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO LET YOU TAKE CARE OF THIER PROPERTY

Comment

What would you charge???

Ok I get it but what would you charge. What is a reasonable monthly fee for this job? Also I am doing this solo.

Comment

Why not look through the info on this site about figuring out your costs ,then figure out your own price from that ? Many in this thread alone have given you some hints to get you started in figuring it out properly ,and I bet there's another thousand threads asking how much ,so why not spend some time reading through them and you will be able to figure it out yourself ,instead of being lazy and begging us to do the work for you .

Comment

Why not look through the info on this site about figuring out your costs ,then figure out your own price from that ? Many in this thread alone have given you some hints to get you started in figuring it out properly ,and I bet there's another thousand threads asking how much ,so why not spend some time reading through them and you will be able to figure it out yourself ,instead of being lazy and begging us to do the work for you .
                            some people just don't get it. the rate I charge is different than the rate you charge simply because of location and rates in the area.

Comment

Because I want YOU to tell me.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X