HELPneed help biding on a lawn asap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELPneed help biding on a lawn asap

I just got a phone call from a guy on Craigslist saying he was trying to set up a lawn service for someone else.Apparently a previous lawn company abandoned their lawn when they went out of town. Its in a up scale area and is sitting on a 66211 sq ft lot with the house only using around 7000 sq ft.They want it mowed, string trimmed,edge, blow,and some hedges trimmed and weeds picked from cracks in the concrete TOMORROW before noon

I only have a old lesco commercial 32" walk behind and a new husqvarna trimmer with edger and blower attachment and a small bolens string trimmer.I'm debating whether or not to take it

I just got a phone call from a guy on Craigslist saying he was trying to set up a lawn service for someone else.Apparently a previous lawn company abandoned their lawn when they went out of town. Its in a up scale area and is sitting on a 66211 sq ft lot with the house only using around 7000 sq ft.They want it mowed, string trimmed,edge, blow,and some hedges trimmed and weeds picked from cracks in the concrete TOMORROW before noon

I only have a old lesco commercial 32" walk behind and a new husqvarna trimmer with edger and blower attachment and a small bolens string trimmer.I'm debating whether or not to take it
    Am I reading this correctly? You are going to attempt to mow a property with a square lot of 66,211 feet with a push mower??? You might want to pass on this, I mean no offense, but a push mower isn't going to accomplish this sort of task.

Comment

sounds kinda fishy but why not do it if its legit? It might take 2 hours with that mower. If priced right its worth it.

Greenblue its not a push mower. Its a belt driven walk behind.

Comment

GreenBlue Its not a push mower. Its a belt driven walk behind. I also have a small 20" push mower for real small areas.I would really like to get a foot in the door in that general area due to the average home value around there is selling for over $1 million. I'm a little stuck on how to bid it with what I got and how large the area is.

Comment

Well you should know how to charge if your running a business. Take your 1/4 price and times it by 6. Its that easy.

I would be more worried about the hedges. There could be 100s of feet.

Comment

GreenBlue Its not a push mower. Its a belt driven walk behind. I also have a small 20" push mower for real small areas.I would really like to get a foot in the door in that general area due to the average home value around there is selling for over $1 million. I'm a little stuck on how to bid it with what I got and how large the area is.
            Ok, I misread the post then, I thought it said push mower instead of walk behind LOL. I would do what Sect suggests then, if you already have a business and that kind of mower it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you, and hopefully you price it correctly and its worth your time for the price you end up with.
            Last edited by GreenBlue; 04-20-2013, 04:22 AM.

Comment

I would simply ask them what the other guy was charging, remember that for the most part they will lie to you and tell less than the truth. If it sounds like a reasonable amount, add some to it tell hem that's your price. If you make money then maybe you could afford to buy a bigger machine.

I did that for a guy with 2 1/2 acres, he said that they were paying 75, I told him I could not do it for less than 100. Got the job, it took about 1 1.2 hours including all the trimming.

Comment

I quoted the guy 275 for the initial service and got the job. (straight wore me out) He paid 300 cash and wants a quote for me to come by weekly. I think Its time for me to pick up a zero turn. problem with that is I only got a 4x6 trailer hopefully I can land a few more yards like this.money is tight because I'm still new and starting out.

Comment

I quoted the guy 275 for the initial service and got the job. (straight wore me out) He paid 300 cash and wants a quote for me to come by weekly. I think Its time for me to pick up a zero turn. problem with that is I only got a 4x6 trailer hopefully I can land a few more yards like this.money is tight because I'm still new and starting out.
                  Congrats on getting the job. That's one thing you should have thought about when you were starting out is getting a big enough trailer you could grow into, some people it seems tend to forget this, and then quickly outgrow the original equipment and trailer they start out with. Hopefully you can find a trailer that is bigger, and I hope that you learned your lesson from this, and get a trailer that's big enough to where you won't have to buy another one when you get even bigger down the road.

Comment

Well let's get this together for you.

If you buy a zero turn, and keep the trailer you have now, you can't take your walk behind with you. You would have to mow that one yard and then go back to get your walk behind to mow your other yards, I don't know how far you live from here but that waste time and money.

A good used 16 ft trailer will run around 1,500 to 2,000 (landscape trailer). You could sell your current trailer to help offset the cost because I doubt you will use a trailer that small in the future if you have a bigger one.

With the bigger trailer you could fit both a zero turn and a walk behind and a couple push mowers.

Sounds like you did good on the job.

And I don't know what your credit is like but Sheffield financial offers 0% interest financing. A 5,000 mower comes out to $70 a month or so. If your mowing that place for $100 a week or more the cost is very easily offset by that one account. Before you make the decision to do all of this, you should see if with your other account, would you still be able to afford this new equipment if you lost your new account? If not, then I would say don't do it. It could ruin your business from a financial standpoint.

Comment

Well let's get this together for you.

If you buy a zero turn, and keep the trailer you have now, you can't take your walk behind with you. You would have to mow that one yard and then go back to get your walk behind to mow your other yards, I don't know how far you live from here but that waste time and money.

A good used 16 ft trailer will run around 1,500 to 2,000 (landscape trailer). You could sell your current trailer to help offset the cost because I doubt you will use a trailer that small in the future if you have a bigger one.

With the bigger trailer you could fit both a zero turn and a walk behind and a couple push mowers.

Sounds like you did good on the job.

And I don't know what your credit is like but Sheffield financial offers 0% interest financing. A 5,000 mower comes out to $70 a month or so. If your mowing that place for $100 a week or more the cost is very easily offset by that one account. Before you make the decision to do all of this, you should see if with your other account, would you still be able to afford this new equipment if you lost your new account? If not, then I would say don't do it. It could ruin your business from a financial standpoint.
                      I had a guy when I started, who has been in business for 50 years, ran several fortune 500 companies, tell me the most important thing in business-NEVER buy equipment for one customer. If you buy equipment to take care one customer, you better get several more quickly, so that if you lose the one customer you are not screwed.

Comment

I had a guy when I started, who has been in business for 50 years, ran several fortune 500 companies, tell me the most important thing in business-NEVER buy equipment for one customer. If you buy equipment to take care one customer, you better get several more quickly, so that if you lose the one customer you are not screwed.
                        Agreed.

Thats a HUGE risk to buy equipment based off landing 1 customer.

In the OP's case, I'd bid the job and mow with the current mowers he has. Then as the customers grow, so should his equipment.

Comment

I quoted the guy 275 for the initial service and got the job.
                          How long were you estimating this job would take you?

Also keep us posted on how long it actually takes you once you mow the lawn.
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

well with the condition of the neglected yard It took me around 6 hours. Now I got to shoot him a quote for a weekly service and just don't know what to charge. He claims the previous guy charged him $200 a month but since Its out of the general are that I would like to target and since it so big I couldn't see myself doing it for any less than $475 monthly with the equipment I have. It would be my first actual yard to service weekly. Most of the other business I get are people who let their yard go till they either get tired of looking at it or get a notice from the county to cut it. This is my first month in business pretty much so I'm doing alot of figuring out as I go.

Comment

how long did each part of the job take?

If your doing this part time then investing in equipment isnt smart. If you plan on doing this for a living its a must.

I bought my equipment as needed or as the right deal came along.

Comment

Working...
                              X