No announcement yet.

HELPneed help biding on a lawn asap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well with the condition of the neglected yard It took me around 6 hours. Now I got to shoot him a quote for a weekly service and just don't know what to charge. He claims the previous guy charged him $200 a month but since Its out of the general are that I would like to target and since it so big I couldn't see myself doing it for any less than $475 monthly with the equipment I have. It would be my first actual yard to service weekly. Most of the other business I get are people who let their yard go till they either get tired of looking at it or get a notice from the county to cut it. This is my first month in business pretty much so I'm doing alot of figuring out as I go.
    Yeah from the sounds of it I think you should have done more research before starting your business. I wouldn't go getting any kind of equipment just for one particular customer. What type of marketing are you doing? That sucks how you are only getting calls from people with overgrown lawns, mainly because that's harder on your equipment. What are your plans to correct this? Also as far as figuring out what to charge the customer, you better play it safe or you'll lose him quicker than lightning and that will be the end of it. What is your game plan until you get the "right" customers and start getting "actual" money coming in to where you can afford to grow? I am very curious on this.

Comment

Yeah from the sounds of it I think you should have done more research before starting your business. I wouldn't go getting any kind of equipment just for one particular customer. What type of marketing are you doing? That sucks how you are only getting calls from people with overgrown lawns, mainly because that's harder on your equipment. What are your plans to correct this? Also as far as figuring out what to charge the customer, you better play it safe or you'll lose him quicker than lightning and that will be the end of it. What is your game plan until you get the "right" customers and start getting "actual" money coming in to where you can afford to grow? I am very curious on this.
      This is what happens when a homeowner calls the established companies and get estimates in the 100s for their overgrown yard. They figure out no established company will do it for less then 3-5 times the normal cut price. So they call the new guys to find a sucker. Once the yard is back in shape these types are known to go price shopping again.

You can tell the guy is lying his *** off claiming the last guy was at $50 a cut. Thats what he wanted to pay not what he was charged.

Comment

This is what happens when a homeowner calls the established companies and get estimates in the 100s for their overgrown yard. They figure out no established company will do it for less then 3-5 times the normal cut price. So they call the new guys to find a sucker. Once the yard is back in shape these types are known to go price shopping again.

You can tell the guy is lying his *** off claiming the last guy was at $50 a cut. Thats what he wanted to pay not what he was charged.
        Couldn't have said it better myself Sect. LOL

Comment

GreenBlue I didn't have much of a option to research much.I just got terminated from my previous job of 5 years after my position was filled when I was on leave for an injury that occurred at work. I got a small settlement that I saw as enough to get me started and had been wanting to start a lawn business for a few years now. As far as advertising I have just finished making a flyer to blanket the neighborhoods I want to target. Most of the overgrown jobs I have landed are from craigslist(What a surprise). I'm also trying to put myself out there as much as possible speaking with friends and family trying to get them to spread the word also.

Comment

GreenBlue I didn't have much of a option to research much.I just got terminated from my previous job of 5 years after my position was filled when I was on leave for an injury that occurred at work. I got a small settlement that I saw as enough to get me started and had been wanting to start a lawn business for a few years now. As far as advertising I have just finished making a flyer to blanket the neighborhoods I want to target. Most of the overgrown jobs I have landed are from craigslist(What a surprise). I'm also trying to put myself out there as much as possible speaking with friends and family trying to get them to spread the word also.
            I'm sorry about your misfortune, isn't it illegal for a employer to terminate you if you are on leave from an injury? It sounds like you are doing good on the advertising aspect. Craigslist is pretty good at attracting customers who have overgrown lawns, my cousin got alot of those phone calls when he had his lawn service. Is there a way you can upload what your flyer looks like on here? I might seem like sort of a hardball, but I'm a tell it like it is type of person and sometimes people take that the wrong way, but I don't beat around the bush on stuff. My business experience comes from what I learned in college getting my business management degree and also from me owning an advertising company a few years back that I sold. I'll be the same way with my customers when my lawn business is up and running, not going to hide anything from them and going to tell them everything upfront that way there's no surprises when my work for them is done. You are doing pretty good though so far and I firmly believe your business will take off soon enough my friend.
            Last edited by GreenBlue; 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I guess it's not illegal if they fill your position. One Dr I went to still had me on restrictions when I left his office. But then a week later I received a FedEx letter from work saying they received notice from the Dr(on a day i didn't even have a appointment with him) for me to return to work and said "we regret to inform you that your employment will be terminated upon receipt of this letter. As you are aware,company policy states that all Leave of Absences are non job-protected.Due to your position being critical to the company's daily operational success your position had to be filled". I guess here in Florida they can get rid of you for anything.

Comment

I guess it's not illegal if they fill your position. One Dr I went to still had me on restrictions when I left his office. But then a week later I received a FedEx letter from work saying they received notice from the Dr(on a day i didn't even have a appointment with him) for me to return to work and said "we regret to inform you that your employment will be terminated upon receipt of this letter. As you are aware,company policy states that all Leave of Absences are non job-protected.Due to your position being critical to the company's daily operational success your position had to be filled". I guess here in Florida they can get rid of you for anything.
                I'm really sorry about that. Keep your head up though you are going to do just fine, watch and see.

Comment

It is what it is. Hopefully I can make this lawn business work then I can say it happened for the better... everything happens for a reason

Comment

Goodtimez, how's the flyer prospecting going??? Wanted to make sure I checked up on you and see how this was going.

Comment

Working...
                    X