Biding/estimating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biding/estimating

Hello was wondering how to properlly quote a price on lawn mowing. Dont know if im doing it right. As of now i do lawns for a minimum of 30 per cut. Thats as low as i go.And thats for regular size lots which takes me about 45min to an hour thats mowing edging weedeating..Am I pricing these correctly or not?? Oh by the way I cut with a 21inch push mower.

This questions gets asked alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllll the time. This forum has some awesome info and advice. Just dig up some old threads and you'll find everything your looking for.

Good luck!!

Comment

Atleast you have a minimum. Thats one hell of a start. Most people dont have that. And if regular lots are taking you that long, you might want to invest in a bigger mower, the toro.... its a 30 something inch for $800. Or a walk behind for a few hundred used on Craigslist or a few thousand new.

Comment

Can I vent here for a second?

I HATE THE TERM WEEDEATING! I prefer to use trimming.

Whats everyone else call it?

Comment

Thanks alot u guys thats some good insight..

Comment

Lawn boy its alright.I use weedeating cause ive used trimming in my flyers and costumers really thought i was doing tree trimming not shrubs and ornamental trees i mean big oak and pine needle trees. So thats why i use weedeater,since then never had a problem with the word since.

Comment

Lawn boy its alright.I use weedeating cause ive used trimming in my flyers and costumers really thought i was doing tree trimming not shrubs and ornamental trees i mean big oak and pine needle trees. So thats why i use weedeater,since then never had a problem with the word since.
              My helper uses the same term. He takes it a step further and calls it a weedeater.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Comment

I've never had that problem, but I could understand how that could happen.
                Weed-Eater was a brand of trimmers and lawn equipment years ago. They made really good stuff (I still have my dad's Weed-Eater hedge trimmer that's 20 years old! and works), but they died out. I think MTD or someone bought them.

Ever since then, people just call a trimmer a "weedeater". I also don't like the term.
                Doesn't really make sense, I never really trim weeds, I only trim grass along edges and walls.

I think $30 is a fair price for a regular sized lawn. Maybe you could get $35 for the lawn when you get better at doing them. This is exactly how I started. You said it takes you 45mins-1hour to do the yard, you're still making good money, but it should be better. Instead of charging more, you should get faster at doing your work. There are some threads on here about the order in which to do things. Like should you mow or trim first?
                I would stick with the 21" mower to be honest. Maybe upgrade to a Toro or Honda brand if you don't already have one of those. People respect a Toro or Honda mower (Even if it's a push mower) much more than MTD or those flimsy mowers. I know I do. You can get a brand new Toro 21" for $150 on Craigslist. Self-propelled and all that.
                I would suggest getting more quality trimmers and blowers before upgrading to a larger mower. Quality over quantity

Comment

Growing up, my dad had a craftsman. He always called it a weed whacker, but living near Boston, it was pronounced "weed whackah".

I went back to MA about 2 weeks ago, he still has that same damn trimmer. It's got to be over 20 years old by now!

Comment

Hello was wondering how to properlly quote a price on lawn mowing. Dont know if im doing it right. As of now i do lawns for a minimum of 30 per cut. Thats as low as i go.And thats for regular size lots which takes me about 45min to an hour thats mowing edging weedeating.
                    Do you measure the size of the property to get an idea how long the job will take you before you bid?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Naw steve i just do them for that min price. but there not very big imean there normal size residential yards.I know not to lowball. I saw this lawn sign. This guy was chargin 50 bucks a month now thats bad.Thats not even 20 a week. So basically 30 an hour thats not bad. Do u think o should change it up??

Comment

Ractetmaster thanks for the advice. Its awesome.

Comment

Its funny how there is a discussion on calling it weedeating and trimming. My cousin use to own a lawn service about 10 years ago, and one time he had a customer call him about his flyer. He thought he was getting a new customer, until the guy started talking. He asked my cousin if he was really going to eat his weeds because one of his services was weedeating, after my cousin explained to him what that involved, the guy felt embarrassed and hung up quickly. LOL! Sorry but I couldn't help but share this story, I was reading the posts here and started cracking up.

Comment

I dont think you should change your prices if the lawns are the correct size and it sounds like your right on. Most of my customers would spend 40 mins or more taking care of their mowing and i charge the same price. But your equipment is what saves time. The bigger and faster you can operate your equipment and keep the same quality the better off you will be. -

Comment

Growing up, my dad had a craftsman. He always called it a weed whacker, but living near Boston, it was pronounced "weed whackah".

I went back to MA about 2 weeks ago, he still has that same damn trimmer. It's got to be over 20 years old by now!
                              oh yeah!! Weed whacker. Yeah, that's the other name for a trimmer. I forgot about that one.

My friend's dad has a bunch of really old equipment. Kinda cool to look at.
                              Early 80s Stihl chainsaws, Echo hedge trimmers that are almost unrecognizable compared to today, lawn-boy lawn mowers from the early 80s, some ancient Toros, couple Homelite blowers (back when it was made in USA). Everything still ran amazingly. My uncle got a Lawn-Boy with his house when he bought it in 1991. Died last year when water accidentally got in the gas. 2-stroke mower, too.

Humberto, when you become more skilled, you will make much more money. You will provide a much higher quality service (which is worth more), and you will get the job done fast and have more time for other jobs. Being skilled with a trimmer is very valuable, and edging along sidewalks and walkways...OMG, like the only thing a customer even cares about.
                              You can stripe the **** out of a lawn, but if you got some grass blades hanging over a sidewalk edge, the lawn looks crappy.
                              Last edited by ratchetmaster2; 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X