Some woman wants tree cut, split, and stacked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some woman wants tree cut, split, and stacked

I got an e-mail from a potential customer asking me if I could cut up a tree, split the wood, then stack it.

I currently own a 16" Echo Chainsaw. It works really well, but the customer said that the largest diameter is 18".

I haven't done something like this before as a paid service. In my head I'm trying to think of how many cuts it would take, and how long per cut. Then of course cutting each section into 4 cross sections. Then stacking it.

This isn't a job I really want to do... Because chainsaws are messy, loud, dangerous. So I plan to give a higher quote, but only like 20% above something reasonable.
    She sent me a picture, so tell me what you think.

As far as I understand, the job is only cutting up the tree sections already on the ground.
    I count ~6-8 large sections with the rest being useless thinner stuff. I estimate that in order to cut 1 foot sections, it would take ~16-20 cuts with a chainsaw. Then ~32-40 more cuts vertical and horizontal to make the 1/4 sections of firewood.

In my head, I think this would take me like 3-4 hours, but I'm very off with time estimations. So...probably all day with just one guy?
    I'm contemplating sending her an bid of $300. Half-hoping she won't e-mail me back
    Also, can anyone tell if this is a hard wood?
    Attached Files

$300 isnt high shell probally take it.

You can cut that up in less then a hour. Your saw will be fine. You just back cut it 6" or so then cut 12" into the other side.

Splitting it would take a while longer. Your using a axe? I dont know 2-3 hours at least. I havent split wood in a long time.

Stacking wont take long if you stack it close to where you cut it.

Comment

First off, unless she specifically wants 12" firewood I would cut it 16-18" its going to save you a few cuts. She is also more than likely going to want you to cut up that small wood thats there as it is good firewood, but it will cut up fast and is small enough you shouldn't have to split it. It sounds like you plan on "splitting" the wood with your saw, I would suggest going out and buying a splitting maul. The wood doesn't look like its full of knots and that would be a much faster way to split the wood, especially with the small saw your using. Your 3-4 hour estimate should be accurate, as long as your not hauling the wood too far to stack it. Unless you decide to split the wood with your chainsaw, which will probley take you longer. I dont know where the customer is in relation to you, but I know $300 is more than I would get for that job, but alot of people are willing to pay good money for things like that. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

ohh and tell her youll fix her fence for another $100

All you got to do it buy 2 8 ft sections for about $50 and drill 12 screws into the post.

Comment

First off, unless she specifically wants 12" firewood I would cut it 16-18" its going to save you a few cuts. She is also more than likely going to want you to cut up that small wood thats there as it is good firewood, but it will cut up fast and is small enough you shouldn't have to split it. It sounds like you plan on "splitting" the wood with your saw, I would suggest going out and buying a splitting maul. The wood doesn't look like its full of knots and that would be a much faster way to split the wood, especially with the small saw your using. Your 3-4 hour estimate should be accurate, as long as your not hauling the wood too far to stack it. Unless you decide to split the wood with your chainsaw, which will probley take you longer. I dont know where the customer is in relation to you, but I know $300 is more than I would get for that job, but alot of people are willing to pay good money for things like that. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
          Thanks for your input. Exactly what I was looking for.
          Like I said, I wanted to up-charge a little bit because it's not the type of work I'm used to. That and my schedule is getting busier by the day, so supply and demand of my time.
          I did plan on cutting the wood up with my chainsaw. I know it doesn't work the best, but I'm not very good with an axe. I'll have to look into that cutting maul.

ohh and tell her youll fix her fence for another $100

All you got to do it buy 2 8 ft sections for about $50 and drill 12 screws into the post.
          Yeah. That's true. I don't know what the hell happened in this yard. I can see an uncut tree that looks pretty lame (idk if that tree didn't break farther up than the picture shows). Then I can see a cut tree stump. We haven't had any recent storms...so if I had to guess, I would say that someone cut the tree down, and it landed right on the fence.
          The fence is obviously in need of repair, but I would expect much more damage if a tree landed on it...Then if you look at the fence in the neighbor's yard, it looks like a part of their fence is also broken down..

I'll e-mail the person back tomorrow morning. Should I say $250 or $300? This is definitely a job I would hire a friend on. $10/hour or so. Probably $40 total paying them, and ~$5 in gas/oil.

Comment

Your going to cut the wood in 1/4 with a chainsaw? We use log splitters.

I don't know what firewood goes for where your at, but we get $200 a chord max. And that's not close. I'm not saying do shoot for it, because like you said you do not want to do it, but just my .02

Good luck

But that's good smoking wood, looks like pecan.

Comment

Your going to cut the wood in 1/4 with a chainsaw? We use log splitters.

I don't know what firewood goes for where your at, but we get $200 a chord max. And that's not close. I'm not saying do shoot for it, because like you said you do not want to do it, but just my .02

Good luck

But that's good smoking wood, looks like pecan.
              I don't have a log splitter and don't want to rent one for this job. 1/4 for a cord just delivered? or is $200 for actually cutting it up at a job site?

Comment

We get $200 a chord delivered and stacked. I do it for the winter time money.

I was asking if you were going to cut the wood into 1/4 with the chain saw. That is going to take a long time and be hard on the chain.

Comment

The branches from the top of the tree could have dont that to the fence but its hard to say when the neighbors looks that bad too. You should talk to her and the neighbor both, about fixing there fence sections. Maybe you can even talk them into a whole new fence. $$$

Comment

Sorry guys but looking at the yard and the condition of the fence, there is no way the woman will pay $300 to have it cut up. Don't waste your time. She will probably put an ad on Craigslist for FREE firewood.
                    Pat

Comment

Sorry guys but looking at the yard and the condition of the fence, there is no way the woman will pay $300 to have it cut up. Don't waste your time. She will probably put an ad on Craigslist for FREE firewood.

She hired me.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is this good or bad?

Comment

Ratchetmaster is watching Kenny vs Spenny

Comment

Update us on how the job goes, I'd be very curious on how it turns out for you when its all said and done.

Comment

Working...
                            X