No announcement yet.

Please help, what do i do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulch is calculated by the area it wil cover. A true yard of much covers a flat 100 sq ft 2 inches.

I price my jobs as follows

Prices include materials and labor.

Already mulched, no need for removal is 85 per yard

Lights weeds, no need for old mulch removal 115 per yard.

Medium and heavy weeds in beds i spray roundup and kill weeds where i am sure i wont harm plants and wait 2 weeks and pull all weeds even the dead ones, for this i get $140 per yard.

I price haul offs this way, i take the same prices above but i charge 85 per yard for disposal. So if im laying 10 yards in lights weeds, i have 115 per yard. But if im laying 10 yds im also hauling 10 yards off so i charge 85 per yard laid for removal. So i would charge 850 to remove plus 1150 to weed and install.weeding is always done before removing mulch.
    Thanks for the help, I'll take this into consideration, have already printed this for review.

Comment

It sounds like your SOL. You can stress as much as you want its an estimate, but the customer only hears the total $$$$$$. They may even think an estimate is a final price and it won't be any higher. Trying to bill them for more may give you a bad review. Maybe take them out for drinks, after they had quite a few ask them for more money????

In the future, carry a notebook with you. When you do your estimates, write down everything they want done and how long it will take you. Like this:

Weeding- 3 hours
      Edging- 1 hour
      Raking yard- 2 hours

This way when you get everything written down, you can calculate the hours. Do the same for materials.

Mulch- $90 a yard, customer needs 3 yards
      Round Up- bottle cost $X amount, so I'll charge $Y
      Trash Bags for weeds- A bag of 50 cost be $8, I'll charge the customer $1.50
      Dump Fee- $40

It's simple and easy. You'll have everything written down infront of you, so you can go over it 100 times and make sure you didn't forget anything. Then give them the final price and hope for the best!
      That's a good idea and something I will be doing for myself to prevent something like this happening to myself.

Comment

I'll be taking of pictures of every job I do in the future, that way I can sit back and relax and price each 'job-photo' accordingly. Helps with sod work.

This is what my office looks like

Comment

Figured I would update the thread on the outcome of the situation. well the customer called today after receiving the invoice for 1100 dollars, 200 of which was for supplies. They told me it was nearly double the estimate, which was originally 500 plus supplies. So I took it in the *** and charged them the amount of the estimate plus supplies so they cut a check for 700 instead of 1100 . Knowledge is the most valuable thing out there, and I learned a lot from this job. So not going to let it ruin my mojo. Just wanted to keep them happy

Comment

Figured I would update the thread on the outcome of the situation. well the customer called today after receiving the invoice for 1100 dollars, 200 of which was for supplies. They told me it was nearly double the estimate, which was originally 500 plus supplies. So I took it in the *** and charged them the amount of the estimate plus supplies so they cut a check for 700 instead of 1100 . Knowledge is the most valuable thing out there, and I learned a lot from this job. So not going to let it ruin my mojo. Just wanted to keep them happy
            That's good, just make sure you really learn from this experience and put what you learn into action with the next job.

Comment

clearing weeds, removing old bark, and laying fabric along with dump runs is what takes so much time. laying mulch on top of the old can be done easy and fast I know. I wasn't even thinking about the dump runs when I gave the bid, I need a new estimate work sheet then the one I currently use so I don't forget things like that

I use a Microsoft spreadsheet program. and put everything I have ever done on the sheet, How long it took me, and how much it cost (ie runs to the dump, dump fee, time required etc)

I use that to help me estimate new jobs.
              Believe me I got screwed a few times starting out, but the more I do, the more information I get, and the better my estimates are.
              Now I go out, give a good written estimate, get a signature on a contract and go to work.(sometime, other times I get Oh you way to high. I don't care I know how much it cost me and how much I am going to make. I don't care if they gt Bevis and Butthead to screw up their yard!)

Comment

Now that you have gone through this experience, what is your view on where it went wrong and what would you do differently next time?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X