Rubber Mulch ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Mulch ?

Ok guys...I need some thoughts here ....

A customer called and wants me to give her an estimate for laying rubber mulch....I have yet to use this product and I know it is costly, she is aware of that also but she says she has a ( mushroom phobia ) and doesn't want bark mulch....

My question is...does the rubber mulch block the growth of mushrooms ? I did some checking and I'm thinking it may but not sure...

If anyone has used this for a customer before I would be grateful for some feedback....

I'm curious on this too. I had a customer ask to remove all bark and lay down rubber. They said you have to buy in bags from Home Depot or Lowes???

Comment

Yep that's where I found it...Lowes.... $8.89 for a 0.8 cu ft bag !!!

I can't find a supplier anywhere around here yet that has bulk supplies.....

The job is 16yds.. $$$$$

Comment

I used it about 4 years ago for a big playground at a home on the lake .I cost me over $2500.00 for a tri-axle dump truck load ,while reguler mulch would of been $300.00 or so if I remember correctly .It worked great,still looks great ,no magic mushrooms ,just a magic pricetag .It seems to hold its colour good ,but we did choose black .

Comment

I use this and install it on playgrounds and I buy in bulk. Cost around $100 yd in bulk and you have to have the equipment to move it. Comes in big bags even in bulk. I buy from pinnacle.

Yes rubber mulch will stop mushrooms. Mushrooms are decomposers and typically grow of the decomposition in the mulch.

It is really good for play grounds because it does pack. They say you can fall on your head from like 6 ft with no damage.

The cons, you won't be re mulching anytime soon. If the don't have gutters and a border around their bed they will hate this stuff. It will float its rubber, so if precautions aren't taken it will all float off and end up in the yard. Remember it won't break down, so now your customer has colored mulch everywhere.

Any other questions just ask.

Also, I have done one residential yard. I paid around $500 for a 1 ton bag direct from manufacturer. I made $600 off each bag installed. I charged $1500 to install each bag because of equipment, hauling to job, and labor. We installed 6 bags at $1500 a bag. You have to explain to customers it is more expensive now but it last many many years so it does offset the cost.

Comment

Thanks for help.....This could be a good $$$ maker...

Comment

mine didnt come in bags ,it was just like buying any other mulch from the yard just with a much bigger pricetag.

Comment

They say that rubber mulch in wildfire areas helps to protect your house too.
                Pat

Comment

I had a customer that ordered it for their playground. I believe they got it from NJ by a truckload.

The bag stuff is to much. You have to look up makes the stuff and get them to deliver it to you.

Never heard of mushroom but it looks nice, there was no growth, and its permanent.

Comment

They say that rubber mulch in wildfire areas helps to protect your house too.
                    How is that? I would figure tires are quite flammable so wouldn't the rubber mulch be as well?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

It may be but it does not catch as easily as bark does.
                      Pat

Comment

That piece of information could be helpful when marketing to areas concerned about such issues.
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I just got a call for rubber mulch I found a few bulk suppliers but it is still expensive.

Comment

It is expensive.

And rubber mulch (tires) take longer to catch than wood. But when they do, they burn extremely hot! And for a long time.

When we were clearing our property with a dozer we would put a bunch of tires in each burn pile, it would help keep the fire burning long and hot. I know its not environmentally conscious but back in 1998 to 2001 it was very common in small towns. The Mexican tire shop in town started charging $5 for blown out and no good tires because everyone wanted them. Now nobody wants to be caught dead burning a tire..

Comment

Working...
                            X