13 acre lot.....Help please!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 acre lot.....Help please!!!!

Hey guys. For the past 4 days, I have started to hand out my door hangers. Its a little time consuming, but I did have some help with my daughter and her cousin as well. That went a little quicker too having the extra help. So, I got a call from one lady that would use me since I was a lot cheaper than the recent guys. Then today, I had a guy call me for an estimate on his yards. He has two houses. One house, almost an acre of land, is his current house he lives at. The other, with about 13 acres of land and a huge freaking house, will be soon his house to move in once the other one I just mentioned sells. He just built this new one and its unbelievable. Im sure its over 6,000 sq feet and he said he already had 80 loads of dirt delivered there to fill in some places and flatten out. He has money, lots of it Im sure. So on the small land, he wants it mowed weekly and trimmed weekly. The bigger property, he just wants it mowed weekly, no trimming at all. Im glad I was called to this, so Im very excited since I have only been going at this for a year now. So, question is, with only the mowing, how would you guys bid this? I have a 60" Toro mower and possibly need another one Im guessing. The going rate varies in this area from 40-75$ an acre so Im not sure and I sure dont want to mess this estimate up. Opinions??????

Hey,

How long does it take you to mow an acre? What is your hourly rate?

Time X rate = price.

Be careful. I have run into problems with "wealthy" customers who have nice things who don't like paying the little man. They think they have enough money to do what they want or they don't have any money because its all tied up in assets. Make sure you have documentation. Such as emails or text. I get around 80-100 an acre depending on how big it is

Comment

$40-$75 an acre? I doubt this guy is looking to spend $500+ a week.
      http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Well then what?

Comment

^^agreed

You can't take the price of 1 acre, and just multiply it by 13.
          That's not how things work.

You should give him a bulk price. how long does it take to mow 1 acre? You should plan to be on the property most of the day if you mow it.

Give him a discount because:
          1.You don't have to travel to 20 other houses for that day, so you don't use gas in your truck or waste time driving
          2. You don't need to trim, edge, or blow. Mowing is the simplest, and fastest

I would recommend taking your price for doing a full service on an acre. Mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, etc.
          Take that price, multiply it by 13 and cut it in half.
          For me, less than half the effort/time is mowing. Besides, you don't have to drive. Say $300 or something. $300 is still a fat paycheck for a half day's work.

Comment

13 acres in half a day? You would need to have 3 guys, two mowing and one on the trimmer. And I still don't think it could be done with zero turns in half a day. And 300 is too much? And I thought I underbid myself. I get 300 for a 2.5 acre retension pond. No way in hell you are getting getting me mow over 5 acres for 300. That's way to cheap. If he has guys working he won't make any money after he pays them and gas and wear and tear on equipment

Comment

And when I make these assumptions I am assuming he is not using 72 in. Commercial grade mowers or commercial grade mowers at all. Also I wouldn't guess that this place is mowed currently. There is probably lots of debris from trees and home building that needs to be picked up. Are there any holes or rough spots that your gonna need to fix to make mowing easier on your mower, yourself and your employees? You can bid how you want. I wouldn't do it for 300. If they can afford a "huge" house on 13 acres, then they can afford to pay, my assumption, the price to have it maintained. Or that can pay someone who will do it for 300 and get what quality they get.

I now with my tractor sometimes, and make more than $75 and acre, I guess mowing prices here are different.

Comment

And when I make these assumptions I am assuming he is not using 72 in. Commercial grade mowers or commercial grade mowers at all. Also I wouldn't guess that this place is mowed currently. There is probably lots of debris from trees and home building that needs to be picked up. Are there any holes or rough spots that your gonna need to fix to make mowing easier on your mower, yourself and your employees? You can bid how you want. I wouldn't do it for 300. If they can afford a "huge" house on 13 acres, then they can afford to pay, my assumption, the price to have it maintained.
                You're assuming a lot, but you obviously didn't read much.
                1st thing, there will be no trimming.
                2nd, cuttingedgeron said he has a 60" toro, and plans to buy another
                3rd, the owner already ordered fill dirt for holes

If someone bid me $500 per week to mow my lawn, I would just buy a goat to eat the grass. $2000/month. That's twice what my dad pays for our mortgage, and we live in the 3rd richest county in the country.

Comment

And when I make these assumptions I am assuming he is not using 72 in. Commercial grade mowers or commercial grade mowers at all. Also I wouldn't guess that this place is mowed currently. There is probably lots of debris from trees and home building that needs to be picked up. Are there any holes or rough spots that your gonna need to fix to make mowing easier on your mower, yourself and your employees? You can bid how you want. JI wouldn't do it for 300. If they can afford a "huge" house on 13 acres, then they can afford to pay, my assumption, the price to have it maintained. Or that can pay someone who will do it for 300 and get what quality they get.

I now with my tractor sometimes, and make more than $75 and acre, I guess mowing prices here are different.
                  I'm sure he can afford to pay, but just like someone said earlier, are the rich going to pay that kind of money every week for mowing especially if their a cheap ***?

Comment

I use to mow 6 acres with two zero turns. It took 4 hours. One ztr was 72 the other was 60. Took 4 hours. So 13, is gonna take at least 7 hours. I just don't see it. And I know what a home mortgage is typically. I have one customer who pays well over 1,000 a month. I'm not short changing myself. Y'all can. I wouldn't touch that place for less than $450 each cutting. I would work something our with him to mow around the house weekly and the rest EOW if the price is too much.

450 for the whole place EOW and 100 for around the house and driveway kinda deal. 300 doesn't seem like a good idea I'm sorry.

If it takes him 7 hours, with two mowers and he charges 300, 100 of that is for labor off the top, now your at 200 but then you have fuel wear and tear. So take off another 50. You now have 150. If you now yards to make 50 more a day than your employees then go for it. But I don't.

Comment

I'm sure he can afford to pay, but just like someone said earlier, are the rich going to pay that kind of money every week for mowing especially if their a cheap ***?
                      Him being able to "afford it" isn't really the point.
                      Some wealthy people only want to spend money on themselves. When it comes to paying the bill, they don't want to.
                      Others are perfectly fine with redistributing their wealth.
                      Just like everyone else, some people are ok with spending, some aren't.

If you think it's worth $500 of your time and skill, pitch it. If he doesn't like the price, then I guess you don't get him as a client.

Comment

Him being able to "afford it" isn't really the point.
                        Some wealthy people only want to spend money on themselves. When it comes to paying the bill, they don't want to.
                        Others are perfectly fine with redistributing their wealth.
                        Just like everyone else, some people are ok with spending, some aren't.

If you think it's worth $500 of your time and skill, pitch it. If he doesn't like the price, then I guess you don't get him as a client.
                        I agree. I really want the job. I dont want to bid too low and be screwed. So, then again, I dont want to bid too high and not get it all. This will be my first big yard so Im anxious at the same time, but I want to make it my worthwhile and not just jump into it and get screwed.

Comment

Even $500 is low. I like what the other guy suggested give him a whole price then a piece price. Like $600 for all then $250 for half one week and $600 the next week for all.

If the guy doesnt want to pay. He has options like a buy a mower and spend 12 hours mowing it. Or let it grow!

I dont see a guy with money doing either.

I do a nice house on a little under 3 acres. I charge $275 a week. I thought it was high too till I looked up the address and seen that he pays $29,000 a year in taxes. Real nice people too. They give my guys $50 tips all the time.

Comment

I think your time estimate is off

13 acres in half a day? You would need to have 3 guys, two mowing and one on the trimmer. And I still don't think it could be done with zero turns in half a day. And 300 is too much? And I thought I underbid myself. I get 300 for a 2.5 acre retension pond. No way in hell you are getting getting me mow over 5 acres for 300. That's way to cheap. If he has guys working he won't make any money after he pays them and gas and wear and tear on equipment
                            I cut a 4.5 acre business with minmum trimming in 1hr 35min from start to finish thats by myself on a 60 turf tracer 13 acre should come in at about 4hrs so shoot for around 300. No lower than 240 and thats the bottom. A 7 am start and finishing at this one at 11 am with 8 other 40$ lawns for the rest of the day and you are at 620$ and thats by yourself. not a bad day money wise.
                            Last edited by rockymtnnut; 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

If you now 4.5 acres on a mower built to now an acre every 40 minutes, and you are mowing 4 times that in 2x the time.... sign me up for a fleet of them please. I will take them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X