No announcement yet.

13 acre lot.....Help please!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use to mow 6 acres with two zero turns. It took 4 hours. One ztr was 72 the other was 60. Took 4 hours. So 13, is gonna take at least 7 hours. I just don't see it. And I know what a home mortgage is typically. I have one customer who pays well over 1,000 a month. I'm not short changing myself. Y'all can. I wouldn't touch that place for less than $450 each cutting. I would work something our with him to mow around the house weekly and the rest EOW if the price is too much.
    8 man hours for 4.5 acres on a 60 and 72? Damn, no wonder you have to overcharge to make payroll.
    I have, and Im sure many others have, knocked off 4 to 5 acres in less than 2 man hours. I have a buddy who is a LCO, and his 2 man crew mows 30 acres in 16 man hours! Thats w/a 60 and a 61 deck.
    13 acres is definately feasible w/a 60z for one guy! Should take about 7 hours. Especially if its open, and relatively flat. 7 hours of mowing is about 7 gallons of gas. Every 3rd mowing the blades will need sharpened. Every 7th mowing an oil change. Figure these costs into the job.
    You can cut the guy a break because you have 2 of his properties, and a buge one at that. Honestly, I would tell bim upfront that he is getting a multi property discount, and as soon as that other one sells, his price would vo up 10% since he no longer has multi properties. Figure out what you need to make hourly, how long you think it will take, and there is your price. You dont have to "give him" a discount, but if you tell him you are, then he may be that much happier. Tell the customer what he wants to hear,its part of sales.

Snethercutt, if my guy took 4 hours to mow 2 1/2 acres, I would fire him on the spot.

Comment

So here is my thinking process right now. I think I will give the guy 2 options like some of you have talked about. 1st option would be to mow entire property every week for $600. This is not the correct amount, Im just putting an amount there to see what Im thinking. 2nd option would be to mow around the house, drive way and along his fence every week and then every other week, mow the rest of the property for $400. So, he can spend $2,400 a month on the first option or just $1,600 a month on the 2nd option. What do you think?

Comment

Grass guru where did you come up with those numbers. I said 6 acres took 4 hours. That would be two mowers built to handle an acre in under an hour. And then taking care of trimming. And that's only with two guys so I know nobody was screwing off because I was on the job.

And yes I agree 4 acres is possible to mow in 2 hours with one zero turn capable of mowing an acre every 30 minutes. Which is mowers that run 13-15 mph ground speed. But you also factor in the house and concrete into that... so it takes some sq ft away from the equation.

Comment

Rocky do u realize you just said by both accounts that a mower is capable of mowing 3 acres an hour? Those are rediculous numbers my friend. That's an acre every 20 minutes.

With some of the numbers thrown around on this post, I see why so many business come and go.
          Last edited by SNethercutt; 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Rocky do u realize you just said by both accounts that a mower is capable of mowing 3 acres an hour? Those are rediculous numbers my friend. That's an acre every 20 minutes.

With some of the numbers thrown around on this post, I see why so many business come and go.
            Wow...you're like wayyyyyy off. With a 21" push mower, I can mow 3/4 in less than an hour.

Why don't you take a look at this chart and stop fabricating numbers

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Productivity/

Comment

I will let you believe that chart. Just like I will let you believe the EPA estimated mileage of a new car. Hard to have a battle of wit with an unarmed person.

Comment

I will let you believe that chart. Just like I will let you believe the EPA estimated mileage of a new car. Hard to have a battle of wit with an unarmed person.
                lol, yeah I wouldnt put a ounce of faith in a manufactures claims. Theres no way the mower is cutting that much even in a straight line.

Comment

Grass guru where did you come up with those numbers. I said 6 acres took 4 hours. That would be two mowers built to handle an acre in under an hour. And then taking care of trimming. And that's only with two guys so I know nobody was screwing off because I was on the job.

And yes I agree 4 acres is possible to mow in 2 hours with one zero turn capable of mowing an acre every 30 minutes. Which is mowers that run 13-15 mph ground speed. But you also factor in the house and concrete into that... so it takes some sq ft away from the equation.
                  6 acres takes 2 guys 4 hours. If you start the job @ 8am, and finish @ 12, then that means you worked 4 hours, and your helper worker 4 hours. 4+4=8 man hours.

And rockys numbers are not off base. I do 4 acres of bumpy property in 1 hour 50 mins. Thats around a hedge of pines for privacy, the house, 2 private ponds, and a dozen trees. 4 acres of turf, by myself, w/60" turf tracer, and speed setting #6 most of the time, and slower around bumpy areas. She only wants it trimmed around the house. A turf tacer tops out
                  around 6mph. A lazer z around 10, but there are others thar top out at 13, which is what you said.
                  Lets do the math....
                  13 acres is 566,280 square feet. Square root to obtain square lot, and you have lot dimension of 752x752. A mower traveling 10mph will go 528 feet in 1 min. 752/528= 1.42. 1.42 x 60 seconds = 85.2 seconds to travel from one side of lot, to other. Add to that about 3 seconds of turn around time, and thats 88.2 seconds per swipe. Nobody can use the full 5' of deck, so if you overlap by 4" that leaves a net cut of 56", or 4. 66'. With a Lot size of 752'/4.66' = 161 swipes. 161 swipes x 88.2 seconds =14'200/60 = 236 mins. Or 4 hours if your running your lazer z wide open @ 10mph. So yes, it is possible to mow 13 acres in 4 hours on one 60"z., or less than 6 hours with a turf tracer. (a turf tracer can be turned around in half the time as a Z)

Comment

Thank you for some actual solid math with accurate numbers.

I like how these guys above are talking trash about the chart I provided.
                    So uh...where are YOUR sources? I provided a source that is accurate. It can't be biased, it uses a simple equation provided at the bottom. Math can't lie.

Comment

If you now 4.5 acres on a mower built to now an acre every 40 minutes, and you are mowing 4 times that in 2x the time.... sign me up for a fleet of them please. I will take them all.
                      Are you telling me a 60 in lazer will only cut 1.5 acres an hr, maybe at idle. They cut more like 4 acres an hr, and thats with older equipment. The newer big blocks are faster than that. We are here to help him out. Without looking at it , I think 300 is a fair bid. Is it 13 servicable acres? If you are uneasy about it go up 50 more.
                      Last edited by rockymtnnut; 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I corect myself its my 60 lazer and ive been at this stuff for 18 to 20 years wide open sharp blades is how big properties are cut and slow down a bit in visual areas. Im curios what type of mower do you cut with ?? The property that i speek of i have been cutting for 14 years i stand by my time claim.

Comment

I have a 52 that goes 9mph 3.77 acres
                          a 52 that goes 12mph 5 acres
                          and a 60 that goes 11.5 mph 5.5 acres

So I should cut 14.27 acres a hour, right? thats at 80% efficiency.

Ill tell you right now those 3 mowers cant mow even 10 acres a hour.

Engine sizes have nothing to do with ground speed.

Comment

I corect myself its my 60 lazer and ive been at this stuff for 18 to 20 years wide open sharp blades is how big properties are cut and slow down a bit in visual areas. Im curios what type of mower do you cut with ?? The property that i speek of i have been cutting for 14 years i stand by my time claim.

Comment

I have a 52 that goes 9mph 3.77 acres
                              a 52 that goes 12mph 5 acres
                              and a 60 that goes 11.5 mph 5.5 acres

So I should cut 14.27 acres a hour, right? thats at 80% efficiency.

Ill tell you right now those 3 mowers cant mow even 10 acres a hour.

Engine sizes have nothing to do with ground speed.
                              1.)Wide open minimal trimming 4.5 acres in 1:35 with a well worn 60 lazer 25 Kohler
                              2.)The scag cheetah i bought Saturday destroys the old exmark .
                              3.)The big blocks dont drop as much in the thick grass as smaller engines do I know this to be true b/c i speek from experience. When a engine boggs down ground speed slows as well.
                              4.) This property is not a neighborhood property with small fences and gates it is wide open big long swipes.

Comment

Hey Rockynut, what is your main mower?

Comment

Working...
                                X