Gutter cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter cleaning

What's a good start on pricing gutter cleaning? I'm thinking $1 / foot for a basic one story and then going up from there for 2 or 3 story jobs??

$100 min.. A smaller house will have 60-80' of gutters.

I would do a dollar and change starting out. The majority of homeowners will not get on their roof. This eliminates the DIYers.

Comment

Single story house up to 2000 sf-100
      2-3000 sf-150
      double for 'high' work (2nd story)
      more for real high work

Comment

Keep us posted on how all this goes for you. How will you be marketing it?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Gutter Mess

I have made the mistake of charging by the foot and when I got up to do them they were filled to the top with dirt and moss. Every gutter around the whole house. I was there forever and made nothing for the time and work put into it. Charge by the foot but check first what is in them.

Comment

Wow. I'm seeing some really high prices here. I'm not sure I agree with those, but if it works, then hey.

Gutters can be really tricky. Sometimes the roof is at a low enough angle that you can actually get up on the roof and walk around. Sometimes the roof is too steep so you can only do it by the reach of your arms and then move the ladder.

Then again, some gutters are filled to the brim with junk. More likely, in my experiences, the gutters are pretty much empty, but with some clogs near the drains. One time I did a gutter job where I didn't even need a ladder to get on the roof. It was only clogged near the drains. I finished it in 10 minutes and I charged $50. I almost felt guilty charging that, but it filled up my gas tank.

I see some advice to check the gutters before you bid the job. How is that supposed to work? Go through the trouble of loading up the ladder, then setting it up, just to see how clogged the gutters are? Just charge like $80 for a small-medium house.

Comment

Needing some input

I gave a customer an estimate of $500 to clean out his gutters, he then proceeded to laugh at me and said no thanks.

I took the $1 per foot of gutter advise from this forum and then doubled it because it was a two-story house and the gutters were full of debris.

Here are my numbers...

144 linear feet of gutter around the sides of the house.
              +108 linear feet of downspouts (6 downspouts that were 18 feet tall).
              $504 Total Cost

Tell me what y'all think, am I crazy?

Comment

I gave a customer an estimate of $500 to clean out his gutters, he then proceeded to laugh at me and said no thanks.

I took the $1 per foot of gutter advise from this forum and then doubled it because it was a two-story house and the gutters were full of debris.

Here are my numbers...

$504 Total Cost

You shouldnt have charged a dollar a foot for downspouts. All you have to do is unclog the top and then run water to flush them out. I charge $10 per downspout.

Comment

Here are my numbers...

$504 Total Cost

Yeah. That's pretty crazy. I'm not surprised he laughed, probably because he had them done for $100 last fall.

And where did you get the idea of charging per each foot of downspout? Did you plan on cleaning those thoroughly? Or did you plan on sticking the hose in there for a few minutes?

If the downspouts are 18 feet tall, that means the gutters are 18 feet off the ground? And 144ft of gutters, I would assume 60ft front, 60ft rear, and 25ft for misc gutters?
                  Sounds like the typical house that I would charge $80-100 for and it would take me less than an hour.
                  Sounds like a typical single-family medium sized house.

Comment

Yeah. That's pretty crazy. I'm not surprised he laughed, probably because he had them done for $100 last fall.

And where did you get the idea of charging per each foot of downspout? Did you plan on cleaning those thoroughly? Or did you plan on sticking the hose in there for a few minutes?

If the downspouts are 18 feet tall, that means the gutters are 18 feet off the ground? And 144ft of gutters, I would assume 60ft front, 60ft rear, and 25ft for misc gutters?
                    Sounds like the typical house that I would charge $80-100 for and it would take me less than an hour.
                    Sounds like a typical single-family medium sized house.
                    That real low. Theres guys here that do it for $75-$100. My prices start at $125 and this house would be around $275. I land 90% of my jobs at those rates. I'm also the highest rated gutter cleaning service in the area. Usually Ill do a few apartment complexes every year at those same prices.

Most houses we do in 10-15 mins. Time has nothing to do with prices.

Comment

Here are my numbers...

$504 Total Cost

A dollar a foot yes, but I don't add anything extra for downspouts. That's for a basic one story and then goes up from there. I also take my ladder and climb up to get a general idea of how full the gutters are. I mean not doing that is like agreeing to mow a yard and not seeing how big it is. If its bigger than one story or you have someone helping you then you may need to figure that in as well. Every situation and area are different so its impossible to put a set price on this. Its like everything else, price it at what you think is fair and learn as you go. You win some, you lose some but the experience will help you in the long run.

Comment

Ladders are my Kryptonite.

Comment

Ladders are my Kryptonite
                          Has it always been that way or did you have a bad experience with a ladder at some point?
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Has it always been that way or did you have a bad experience with a ladder at some point?

I went up one once and at the top it's a lot further from the ground than it is at the bottom.

I can do heights as long as I'm on something completely stable. I go onto my addition roof every other year to seal the seams and apply a coat of silver roof coating. (it has a slight pitch, but it's finished like a flat roof)

I can walk right to the edge, two stories up, and look down at my truck below in the driveway and have no fear, but I refuse to get on the main house roof. If a shingle ever needed repaired, I'd pick up the phone and call someone else to do it.

Oh, how do I get onto my addition roof? I use a 8' step ladder on my deck to get on that part of the roof.

Remember the ice dam?

Comment

What do you guys use to clean gutters?

Comment

Working...
                              X