Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 Yards of mulch how much would you charge???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your insane to hand spread anything more than 20yds. Anything over that, i sub out to a blower.
    How does your pricing change if you sub it out? How do the profits change? I am sure many are wondering if it is more profitable or not.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Your insane to hand spread anything more than 20yds. Anything over that, i sub out to a blower. They usually give bulk discounts. Think about it, 1hr/yard, you will have 5 guys working 2 full days on it, plus all time hauling it in, or a huge portion of parking lot with mulch (im sure the customer will love that one!) If its blown in, you can still make $ on markup, and it can be applied at 10 yards/hr, and you dont have to do a thing.
      I easily spread 4-5 yards a hour. Ill pull off 120 yards over the weekend with a 3 man crew.

Comment

Ratchetmaster: love the breakdown! But as you can see this is where we end up loosing jobs over a few bucks per yard...it breaks out to a difference of thousands.

grass guru: love the idea of a blower never used one but seen them used while commuting from site to site. Is that how many yards/hr they spread?

I am still running numbers, I am really doubting myself on this one and I really don't like it, I felt this was a shot in the dark before I even started and will end up spending a lot of time and energy trying to get it. I can get the full 80 yds of mulch delivered from a "friend of a friend" for $15ish per yard. So i'm thinking about $70-$80/yd. But still gotta think about it, usually in my area were at about $100-$125/yd so theres a little discount, but again I gotta watch the lowballers who probably will charge $50/yd. Thanks alot Prickmen

Comment

A blower can lay down a massive amount per hour. Google and see if you can find a local company that does it, and find out their rates. I had a company that would spread color enhanced for $45/yard. It cost me $18/yard to buy it from my supplier. If I pay $10/hr labor, my total cost is $28/yard. I am losing $17/yard profit on color enhanced. If it takes them 2 hrs for 20 yards, or 3 of us a full 8 hour day, it becomes a matter of convenience. If you are in a rush, or dont have the personel on hand and need to screen and hire a bunch of people for one job, you will have more hours/advertising costs in seeking and hiring of numerous employees than you would in profit loss to subbing out.
          Sectlandscaping, not everyone has the equiptment to lay that much mulch. Reading the OP, he stated he would have to hire a bunch of people, and obviously hasnt done a job this big, or he wouldnt be here asking opinions. Im assuming he is spreading it by hand, with wheel barrows off of a dumped pile.

I would definately call a blower company, and see what they would charge. *I wouldnt be surprised if they can get the mulch for much cheaper than you from a friends friend. It may also benefit you in landing the contract if you can put in that the mulch would be installed in a few hours vs a few days, and there will be no big piles of mulch using parking space.
          Basically, whats your bottom dollar? If you can get mulch for $15/yd, , is $60to $70/yd enough for you to cover labor, gas, supplies, and overhead?
          You have to bid it on what you need to make, not what you think other guys will charge. Take into account the going rate so you dont cut yourself short, but dont fret over it. If you really want it that bad and dont get it, there is always next year.
          Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

He discussed using equipment earlier. Its cheaper to rent a bobcat for $200-$250 a day then to pay 10 guys.

My sub compact tractor only has 1/3 yard bucket and moves 20 yards in 3-5 hours depending on distance. I just bought a skid to double that. A bobcat from the rental yard will come with a 1 yard bucket. The same as what loads you up at the yard. When your close to the pile you can be loaded up in mins.

Based on your prices the blower guy will charge 27x80 thats $2160. You could rent 4 bobcats for under a grand and do it in day. Then he has to pay for mulch, the blower people, and wait for the money from the job.

Comment

$750 to rent 3 bobcats, plus the fuel to get them, and run them, might cost a total of $900. The labor for 6 guys for 8 hours @ 10/hr is $480. Add to that 80 yards of mulch for $15/yd = $1,200. Delivery in my area is $45/10yds= $450. Your total cost is about $3,780, or about $47/yd. If a sub can blow it in for $35 to $45/yd (mulch included), who's losing money? Even if a blower charges $50/yd (everything included?), you are really only out about $250. Is there another job that you could land and make $250 that day? Only $30/hr needed.
              The cost in the end may be about the same. I'm just saying it doest hurt to look at getting a price for subbing it to a blower company, just as you would to find what it costs to rent 2 or 3 bobcats, or spread by hand, or sub it out to one of those lowballers (ive done that before, just speeds up the process of putting them out of business). Looking at it from every angle, getting numerous bids yourself for the mulch, bobcats, utility tractors, etc , will help you maximize profitability, and productivity. However, maximum profitabilty isnt always the first goal on every job.
              Maybe he can have it delivered for free, and get a break on 3 bobcat rentals for a day from the same place, and has nothing else lined up for work, maybe not. Asking for prices never hurts. Just my oppinion.

Comment

As of now we have one bobcat, (S250) that is getting old but still works, so I will be using that plus renting another. But I love the blower idea just haven't been able to find a sub. I will keep looking, but 2 loaders and a bunch of wheelbarrows is my fall behind. Even if I don't make enough, i'm not going to loose money and plus I will get the contract for the season. So I'm not that worried just wanted to see if you guys offered a huge discount since there is 80 yards.

We will see, I handed the proposal in yesterday and hopefully will hear soon. Hopefully it's not a waste of time which is what I though when I first got the call but we will see.

Sectlandscaping have you heard about your proposal yet?

Comment

That seems right with 2 skids. I have one and a kubota loader and I was going to rent 1 more. To give me 3 loaders for 120 yards. I have a 4 wheeler with a dump cart on it too. Not much bigger then a wheelbarrow but its faster.

I mailed it in saturday. There was ton of measuring to do. I had to get in touch with a nursery for wholesale plants and the mulch place took days to get back to me since there not open yet.

I took $9 a yard off my price. Which added up to a $1000. I found other places to cut prices like edging.

Comment

what does RFP stand for?

Comment

what does RFP stand for?
                      request for proposal

Comment

Update on this job:
                        Contract was awarded to another contractor and get this...It was awarded to the highest bidder! Wow that was a shocker, from the start I had reservations on this one and thought it was a far shot but never would have thought they would go for the highest bidder. From what I got it came down to the mulch installation and he came in at $10 more/yard.

Any word yet on your end SECT?

Comment

Update on this job:
                          Contract was awarded to another contractor and get this...It was awarded to the highest bidder! Wow that was a shocker, from the start I had reservations on this one and thought it was a far shot but never would have thought they would go for the highest bidder. From what I got it came down to the mulch installation and he came in at $10 more/yard.

It's not all about price, man. This is landscaping...90% of it is for the purpose of appearance. Maybe the other salesman was better looking, smelled better, better dressed, more of a smooth talker, made more convincing promises, had more brand loyalty, offered a stronger contract in favor of the customer

Comment

Update on this job:

I had to resend mine in because they gave me the old contract for specs. When I submitted my price it wasnt attached to the work requested. So I just faxed it again yesterday.

I just went to look at a shopping mall today. I got the RFP from the PM. This calls for 250 yards of mulch and they supply it. I just spread! Talking with him he said the last guy charged 11k for just labor. Ill be around the same on that. The real difference will be in the shrubs. Its a crazy amount of hedging. Its built into the weekly price. Not the usual few times a year. They want touch ups as needed. Thats going to be tricky.

Comment

but never would have thought they would go for the highest bidder. From what I got it came down to the mulch installation and he came in at $10 more/yard.
                              Do you feel you learned something from going through this process? If so, what stands out to you?
                              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Company's want there stuff to look nice. Its no surprise that this happened. I bid a job for a truck stop installing 40 yds of bull rock. I bid the job just under 8,000. A guy I know personally and have for many hears bid the job at 12,4** and got it. I wasn't the lowest bidder but it was gonna cost me 5,000 for materials labor and equipment and the rest was profit. But he get his materials the same place I do and pays his guys 9.00 an hour less than I pay mine on big jobs. How he got the contract, I'm sure its because he shows up in his nice pickup, logos on the sides, logo embroidered on his shirts, and all that jazz.

Comment

Working...
                                X