Overgrown Lawns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overgrown Lawns

How do you tackle a overgrown lawn. Iam sure I will get calls to quote a overgrown lawn. Iam mainly referring to customers who only need one time service, the lawn is overgrown and out of control. How do you start to quote a job like that. I seen jobs done before and they look like crap. I thought it is not good to cut over 1/3 the length of the blade of grass. How would a profesional handle this and try to make their lawn look nice as possible so you are not labeled as a butcher and kill whats left because you scalped the lawn.

Theres really not much you can do. These types of jobs are done because the city is about to fine them. Its a fire hazard. Its not meant to look good. If that was the goal there wouldve been maintenance done.

I do 5-6 of these a year. The way I handle it is weed wack a zig zag through it. Then I mow with the deck in travel position. I then put it on the highest setting. You would be better off with a brush cutter mower.

I estimate how many bi weekly mowings they missed and times the price like that. If it hasnt been mowed in 3 months thats 6xs the normal price.

Comment

What SECTLANDSCAPING said but I use a walk behind trimmer
      <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VmUCenMhO80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

How do you tackle a overgrown lawn. Iam sure I will get calls to quote a overgrown lawn. Iam mainly referring to customers who only need one time service, the lawn is overgrown and out of control. How do you start to quote a job like that. I seen jobs done before and they look like crap. I thought it is not good to cut over 1/3 the length of the blade of grass. How would a profesional handle this and try to make their lawn look nice as possible so you are not labeled as a butcher and kill whats left because you scalped the lawn.
        I have about 5-6 cabin lawns that I do through out the season, (once a month) & I charged them an hourly rate to cut them the first time,& that gave me an Idea of where I should be at price wise each time I cut..but I do these same lawns all season, so If your doing different lawns all the time then I would just charge an hourly/man hour rate for all of them..you would have to in most cases still give an overall bid total,but try & be within 20-30 $ one way or the other with the bid & you should do fine...hope this helps!

Comment

I figure that the lawn should be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and growth rate of 1/2 inch per week. so a lawn that is 12 inches long has not been cut in 18 to 20 weeks. times the usual price per cut. The most recent one that comes to mind is a mobile home park lot that would be 10 bucks. times 20 weeks. 200 bucks to mow, trim and pickup the clippings. I cut as high as I can, then slowly lower the cut to 3 inches.

Now I am not sure that this is a good way to do it, I have been turned down on each one I have bid. I really didn't want them, as they tear up my machine, wast my blades, and generally are a pain in the a** to do.

Comment

mobile home park lawns are generally a lot smaller for sure & would definitly require you raking up & taking the clippings,of which you would charge for too.I only have a few small lawns I do, but I have a bunton ztr w/vac & blower attachments so It makes for easier cleanup of lawns,ie; knock it down firs then vac....

Comment

figure that the lawn should be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and growth rate of 1/2 inch per week. so a lawn that is 12 inches long has not been cut in 18 to 20 weeks. times the usual price per cut. The most recent one that comes to mind is a mobile home park lot that would be 10 bucks. times 20 weeks. 200 bucks to mow, trim and pickup the clippings. I cut as high as I can, then slowly lower the cut to 3 inches.
              How much longer do you feel it would take you to mow such a lawn?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How would a profesional handle this and try to make their lawn look nice as possible so you are not labeled as a butcher and kill whats left because you scalped the lawn.
                How a professional would do it, is try and stay as close to the 1/3 rule as possible. 1/3 of 12 is 4 inches. If you cut 4 inches off a 12 inch lawn the municapality will not find the property owner. You then go back 5 days latter a cut 1/3 of the 9.5 inch lawn. and then go back 5 days latter and cut 2.5 inches off the 6.5 inch lawn. Chargeing for a doubble mow each time or twice your normal rate. In just under 3 weeks you can have the lawn looking pretty good. It will not be hard on your machine, it will not be hard on the turff, and you will be getting a fair price for you expertice.

Comment

Working...
                X