Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mulching job that I finished today, What would you charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mulching job that I finished today, What would you charge?

What's up,
    Just got finished with a big(for me) mulching job, I'm pretty pleased with the results, I did this by myself. I move ALL of the mulch today, 17.5 yards in a day, that's my new record

What was done;
    Lots of weeding,
    17.5 yards of mulch
    about 500square feet of fabric
    128' of 4" brown metal edging
    removed a small tree

What would yall charge for a job like this?

Attached Files

That is crazy that you moved that much mulch by yourself. The most I ever did was 6 yards in 5 hours. After that I bought a small loader so I would never be in that situation again. Anyways nice job go take a hot bath.

Comment

I wouldn't charge less than 1000 (for labor alone).... I charge $32 to spread a yard of mulch...The total seems high but it is impressive that you moved that much mulch....How much did you charge?

Comment

Just under 1600

Comment

We're going to have to have you tested for performance enhancing drugs.

Comment

Lol, I had majority of it dumped at the top of the hill so gravity did save me a ton of work, however the island on the bottom was like 5.5 yards and i did that from the driveway... it was close but it was an uphill battle

Comment

Hmm..there is no nice way to say this but..if I were that homeowner I wouldn't be pleased. It looks like sh*t. No clean edge lines, uneven against foundation of home, lumpy .. That being said..Holy sh*t 17.5 yards 1 guy is crazy.

Comment

yeah, looks lumpy, home owner did not want to pay for the edging on the beds, so there was none.

Comment

Well then I retract my comment..customer gets what they pay for. I hate mulching and not edging! Can't polish turds

Comment

I dont even do mulch without edging the beds. It makes such a huge difference. If the homeowner is going to have you do all that it should have been edged. If there was a really nice clean tight line by those stairs it would make a world of difference. Making sure the mulch is smooth and evenly raked is key too. I would have sold some plants to them as well. That open space by the steps needs some plantings. Theres a ton of great perennials and shrubs that would make that spot really pop.But like everyone else has said that is a sh!tload of mulch to move by yourself.

Comment

Well then I retract my comment..customer gets what they pay for. I hate mulching and not edging! Can't polish turds
                      I get this problem a lot when I hand them a estimate for 12-15 yards. There like well we can cut out the edging. If you do that it wont look as nice. We can do that ourselves. Guess what they never do.

Comment

Great job! How many hours did it take you? Did that include all the bed prep work too?

Do you feel you learned anything from doing that job? Would you do it differently next time?
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I dont even do mulch without edging the beds. It makes such a huge difference. If the homeowner is going to have you do all that it should have been edged. If there was a really nice clean tight line by those stairs it would make a world of difference. Making sure the mulch is smooth and evenly raked is key too. I would have sold some plants to them as well. That open space by the steps needs some plantings. Theres a ton of great perennials and shrubs that would make that spot really pop.But like everyone else has said that is a sh!tload of mulch to move by yourself.
                          I agree that it does make a big difference, but most of my clients (70%) don't live at these houses (its' their lake house) so they don't want to pour money into their once a month home, if you know what i mean.

There was this one guy who wanted an estimate for mulch at his summer house, I estimated it to be about 15-17 yards of mulch, then the beds had a bunch of leaves and weeds in them so i also included cleaning that out and it ended up being about 1,100 to do all of the work (would have charged more nowadays but i was still learning my pricing)

Sent him the estimate and he said "The amount of work and the estimate is much higher than I was planning to spend on this modest house thatís only used a few times per month.". I was thinking to my self, just because you come here a few times a month doesn't discount the service?.

I asked about his budget for this project; he said $500

Comment

Great job! How many hours did it take you? Did that include all the bed prep work too?

Do you feel you learned anything from doing that job? Would you do it differently next time?
                            It took about 6 hours to move all of the mulch, prep work was done last week, so it was just straight up moving mulch with a big wheelbarrow

...and the prep work probably took about 6-8 hours? The hill by the steps was actually previously mulched and had the cheap plastic-rubbery fabric down with the pine bark chunks , so I tilled that up and had to fight with the grass, chunks, and the old fabric.
                            I bought a walk behind edger and managed to put the 128' of metal edging down in 1 hour!

Comment

shiiit and i was feeling guilty (thought i was low balling my self) that i charge a client 400.00 for 1 1/2 of mulch and some weed cleaning. men i love this site.

Comment

Working...
                              X