Retaining wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining wall

I am to give an estimate to put in a retaining wall along a driveway. How should one be installed? I never did one before, not sure I want to, but what does it entail?
    http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

I am to give an estimate to put in a retaining wall along a driveway. How should one be installed? I never did one before, not sure I want to, but what does it entail?
    I have installed a retaining wall for my mom...your going to be getting into a good bit of work.

Im not a pro or anything, I learned mostly how to do it from the internet. I dug out the area the wall was going to be placed in, put stone down tamped and leveled it. I layed out a string so I had a straight line to follow. I put down the first layer of block, which in the end was slightly underground for the base. I then just layed the other blocks on top until I got to the top tier which I glued on.
    sigpic
    Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

There are alot of different factors concerning retaining walls, liability being number one, If you can , talk with someone that does this regularly before you try to bid it...Good luck....

Comment

Dont tackle this unless you know what your doing. Like was stated above there are a ton of factors that could be an issue. How much of a slope are you putting the wall against. Do you need rebar? Depending on size and severity of slope it it could be a tough job. Dont do it if you dont know whats up. It could make you look really bad and could lead to major problems.

Comment

I am to give an estimate to put in a retaining wall along a driveway.
          How long and how high would it be?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I have not done measurements as yet, looks like a wall already exists, they want to replace this wall, just looking for an estimate to do it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=8719+W...,97.29,,1,5.11

Comment

My back hurts just thinking about it.

I wish I could help. I did a small "garden wall" in my back yard and it turned out well - hasn't moved at all. I don't have any really good advice except that the base is critical. Once that is prepped right and absolutely level, the rest is fairly easy.

Gravel and maybe some landscape fabric behind the wall for drainage.

Sorry, not a wealth of info, I know.

There's good money in walls, and nearly every single home in my area has some sort of retaining wall, but they aren't something I want to do.

Comment

My back hurts just thinking about it.

I wish I could help. I did a small "garden wall" in my back yard and it turned out well - hasn't moved at all. I don't have any really good advice except that the base is critical. Once that is prepped right and absolutely level, the rest is fairly easy.

Gravel and maybe some landscape fabric behind the wall for drainage.

Sorry, not a wealth of info, I know.

There's good money in walls, and nearly every single home in my area has some sort of retaining wall, but they aren't something I want to do.
                Base is critical no doubt. How much earth is behind the wall?? If there is a lot of material behind the wall depending on where you are you have to worry about frost heaves( expansion and contraction),you need to have some kind of support. I mean if its just a tiny wall then its not so critical to support it but you want to do it right.
                Last edited by wat5150; 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

for u my friend just an idea

Attached Files

Comment

That wall doesnt look to technical. Your looking at about 6-8 man hours just to tear the old wall down. Dump fees for the stone. A lot of places wont take construction material and when they do its around $100 a ton. It will take a couple trips to dump and pick up. Then you still have the install and materials. Step one as always is measuring the wall.

Comment

whats wrong with the old wall ?if theres nothing really wrong with it and they just want it updated then depending on the types of construction between the two,you may get off easy by just removing the upper sections leaving the base.If the wall is cracked and crumbling [highly likely ] ,then you have a much bigger problem on your hands .

Comment

The old wall was erected with slate rock. She does not like the way it looks and wants to change it out for landscape bricking into a wall.

Measures about 2 ft high, with a gradual decline and curves around the front. The lawn butts up against the stones there now. Looking at about 50 feet in length.

Comment

Have you priced out the materials needed for that wall? Does the customer know what they want to use instead?
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

i am going to give a rough appraisal just by my experience so u say 50 ft x3ft high of retaining wall that's around 200 pieces of block if u use a L12x8x10 stone i will buy 350 just in case, at 3.00 for each stone will around 1150.00 in stone plus delivery + 5 yards of soil+5 yards limestone or water ever u want to call it dust rock, base material this a very simple wall it wont be holding a lot of pressure most call a decorative garden wall. after 3 feet high u will need a net for to put soil and reinforced ur wall will be around 4 ft high i will cap it and build a lot of **** around that pillars etc.
                            so the material a will appraised at 2255.00

now comes the fun u have to remove around 2 to 3 feet of soil in decline for back filling then dig the down to bury an entire block, so lets say if ur block is 8 inches high u have to dig around 11 to 12 in X 2 ft so u put base material to make ur bed and level the blocks, look for the lowest point to bury your first row then that's the way to go easy as that retaining walls its easy and they are big money makers. i totally love them and they love me back.

so how much for the labor i can do a 150ft X 4ft high by self and 4 days. ive done 100ft in 2 days i charge 2500.00 to 3500.00 bucks for 3 days of work and guarantied the wall for 5 years, if u know what u doing .

so ur total will be 5755.00 just for the retaining wall, there is more u can do that place needs a lift up to much darkness, color will enhance the beauty and the value of it try to sell some plants some mulch.

you can easy come with 10,000 grands or more from that place if u do your appraisal right.

i usually do 2 appraisal. What the client ask for, and i call it Landscapers choice. always say that if it was my house i will have it done my way.
                            this works every time.

Comment

thanks for that info, we are giving her 2 separate estimates, one for the wall, and one for mulch install with bush trimming. She does not plan to do the wall until probably next spring or summer. So she is looking for a price for that only for right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X