mulch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulch

Is $22 for 3/4 yard to cubic yard of black mulch. I have a 88'x18', 19'x13', and a 40'x19' area to place mulch at. I've came up that it is 26 yards. Is 494$ to much for 26 cubic yards? That's without delievery and me picking it up without charging...

Mulch where I live is $30-$35 a cubic yard, so in my book $22 is cheap!

Is this for a customer? I would charge the price you paid for a yard and multiply that by 2, that how much I would charge them, that would pay for the mulch and the labor.
    Last edited by xandrew245x; 07-27-2012, 06:25 AM.
    sigpic
    Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

I am so LOST $494/26 = $19 a yard

Comment

I am so LOST $494/26 = $19 a yard
        Yeah thats what I was thinking to will, I don't know, maybe it was price at 22 a yard, but was discounted for the bulk he was buying?? I don't know.
        sigpic
        Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

Mulch where I live is $30-$35 a cubic yard, so in my book $22 is cheap!
          $29-$38 here. So yes thats cheap. Now what do you mean by 3/4-1 yard?

I would get it delivered. Even if you can fit 8 yards in a dump truck, your still taking 3 or more trips. Most places charge $40-$75 for delivery. Which will be cheaper then your cost.

Even if my mulch was that cheap my labor wouldnt be. I would be in the range of $1000-$1250 in labor.

Comment

3/4 yard is a bucket full he said.

Well crap, I sorta sent an e-mail to my customer already. lol I used an online program to come up with this. :-/ I hope I didn't mess up. lol. I told her I wouldn't mark up the price just cause they are super big into the county I live and know alot of high people who they'd get me some nice jobs.

They want a french ditch installed. Hedges trimmed and mulch installed and a few plants removed/installed. She wanted to keep everything under 1000 bucks and wanted me to work for her per the hour. :-/ I sorta put my foot in my mouth by saying 20 dollars per hour.

Comment

Well if your working by yourself youll spend a good 30 hours spreading it. You can do a 1 yard a hour but after about 3 yards. You start to slow down.

The bucket size should have nothing to with anything. Whether they use 1/2 yard bucket or a 2 yard bucket. Your buying by the yard. So if this guy tries to give you 26 3/4 buckets. Hes beating you for a few yards.

Comment

Ah...how do you plan on spreading that much multch?!

Why not just call a place to have it blown in? They usually give a discount when you get into the 3rd unit. So they blow it in in a couple of hours, and you still walk away with a couple hundred bucks.

I once had a guy who needed 40 yards of bark installed, and I told him I'll get it blown in. He wanted me to spread it by hand. I told him it would have been almost $2000 to do it by hand, and even so, I won't do it.

You're going to kill yourself spreading that much multch. Also, your getting $494 worth of multch delivered. And even if you can instal a yard every hour for only $20/hr, that's $520 in labor. So you are already over the $1,000.

I would call the lady back and explain you misspoke with the quote, and correct how much it will cost.

Comment

Well crap, I sorta sent an e-mail to my customer already. lol I used an online program to come up with this. :-/ I hope I didn't mess up. lol. I told her I wouldn't mark up the price just cause they are super big into the county I live and know alot of high people who they'd get me some nice jobs.

They want a french ditch installed. Hedges trimmed and mulch installed and a few plants removed/installed. She wanted to keep everything under 1000 bucks and wanted me to work for her per the hour. :-/ I sorta put my foot in my mouth by saying 20 dollars per hour.
                  Holy Chit Man!!!! Call her back and tell her things changed. Tell her your suppier upped his price. Tell her something. If you do that job for that amount of money your crazy. Wow, talk about low balling. I would fix this problem soon

Comment

If you don't have the experience bidding on this big of a job , you shouldn't . If you don't even have an idea on how to come up with a dollar amount for yourself per yard, you shouldn't be soon this work...and if you can't even spell Mulch!....you shouldn't be in this business ...wow , but you pulled the trigger already and odds are your gonna look unprofessional and lose the job
                    if you call back and say hey I messed up. That harsh criticism being said...good luck.

Comment

If you don't have the experience bidding on this big of a job , you shouldn't . If you don't even have an idea on how to come up with a dollar amount for yourself per yard, you shouldn't be soon this work...and if you can't even spell Mulch!....you shouldn't be in this business ...wow , but you pulled the trigger already and odds are your gonna look unprofessional and lose the job
                      if you call back and say hey I messed up. That harsh criticism being said...good luck.
                      LOL. All very valid points. I have noticed a boat load of grammatical errors on here!!! Good thing some of us arent English teachers!!! Anyway man, you have to know whats going on before you bid on this. Apex is right, you need to come off being professional and look like you know whats up. Just put yourself in the shoes of your potential client. What would you think?? Would you hire a guy that is unsure and doesnt seem to have a firm grasp on what the job entails? Remember you have to walk before you run...LOL

Comment

I dont know how much the blower mulch people charge but he didnt leave enough room in the bid to hire anyone.

Mulch jobs over 10 yards we typically have a few guys and a kubota. It takes only a few hours this way. For 26 yards you need a small army or 4 guys and a small loader.

To give you a slight idea of what your getting into. Your going to have to fill up 180 wheelbarrows with mulch.

Comment

I dont know how much the blower mulch people charge but he didnt leave enough room in the bid to hire anyone.

Mulch jobs over 10 yards we typically have a few guys and a kubota. It takes only a few hours this way. For 26 yards you need a small army or 4 guys and a small loader.

To give you a slight idea of what your getting into. Your going to have to fill up 180 wheelbarrows with mulch.
                          Man...180 wheelbarrows sums it up perfectly...hopefully you you plan it on a day that's 70 degrees and overcast...and hopefully your not one of those guys who rock the skinny jeans!!!!

Comment

Wow ! You should do the job and give her about $2000.00 because if you do that job that's what happening. I get mulch for $28 a yard. I charge $90 a yard. That gets it to their house and gets it spread out. I'm one of the cheapest guys around here.

Comment

lol. I've done 12 yards in one day by myself. Never again.

Comment

Working...
                              X