X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffcs
    started a topic Help bidding tall grass

Help bidding tall grass

need some help here fellow mowers. i am cutting grass for the city.

have a property that i went by today, the grass is 4 to 5 feet tall, yes, you read that correctly.

ideas on how to tackle this job, thanks

• CHEESE2009
    replied
    Wear, tear, and risk, all increase when doing jobs such as tall grass.

It's not something I would recommend, but there is a 50/50 chance that something might f'up or it will go rather smoothly.

Personally, I try to stay clear of long grass.

Everyone is right on this thread, no sides to choose between.

Leave a comment:

• WeekendWarriorLawn
    replied
    i could do it.

you take your time, tilt it upwards when it bogs. you can get through anything if you have a good enough running mower.

Leave a comment:

• yourscape
    replied
    For such jobs do you bid them on an hourly basis due to the unknown of what you would find in the high grass or do you give a price based on the amount of time you feel it will take?
    I normally bid the job what I think it would take with a little extra time. I don't bid less the $175 since the time for the maintance that has to be done. It's good money but a hassle unless you don't take care of your equipment.

Leave a comment:

• PineHillLawn
    replied

I cut some pretty tall grass 2008/9, went better than expected with a self propelled, mulching - 1 pass.

If the grass was like mine, I'm sure your equipment did just fine. It was mostly dry and full of weeds, nothing lush.
    Yeah, it doesnt take some special equipment to get a job done. Yeah I may have had to resharpen the blades but I have to anyway. Just because its not what you would have done doesnt mean I shouldve let it go. I've got bills to pay and a family to feed, plus and I walked the land before I took the job and looked for any obstacles that would damage the mower. I didnt hurt the mower itself one bit.

Leave a comment:

• CHEESE2009
    replied

I cut some pretty tall grass 2008/9, went better than expected with a self propelled, mulching - 1 pass.

If the grass was like mine, I'm sure your equipment did just fine. It was mostly dry and full of weeds, nothing lush.
    Last edited by CHEESE2009; 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffcs
    replied
    One half of a penny per square foot?
    or am I wrong?
    you are correct, last week we billed for 134,000sf

Leave a comment:

• thom
    replied
    thanks for all the input. i passed it up, the city is only paying .005 per sq ft
    One half of a penny per square foot?
    or am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I charge roughly $125 a hour (on site) to do this and takes me about 2.5 hours to do 10k sq ft yard.
    For such jobs do you bid them on an hourly basis due to the unknown of what you would find in the high grass or do you give a price based on the amount of time you feel it will take?

Leave a comment:

• PineHillLawn
    replied
    Come on you mowed chest high with ZTR, in two passes? I can only imagine what the lawn looks like after taking your mower in to something like that.
    You can think what you want! I'm not saying I didn't have to reshapen the blades afterward but with a 28 HP kohler my ZTR did just what I said. It left grass laying everywhere but I wasn't instructed to do anything but knock it down.

Leave a comment:

• jeffcs
    replied
    thanks for all the input. i passed it up, the city is only paying .005 per sq ft

Leave a comment:

• yourscape
    replied
    Tall grass Cutting

need some help here fellow mowers. i am cutting grass for the city.

have a property that i went by today, the grass is 4 to 5 feet tall, yes, you read that correctly.

ideas on how to tackle this job, thanks
    I have actually done many of these this year. I normally use my walk behind at the highest setting. You will need to go over it at least 3-4 times in different directions if you are trying to bring the yard back to life or it will just clump up and smoother out the grass.

Word of advise before you even start cutting walk the property thoroughly with you trimmer and clearing a 1-2 ft section of every log, brick, whole ect that you don't want to run your mower over with.

The biggest thing to remember when bidding this is a risky job to do because you are very likely to hit something and bend a shaft or even worse if you miss something. Also figure the time to perform the maintenance when completed with the job (cleaning equipment, sharping blades, ect).

I charge roughly $125 a hour (on site) to do this and takes me about 2.5 hours to do 10k sq ft yard. Yes it is good $ as long as you don't damage anything.

My son love doing these yards with me so I keep taking them on.

My last job:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Can you rent a brush hog?

How long are you thinking this will take you?

Leave a comment:

• B-2 Lawncare
    replied
    I mowed one a month ago that was chest high. I just used my ZTR set the deck at the highest setting and mowed it. Then went back with a second pass set at 3". Made $100 in about 45 minutes.
    Come on you mowed chest high with ZTR, in two passes? I can only imagine what the lawn looks like after taking your mower in to something like that.

Leave a comment:

• CHEESE2009
    replied
    Depending on the property, the city might only need someone to mow once per month, or less...

Schools get mowed weekly, while other strips (like jogging paths) rarely get mowed.

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X