Help bidding tall grass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help bidding tall grass

need some help here fellow mowers. i am cutting grass for the city.

have a property that i went by today, the grass is 4 to 5 feet tall, yes, you read that correctly.

ideas on how to tackle this job, thanks

have a property that i went by today, the grass is 4 to 5 feet tall, yes, you read that correctly.

I would use a machete and pretend I am on a african safari....

Comment

Brush hog!

Comment

How big is the property? is there a reason why the grass is so high..city doesn't pay on time or at all and previous guy quit?what equipment are you working with? I'd try a walk behind trimmer unit like the D.R trimmer with a metal blade attachment and tackle it a section at a time and rake it up. Not much you can do if the property has been let go..I personally would say screw that and walk away!

Comment

I mowed one a month ago that was chest high. I just used my ZTR set the deck at the highest setting and mowed it. Then went back with a second pass set at 3". Made $100 in about 45 minutes.

Comment

Depending on the property, the city might only need someone to mow once per month, or less...

Schools get mowed weekly, while other strips (like jogging paths) rarely get mowed.

Comment

I mowed one a month ago that was chest high. I just used my ZTR set the deck at the highest setting and mowed it. Then went back with a second pass set at 3". Made $100 in about 45 minutes.
              Come on you mowed chest high with ZTR, in two passes? I can only imagine what the lawn looks like after taking your mower in to something like that.

Comment

Can you rent a brush hog?

How long are you thinking this will take you?

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Tall grass Cutting

I have actually done many of these this year. I normally use my walk behind at the highest setting. You will need to go over it at least 3-4 times in different directions if you are trying to bring the yard back to life or it will just clump up and smoother out the grass.

Word of advise before you even start cutting walk the property thoroughly with you trimmer and clearing a 1-2 ft section of every log, brick, whole ect that you don't want to run your mower over with.

The biggest thing to remember when bidding this is a risky job to do because you are very likely to hit something and bend a shaft or even worse if you miss something. Also figure the time to perform the maintenance when completed with the job (cleaning equipment, sharping blades, ect).

I charge roughly $125 a hour (on site) to do this and takes me about 2.5 hours to do 10k sq ft yard. Yes it is good $ as long as you don't damage anything.

My son love doing these yards with me so I keep taking them on.

My last job:
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanks for all the input. i passed it up, the city is only paying .005 per sq ft

Comment

Come on you mowed chest high with ZTR, in two passes? I can only imagine what the lawn looks like after taking your mower in to something like that.
                      You can think what you want! I'm not saying I didn't have to reshapen the blades afterward but with a 28 HP kohler my ZTR did just what I said. It left grass laying everywhere but I wasn't instructed to do anything but knock it down.

Comment

I charge roughly $125 a hour (on site) to do this and takes me about 2.5 hours to do 10k sq ft yard.
                        For such jobs do you bid them on an hourly basis due to the unknown of what you would find in the high grass or do you give a price based on the amount of time you feel it will take?
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

thanks for all the input. i passed it up, the city is only paying .005 per sq ft
                          One half of a penny per square foot?
                          or am I wrong?

Comment

One half of a penny per square foot?
                            or am I wrong?
                            you are correct, last week we billed for 134,000sf

Comment

I cut some pretty tall grass 2008/9, went better than expected with a self propelled, mulching - 1 pass.

If the grass was like mine, I'm sure your equipment did just fine. It was mostly dry and full of weeds, nothing lush.
                              Last edited by CHEESE2009; 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X