How do you remove paint off a deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove paint off a deck

I have a customer that wants to have a deck stained in his back yard. The problem is, the top of the railing and the floor is painted. How is the best way to remove the paint to put on a fresh stain coating? What product works the best to strip the paint off without destroying the wood?

Thanks!
    http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

you can use pressure or thinner. With care either will work.

Comment

Do you have a preference of one method over the other? If so, why?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Do you have a preference of one method over the other? If so, why?
        well with chemicals you still have to spray it off or peel it. It does come off easier. Its probably safer for the wood with thinner since it takes less pressure.

Comment

You do not want to use any chemicals . do not use ( Paint Thinner! ) Oil stainning is very easy to cover up .

1. get ( oil primer paint)
          2. let it dry
          3. get the paint the customer wants to use
          4. make sure that paint the customer wants is ( oil paint )
          6. paint away and watch it stay and look good

this is coming from a painter that has ( 11 years ) in the business

My Bad miss read the question . ( sorry )

to put a ( fresh coat ) of ( stain ) on do this

1. Sand down the old ( stain )
          2. wipe down or vaccum up the dust
          3. stain (2 coats ) is the best for a richer look
          Last edited by mac83; 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, the customer does not want paint, he insists on stain. So what product can I use to remove the paint, or make it so I can power wash it after I apply it to remove it? Sanding is not an option also...

Comment

Can anyone recommend a paint stripper to use before I power spray the deck?

Comment

Citristrip is not that toxic. You can leave it on for a while.

Comment

Let us know how this works out and take some pictures.
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

First off, I have done many decks and when you find one that is painted....

RUN!!!

Some of the suggestions that have been given are bad ideas.

You have to get over thinking that this is going to be easy. There will be more sanding involved than you think and never use less than 80 grit and do not use a belt sander.

One way to reduce the amount of sanding is to flip the boards. You will end up having to replace a few of them. Then you hit it with a sodium hydroxide based stripper and pressure wash with about 800-1200 psi. Then before it dries you hit it with oxalic or citric acid (or a combination of the 2) to neutralize the stripper and brighten the wood.

Then you let it dry out. With the paint on the other side I would wait 3-4 days and then coat it with a good oil based stain.

Really the best thing for a painted deck is a good pair of running shoes (Nike or Reebok work well) as that would start out at a minimum of $1000 and that is without me even knowing the size of the deck. It is going to be very expensive for the customer.

Last thing is you need to walk away and outsource this to someone that does this kind of work all the time. Make a little bit for yourself but without the headache.
                    Pat

Comment

I forgot to add that if the wood is IPE then you have a whole different ball game there. Mess that up and it WILL get very expensive.

I know that everyone is fighting for that $$$ but you have to use your mind also. You can not be all things to all people.

1. Your insurance probably will not cover you for this type of work.
                      2. This take a whole different set of equipment and knowledge.
                      3. Your insurance probably will not cover you for this type of work.
                      4. Part of something is better than nothing.
                      5. Customers will respect your opinion and honesty.
                      6. Your insurance probably will not cover you for this type of work.
                      7. You have gained a new contact with the deck stainer that may throw lawn work your direction.

It is not that you can't do it but you would be better served making more sales for your business than sanding a deck.

Also it should be your goal to provide your customers with the best possible service, even if that means turning it over to someone else.
                      Last edited by The Cleaning Doctor; 05-12-2012, 12:56 PM.
                      Pat

Comment

One way to reduce the amount of sanding is to flip the boards. You will end up having to replace a few of them
                        Something to keep in mind about doing this is, the time it takes to flip the boards can be deceiving. We have seen talk on here about decks made with these spiral nails that can really hold down the boards. You wouldn't know they were used either until you tried to start and pry them up.

Comment

Working...
                        X