Cut Throat!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Throat!

Went to bid a mulch job this morning 20 yards with no prep work just a simple overlay.

I get my mulch for 21.00 per yard
    I charged 21.00 per yard to do a simple overlay.

I have always charged 45.00 per yard bought and installed, but quoted this job at 42.00 per yard to try to woo the homeowner

20 yards at 42.00 per yard= 840.00
    time spent on job would of been 5-6 hours with 2 men.
    Gross would have been 420.00
    I would have paid my help 80.00 (Weekend help)
    Gas cost would of been 20.00

I was looking at a profit of 320.00 (not bad) for a Saturday

The customer just called me to say I did not get the job my price was wayy high.

The chump who got the job is doing it for 31.00 per yard (beer money) 10.00 per yard profit LMFAO!!!

To all new business owners please don't drive the price down in this industry... Were in business to make money not work for free!

I was willing to low ball a few bucks and thats fine...BUT HALF OF WHAT I CHARGE THATS B.S.

I told the old lady "you get what you pay for" her reply was its just dumping mulch in the flower bed..... Yep if thats what your paying for.
    If you can't be good..Be good at it!

20 yards is a lot of mulch
    Evansville Lawn Mowing
    Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

I charge 3x's that and still get 4/5 jobs I bid. I also charge $50-$75 delivery. All prep work and clean up is additional.

You guys are getting your mulch for half the price though. Around here it ranges from $30-$45 a yard.

Comment

Were you getting any feeling this customer was going to go this way as you talked with them?

Also, when you gave the bid, were they looking to get it done or were they gonna kick tires for a bit on it?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I registered as a business at my local nursery where I get my mulch & I get a $10.00 discount per yard of mulch that I purchase.
          http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

mulch

yep they get what they pay for !!!! that's for sure if you want a drinker to do it for beer money and expect to have a few sprinkler heads replaced or repaired our local sprinkler repair guy gets $90.00 to show up and normally fixes most problems in the hour included in the $90.00 but if he needs to replace heads or do plumbing repairs its going to cost you more for sure ..in the long run she should have went with you... a pro ...

lawnman3 fl...

its all good though...
            { gettin after the green}...

Comment

I registered as a business at my local nursery where I get my mulch & I get a $10.00 discount per yard of mulch that I purchase.
              I registered with all the nurseries and they all do 10%. That only amounts to $3-$5 and no tax. You have it sweet down there.

Comment

If you pay $21/per, you should mark that up by at least 8%. You have to factor in your time consumption of purchasing. I quote much higher than you and have a decent closing rate.

I don't worry about the low ballers, there's generally enough business to go around

Comment

20 yards is a lot of mulch
                  Indeed.

Before I was doing this full time I agreed to spread 20 yards for someone.
                  The truck dumped the mulch and I nearly pooped my pants.
                  That was the most mulch I had seen all at one time. One guy with a shovel, rake, and a wheelbarrow, but I got it done.

Every client is different. Some see it as stated, "just dumping some mulch". Some see it as an improvement to their home and neighborhood. Some don't care WHAT it costs so long as THEY don't have to do it.

Comment

Before I was doing this full time I agreed to spread 20 yards for someone.
                    The truck dumped the mulch and I nearly pooped my pants.
                    That was the most mulch I had seen all at one time. One guy with a shovel, rake, and a wheelbarrow, but I got it done.
                    OMG! How long did that take you?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

OMG! How long did that take you?
                      LOL
                      I can't remember to be honest. I was doing several projects so I was there for a few days, but I think it took me 8 hours one day and I finished it the following day. That also included digging/edging the beds. There were two good sized bed areas. I didn't think that mountain of mulch was ever going to disappear!

Comment

If you pay $21/per, you should mark that up by at least 8%. You have to factor in your time consumption of purchasing. I quote much higher than you and have a decent closing rate.

I don't worry about the low ballers, there's generally enough business to go around
                        What state are you in? Your not in Florida... 8% mark up LOL!! This job was marked up 100% and I cut the homeowner a break of 60.00. Like I said this was a simple overlay.. 100% mark up....Ill buy the gas and pay for the phone call. My price is standard around here.. standard for a respectable landscaper.

I dont worry about the "low ballers"......To me thats telling

I hope you made a type-O 8% I know better than that.. 80% now thats more like it.

What state are you in? How much do you get your mulch for? What do you charge to install? what do you charge for Prep work? or do you charge per man hour?
                        If you can't be good..Be good at it!

Comment

What state are you in? Your not in Florida... 8% mark up LOL!! This job was marked up 100% and I cut the homeowner a break of 60.00. Like I said this was a simple overlay.. 100% mark up....Ill buy the gas and pay for the phone call. My price is standard around here.. standard for a respectable landscaper.

I dont worry about the "low ballers"......To me thats telling

I hope you made a type-O 8% I know better than that.. 80% now thats more like it.

What state are you in? How much do you get your mulch for? What do you charge to install? what do you charge for Prep work? or do you charge per man hour?
                          You said you are charged $21 for mulch and you charged the customer $21...? Where is the 100% markup

I'm in Louisiana

I have a minimum markup of 8% on materials at market price (I get below market price based on volume). Depending on the material it could be a lot my markup may be more.

Maybe I didn't clarify when suggesting your markup. I handle my material costs and labor differently in my pricing. I mark up the materials and then I factor in my hourly rate to develop a price estimate.
                          Last edited by JesseN; 05-12-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X