Need help with large bid!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with large bid!

I have recieved a request to submit a bid for next year. It is approx 180 acres of govt. property that was formerly a boarding school for veterans children, it is currently closed down. I was instructed by the current matenence supervisor that he cannot show me around without government clearance. Although he did let me know that the previous lawn care company charged $2700/wk with ten 72" mowers that took four 8hr days to mow & trim as they go. He said when he mowed it, it took three 8hr days with a 11' fairway mower, a zero turn, and two other guys to help. I'm not sure how to bid without any measurements. i would love to get this job so I don't want to bid too high but also do not want to lose my a** two years into the business. any suggestions will help.

I have recieved a request to submit a bid for next year. It is approx 180 acres of govt. property that was formerly a boarding school for veterans children, it is currently closed down. I was instructed by the current matenence supervisor that he cannot show me around without government clearance. Although he did let me know that the previous lawn care company charged $2700/wk with ten 72" mowers that took four 8hr days to mow & trim as they go. He said when he mowed it, it took three 8hr days with a 11' fairway mower, a zero turn, and two other guys to help. I'm not sure how to bid without any measurements. i would love to get this job so I don't want to bid too high but also do not want to lose my a** two years into the business. any suggestions will help.
    Not to rain on your parade, but i think it sounds like too much too soon! When will you have time For other customers!? 10 72" mowers for four 8 hr days! That's $100,000 in equipment. 2700 a week , 10 guys for 4 8 hr days is already 3200 . Best of luck though in your decision

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, but i think it sounds like too much too soon! When will you have time For other customers!? 10 72" mowers for four 8 hr days! That's $100,000 in equipment. 2700 a week , 10 guys for 4 8 hr days is already 3200 . Best of luck though in your decision
      Thats what I was thinking. After wages and gas your looking at $4000 in expenses. You could cut the man hours down by using gang mowers but I dont know if they will work on the property or not.

You would have to decide if its worth it. Say the guys numbers are right on. Then if you had the equipment, you could charge say $10000 a week(extremely low). That would leave you with $6000 for 4 days work.

It just doesnt add up. If I was putting 320 man hours in. I would want at least $12,800 back.

Comment

thanks for the responses, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the price of $2700 is too low. My business partner seems to think its too high. This feedback will definitely help out our debate. Thanks again!

Comment

thanks for the responses, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the price of $2700 is too low. My business partner seems to think its too high. This feedback will definitely help out our debate. Thanks again!
          Your business partner is nuts. I did a 23 acre campground for $2100 week. Does he realize the investment needed to do this job? You might be able to get 10 used ztr for $40000 but thats a if.

Comment

Your business partner is nuts. I did a 23 acre campground for $2100 week. Does he realize the investment needed to do this job? You might be able to get 10 used ztr for $40000 but thats a if.
            We need a "like" button!

Comment

We need a "like" button!
              Look below the post, do you see it? Does it work? I just recently added it.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I am so lost right now are we really talking about $8.44 a man hour billed ($2700/320man hours)

z-turn mowers eat like a gallon an hour 320hours * $4 gallon = $1280 cost

Comment

If it is 180 acres in one spot, then 72 inch mowers not even the right tool for the job. Would need a multi-year contract to even consider investing in the equipment that you would need.
                  Evansville Lawn Mowing
                  Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

I am so lost right now are we really talking about $8.44 a man hour billed ($2700/320man hours)

z-turn mowers eat like a gallon an hour 320hours * $4 gallon = $1280 cost

heck, forget about man hour rates because with 180 acres for 2,700.00 per week that works out to 15.00 per acre.

i don't care if you got no work at all that is a waste of time and you are better off staying home and making nothing then go there to cost you money.

i would not do anything for the government, especially considering they are broke and even when things are good they take 6 months to pay and just for the fact that the bid is for a site that is closed it most definitly is a dead horse.

i used to do work for the picatinny arsenal here in nj and they were usually 4 to six months behind on paying the bills and the work did not pay that well to begin with.

landscapers don't make much off the government only the businesses that make bombs, aircraft and host conventions make big money off the fed.

Comment

320 hours for 180 acres - even if using a 72" seems way high. Guy that told you this may be friends with people mowing it & trying to dissuade you from bidding on it. 320 hours a month maybe.
                      Evansville Lawn Mowing
                      Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Working...
                      X