HELP! Bidding 26 Acre Cemetery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Bidding 26 Acre Cemetery

So an opportunity has opened up where I can bid on a 26 acre cemetery. All they want is a bid for the mowing. I feel I have enough equipment, and know I will have 3 or 4 guys for additional help. Do you guys think I will be able to handle something like this, and has anyone ever done any cemeteries that has prior experience and knowledge to share. Also... what would be a reasonable bid, as I feel like I have know idea. If I charged $60 and acre, As I would for residential, that be a $1,560 per cut. I feel that's wayyyy to high. What does everyone think? Thanks for the help.

First off what equipment do you have?

Do they just want mowing (what about edging and blowing)?

Where I live in Bellevue, WA the going rate per acre is 85$ so what is the going rate where you live?

Do they want the job completed in a certain number of hours?

Do they want haul away? How much is to dump?

Curtis Michael
    President
    The Grounds Crew
    (425) 765-2638
    www.thegroundscrewllc.com

Comment

is this every week? longer grass takes longer
      are there head stones?
      If there are headstones I think you are way low trimming will kill you

Comment

is this every week? longer grass takes longer
        are there head stones?
        If there are headstones I think you are way low trimming will kill you
        Yes every week, and there are head stones. How much more do you think I should charge for the trimming. I don't know how many head stones there are, but at least 15 acres are covered with them.

Comment

First off what equipment do you have?

Do they just want mowing (what about edging and blowing)?

Where I live in Bellevue, WA the going rate per acre is 85$ so what is the going rate where you live?

Do they want the job completed in a certain number of hours?

Do they want haul away? How much is to dump?
          I will be doing mowing, trimming and blowing. Not positive of the going rate per acre in my area, but I've always charged about $60. They never specified how fast it needed to be done, but I'm sure it would be less then 10 hours. And there wouldn't be anything to haul away.

Comment

I think it would be a safe bet to go with $75 an acre because trimming will be a real pain in the *** and blowing. But since you dont have to haul away the lowers the cost a bit. But it also depends on where you live. If I was to bid that I would say $2,295.00 but for you I think you will be safe with $2,025.00 a cut.

Also something to think about....

What are your hourly operational costs per man per hour?

How much fuel do you think you will consume times its price per gallon?

How long does it take to get there and back?

What is the total estimated time?

Curtis Michael
            President
            The Grounds Crew
            (425) 765-2638

Comment

I would realy stop and think about this one. I would talk to as many lawn guys you can. I talked to one that said he does one once a month takes 3 men 3 days. I don't know how big the cem is but he said trimmer takes forever

Comment

You can always ask or figure out how many head stones there are and multiply it by say $3.00

So say their are 300 head stones just add another $300. But you can always change $3 to whatever you feel comfortable with.

Curtis Michael
                President
                The Grounds Crew
                (425) 765-2638

Comment

How much of it is open area? (If a large portion of it is open area you are not going to get $60 an acre for that part of it) How many stones & how are they spaced? How often do they want it mowed? Have they hired it out before or was it done in house? Not enough info given for anyone to give you a helpful answer.
                  Last edited by shadrach; 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM. Reason: ..
                  Evansville Lawn Mowing
                  Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Just came up with another thought!

Ask the owner of the cemetery for the name and numbers of the previous companies that maintained the grounds to see what the pros and cons of the job were. Also, ask them what they charged and possibly what their operating costs were. Basically weed out as much info you can from them.

I wouldn't ask the owner what he was being charged previously because their is the potential that he will lie about it and say a number that is significantly lower.

We all just need a little more information on this so we can better evaluate its costs and how much you should charge.

It will also help to know what equipment you will be using.

Curtis Michael
                    President
                    The Grounds Crew
                    (425) 765-2638

Comment

Well so far, I don't know ALL the specifics on the cemetery. I went and looked at it today briefly, but I will be meeting with the owner to discuss further details later next week, possible sooner. As for equipment... I have a 61" Great Dane Stander, 52" Great Dane Stander, 34" Lesco Stander, 36" Walk Behind, and Echo Trimmers and Blowers. Keep in mind I'm also 18 right now, will be 19 in March, so I'm not nearly as experienced as most of you, although I've been running my lawn care company ever since I was 13, but I have really grown in the last two years. All help and advice is appreciated.

Comment

I'm 18 as well and I am really excited for you. I would do anything to get a large bid like that. My advice for you though...

When you meet with the owner be sure to listen carefuly, ask many questions, and take good notes. (You might wan't to prepare some questions ahead of time)

After you have your meeting with him post what he said so we can get a better idea of what exactly needs to be done and the time frame.

Good luck! I hope everything goes as planned!

PS: Also take some pictures and then post them!

After all that hopefully we can come up with a good bid price.

Curtis Michael
                        President
                        The Grounds Crew
                        (425) 765-2638

Comment

I did a 24 acre campground for around $1400 a cut and I thought I was high when I bidded. It only took 1 cut to find out I was low, I shouldnt have done it for less then $2000. These type of sites abuse your equipment and trimming will take one guy a whole day. Expect breakdowns when your mower is running for 8 hours straight.

Cemeteries are harder. At least my site was wide open. You will never be going at full speed. I have a buddy that does a few cemeteries and believe it or not he used 38"-42" ztrs so he could get in between everything. He told me most take 3-5 guys 2 days to cut.

Comment

Just came up with another thought!

Ask the owner of the cemetery for the name and numbers of the previous companies that maintained the grounds to see what the pros and cons of the job were. Also, ask them what they charged and possibly what their operating costs were. Basically weed out as much info you can from them.

I wouldn't ask the owner what he was being charged previously because their is the potential that he will lie about it and say a number that is significantly lower.

We all just need a little more information on this so we can better evaluate its costs and how much you should charge.

It will also help to know what equipment you will be using.
                            i have a 11 acre cemetary that i maintain for my church as well as i maintain the church but they are seperate locations.

if it is a standard old style cemetary with upright head stones and not the modern type with the headstones flush with the ground your price of 1,500 is too low.
                            my little 11 acre site takes 3 guys all day just to string trim around the stones and 2 guys bobbing and weaving in and out of all the stones with the mowers all day.

also, head stones devour string on the string trimmer being granite.
                            i use three times the string in the cemetary in one day then i use in two weeks with the rest of my accounts and i use probably 5 gals of mix in the trimmers each time i cut it.
                            i would also recommend not useing the super heavy gauge string in the cemetary either because it will damage some types of stones and the person in the ground may not care but the visiting family members can get very hostile if they see that their loved one's final resting place is disrespected.

there is also the matter of family members leaving little trinkets and knick knacks around the grave over and above the flowers which can spell trouble if disturbed as well as any graves for veterans will have flags and special markers that get blown around from the wind and need to be put back in place.

i can trully say that if i was not obligated to help the church because i am a member as well as my kids go to the churches school i probably would not do it.
                            take everything about mowing a big place and quadruple it and that is what a cemetary is like cutting.
                            i can also say over and above the work it is actually pretty intresting and depressing at the same time maintaining a cemetary.
                            our cemetary goes back a long time and we actually have some graves that go back to the civil war and we also have some soldiers from the civil war burried there.
                            i also find it depressing because there are a lot of children there as well and i find that years ago we had far more infant deaths then we do today and when you get to a grave that has a picture of a 2 year old childs face on the stone it really kicks you in the gut.

what is funny and odd is that i just about remember every name in that cemetary from walking around it so much cutting the grass.

my only advice is make sure you price it right so you can go there with the proper amount of help to bang it out as quickly as possible and i also would recommend investing in some round up and spray the grass around the stones very neatly to create a 2 to 3 inch buffer around the stones to minimize string trimming.
                            it will take you some time to do it as well as use a good deal of product but it will save you hours of string trimming.
                            also make the round up extra leathal and don't do it on a windy day.

Comment

Good feedback dpld.

like dpld, I have maintained a cemetery these past 5 years (16 acres with headstones,interupted by dividing access roads)
                              It takes one guy with a 60" ztr and one guy with a 36" WB, 10 hours (one day) to mow our midwestern cool season fescue/crab/misc. grass cover.

we string trim every other mowing, three guys x one 10 hour day = 30 hours and lots of string

You must take the suggestion about round up around the stones VERY seriously, he knows what he is talking about (must do)

you must have a clear understanding about decorations. ie: what is allowed to remain around the stones, who removes them,
                              Insist on seeing the actual cemetery rules that apply to the grounds/decorations that all the families are expected to follow.
                              if you need call me for more help 573-356-5026

Comment

Working...
                              X