1.5 acre / first bid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 acre / first bid

a guy down the street has a 1.5 acre square lot next to his house. he plans on scalping it and then planting a bunch of flowers. i stopped by there to talk to him and found this out. i was hoping to get this account as a monthly contract. i see he has a few walk ways mowed in this field so i was curious why he didn't cut the whole thing.

turns out, he is retired Army Chaplin. me being ex Army myself, this was a great opportunity to gain his business. we starting speaking on this lot and i was informed of him wanting to get it scalped.

what should i charge? i could trailer up and get to his house in less than 20 seconds. so travel time isnt an issue. I could almost just drive the Dixie Chopper to his house from mine but would rather take the trailer.

what is a good price? $50? $65?

Attached Files

Being that he's a Vet and I am to as you are, I would do it as a favor @ $65.00. More business may come of it down the road and if not that's okay to.

Neighborly thing to do. I know many here will disagree but that's what I would do. If your truly going to scalp it, use the worst blades you have and toss them when your done. LoL $65.00 does sound a little cheap for where I live but I understand all locations are different.
    Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
    Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
    CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Im in Florida, too. Central (Lakeland). Also i have no blades besides the ones installed. Heck, i dont even have but 1 edger blade, no weed eater line, gas, oil.. haha... JUST got the equipment and no time to go to the store for anything. I plan on getting this during this week or weekend though for sure.

How much are blades? A friend looking at my setup said i had "High Lift" blades on there now. How much for different types of blades? High Lift, Mulch, Regular, etc etc??

As for the $65 i agree with you on the neighborly thing and would possibly get me more work down the road. If not, oh well, i get to mow and learn my equipment a little better. It would be done in the morning on a day off anyways, not like it is taking away from anything else.

2006 Dixie Chopper LT2000 44

Comment

Being neighboly is fine, but as a neighbor he should understand you are in a money making business. If he other work that you could do on a weekly basis, get him to sign a contract, part of it would be the 'scalping' the rest would be the charge for weekly service. He doesnt want to do that the give him a quote for the'scalping'. Also does he excpect you to ick up the clippings? would you have to cart them away? Do you have a place to dump them or would the have to go to the county dump? The time to mow the gras without picking up would be about 3 hours times your hourly rate. I charge 50 per hour so the bid would be 150 to scalp, pickup and haul away would be another 100 at least. PS I live and work in central florida near Lakeland, DO NOT SCREW YOURSELF even for a neighbor.

Comment

Steve, thanks for the info.

I am assuming i would just discharge everything from 1.5" cut since i do not have a bag anyways. By him using the word "scalping" i am thinking he just wants it cut as low as possible. Actually I think that's what he said. The friend who suggested 50-65 is in the lawn biz too so i take his estimate with honesty, not just someone in general saying those numbers.

Also he does his own lawn care so this would be a one time thing. I would rather do this for a little cheaper, knowing i am getting the job vs not getting it at all. I am guessing it would take just over an hour to do. By the estimate of $1 per min, i am doing pretty good I think.. .

Comment

What is the scalping going to do for him? Would he prefer having certain areas tilled where he wants to plant flowers?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

i charge 45 an acre so your right in the ball park with your pricing as far as i am concerned and 1 1/2 acres just a bit over an hour to cut
              Chris Hoeltke
              serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
              C&S Lawn Service

Comment

My price for 1.5 acres is $91.
                Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

thanks guys. i plan on stopping by his place soon and will report back.

going with 65 for a single 1.75" cut. if he wants, i will go 2.5" and then 1.25 over again for 100

Comment

What is a good pitch to have him go with the 100 vs 65 ?

i was thinking something along the lines of (because this grass is maybe 7" currently) 1st pass at 3" and 2nd at 1.75". This would take a little bit longer while making sure fewer clippings are left on top of lawn once completed.

does this make sense? problem is, i don't have a bag so i can not offer this. i am able to mulch only by closing the discharge door. i have high lift blades (which i don't even know what they do) and not mulching blades. i leave a line of grass when i close the discharge door. i think...

what do you guys suggest?

i am thinking of getting some mulching blades but do not want to ruin them on this guys acreage when trying to "scalp" it.

Comment

What width mower would you be using on the property?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

2006 LT2000 Dixie Chopper 44" cut

Comment

2006 LT2000 Dixie Chopper 44" cut
                          You do not have may options for that mower available. your best all around cut is most likely going to be a cross blade setup of these two blades.

http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/28/fl...t_details/2588

and

http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/28/fl...t_details/2706

you have the following 2 gator options as well

Standard Gator

http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/28/fl...t_details/3008

G6 Gator

http://www.alloutdoorparts.com/60/fl...t_details/2393

These are all links to my store and they give current prices and full blade size info with lift.
                          I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Working...
                          X