No announcement yet.

My First Bid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep us posted when you are done on how much total time it took. Also let us know if you would have done or bid it differently if you were to do it again.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I cleared all this brush out on Saturday. A learning experience, indeed.
      7:45-8:15am: pick up U-Haul rental truck, travel to customer site. 30 min.
      8:15-9:45: Clear up small missed weeds, load brush onto truck with pitchfork. 1.5 hours.
      9:45-10:30: Travel to dump and offload brush, sweep out truck. 45 min.
      10:30-11:00: Travel to U-Haul, fuel and return truck. 30 min.
      Total time: 3 hours, 15 min. Plus the three hours labor brush cutting: 6 hours, 15 minutes.

Costs:
      Gas estimate: $8.00 truck gas + $2.00 brush cutter gas + $6.00 U-Haul gas = $16.00
      U-Haul Rental: $71.30
      Depreciation on truck, equipment: Unknown
      Total estimate: $87.30

Customer paid: $100.00
      Net profit: $12.70
      I made about $2.00 per hour! :::facepalm:::

I'm committed, and will keep at it, charging more based upon this gained info.
      As soon as the weather clears, I'll be going door-to-door with my business cards.
      I've decided also to get a part-time job to tide me over, probably at Home Depot.
      Thanks guys, recording and reporting this stuff helps.

Comment

The real thing that ate your profit was the uhaul. Did you plan on using that in the first place?

In the future rentals need to be charged to the customer.

Well on the positive side you learned from your mistakes. Its always better to go high when in doubt. I rather not get the job because I was $100 higher then work for nothing. Now next time you wont think dumping is free.

Comment

Well at least it didnt end up costing you money.

I would try to avoid renting uhauls and get a trailer. I have a 5' x 10' utility trailer and can get a good amount of stuff in it. This picture is not all green waste but you get the idea.

It has probably paid for itself 3 x's in less than a year by allowing me to take larger jobs.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ya, I've been looking into getting a utility trailer like that. I'll have to install a trailer assembly on my truck, about $225 or so, then I've been shopping around on craigslist. Thing is, my funds are a bit low at the moment, so I'll prospect with what I got for now, and can hopefully upgrade soon!

Comment

if you have an open bed pick-up truck ,you could easily fabricate a set of tall racks that slip into the stake pockets of your bed for jobs like this .It might of taken a few trips ,but still would of been cheaper than the rental .

Comment

Customer paid: $100.00
                Net profit: $12.70
                I made about $2.00 per hour!
                This is a great learning lesson.

If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently now?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

There is so much to learn!
                  Don't give up, you will learn fast enough!

Comment

Working...
                  X