Wood Chipper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Chipper

Have any of you had to bid on a large job where you need to use a wood chipper? I will have to rent a large one and the price is $700.00 a day. The property has large piles of tree limbs and brush. The owner is okay with me mulching the stuff up and spreading it out on the lot.

Man I have no clue as to how to price this out?

Have any of you had to bid on a large job where you need to use a wood chipper? I will have to rent a large one and the price is $700.00 a day. The property has large piles of tree limbs and brush. The owner is okay with me mulching the stuff up and spreading it out on the lot.

Man I have no clue as to how to price this out?

what size machine is it for rent?

is it a chipper or a tub grinder?

are you doing all the labor or does the chipper rental include the labor?

if you are just renting a chipper and doing all the work 700.00 per day seems way too high.
    i can rent a 12" self feeding disc chipper for about 275.00 per day and 1,000.00 per week.

these types of jobs are very decieving and always end up being 3 x's harder then you initially thought regardless of how much experience you have and always take more time to do.

you also have to carefull if it is a rental to not let dirt and foreign debris to go through the machine or they will hit you up for a blade replacement fee and jobs like these usually have a good portion of the material on the bottom of the piles covered in dirt.

i obviously am only going by what you gave me but if it is a large job you also might want to go with doulble the help on the first day to give it a big hit and if and when you see that it is a nightmare you will at least have the man power to knock the snot out of it.

hope that helps, good luck.

Comment

Sounds like a weekly rate to me, here is our rates however we have 8" Bearcat Chippers

Chipper and one staff $75.00 an hour, min 2 hours + $65.00 transportation fee, one time charge

Additional staff member $35.00 hour

Staff with Chainsaw $45.00 hour

Excavator to feed chippers $75.00 hour, min 4 hours plus $65.00 transportation

Max distance from home base, 1 hour drive/ 45 miles
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

$700.00 a day rental ???
        What size is the chipper ??? and have you shopped the rental around.
        How big are the branches ???
        Home Depot has good rental rates and a verity of equipment.
        A Chipper Shredder that take branches up to 5" tow behind is $112.00 a day here.

Comment

$700.00 a day rental ???
          What size is the chipper ??? and have you shopped the rental around.
          How big are the branches ???
          Home Depot has good rental rates and a verity of equipment.
          A Chipper Shredder that take branches up to 5" tow behind is $112.00 a day here.
          You and your staff will kill your arms with this unit, you need mechanical or power feed units, gravity simply doesn't work well, the second the blades start to dull you have to start pushing the branches into the flywheel, the vibration on your hands and arms will put them to sleep in no time.

United Rentals has 6, 8 & 9" as we have had to rent when our two were going full out, only issue I found renting is the quality of the sharpness of blades.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

what size machine is it for rent?

is it a chipper or a tub grinder?

are you doing all the labor or does the chipper rental include the labor?

if you are just renting a chipper and doing all the work 700.00 per day seems way too high.
            i can rent a 12" self feeding disc chipper for about 275.00 per day and 1,000.00 per week.

these types of jobs are very decieving and always end up being 3 x's harder then you initially thought regardless of how much experience you have and always take more time to do.

you also have to carefull if it is a rental to not let dirt and foreign debris to go through the machine or they will hit you up for a blade replacement fee and jobs like these usually have a good portion of the material on the bottom of the piles covered in dirt.

i obviously am only going by what you gave me but if it is a large job you also might want to go with doulble the help on the first day to give it a big hit and if and when you see that it is a nightmare you will at least have the man power to knock the snot out of it.

hope that helps, good luck.
            it is a chipper and I got my price RGS rentals. I have never used one so I have no clue to how fast it will feed so maybe in this case i just tell the customer the rental fee plus per hour.

Comment

maybe in this case i just tell the customer the rental fee plus per hour.
              Would it be better to just give them one price per hour and not let them know the hourly rental rate for the equipment?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Would it be better to just give them one price per hour and not let them know the hourly rental rate for the equipment?
                Now that's a good idea. Would make simple.

Comment

Now that's a good idea. Would make simple.
                  When I was high school and college I would always be looking for work. Not only did I cut grass but I also worked for a tree trimmer for 2 years.(I grew up in a outdoor power equipment store those are the guys I talked to most were tree trimmers and commercial cutters) The guy I worked for had an equipment fee that he told customers was what it cost to operate the equipment while on site then an hourly fee when we could not aquatically bid a job on cleanups.
                  I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Sounds like a weekly rate to me, here is our rates however we have 8" Bearcat Chippers

Chipper and one staff $75.00 an hour, min 2 hours + $65.00 transportation fee, one time charge

Additional staff member $35.00 hour

Staff with Chainsaw $45.00 hour

Excavator to feed chippers $75.00 hour, min 4 hours plus $65.00 transportation

Max distance from home base, 1 hour drive/ 45 miles
                    Thank you this has been VERY helpful. The customer still has the large brush on his property and is ready for me to bid on it. We do a great deal of trimming during the winter and I so tired of handling all the brush to the dump site. I am looking at a 8" Bearcat CH8720. Is this the one you use and would you recommend it? The price is $14,695.00 and was going to pay cash for it. I am afraid to go buy a used one because I feel this type of equipment is abused.

Comment

Working...
                    X