Fertizing pricing question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertizing pricing question

what would you consider a good price for fertilizing lawns, I want to add this as an extra but am a little uneasy about pricing. I can get 15000 sf of fertilizer for about 34 bucks. Am looking for an idea on price per 1000 sf.

It all depends on the current market and what your competitors in the area are charging.
    It also depends on how much you want to make percentage wise.
    Remember to take in all the factors such as cost to drive down there, how long per square feet it takes you to apply the fertilizer, the location, etc.

Curtis Michael
    President
    The Grounds Crew
    (425) 765-2638
    www.thegroundscrewllc.com

Comment

what would you consider a good price for fertilizing lawns, I want to add this as an extra but am a little uneasy about pricing. I can get 15000 sf of fertilizer for about 34 bucks. Am looking for an idea on price per 1000 sf.
      $34 for 60lbs of fertilizer is really expensive on the wholesale side. You should be able to get it for around $19 in small quantities and $15 in larger quantities.

This is another one of those jobs where my formula includes a per 1000 sq ft price plus a stop charge.
      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

What type of fertilizer are you going to use?
        Twitter
        Facebook
        LinkedIn
        Website

Comment

Not sure how your market is but here is what I do.

Measure the property for accurate Sq Footage then add in any oddities or difficulties.
          I can get a 25kg bag of Fert for approx $20.00 a bag.
          A bag will do me approx 4500 to 5500 SQ Foot lawn depending on my spread rate.
          It takes me approx 2-7 min (Unload and load up spreader) to fertilize a lawn depending on Oddities and Difficulties.

So for a simple example let say a
          4500 SQ Foot lawn needing a heavy fert with no Oddities or difficulties I would charge $45.00
          $20.00 for fert $7.00 for overhead/expenses (gas,wear and tear etc.) $18.00 for 5 min of my time.

Now depending on how fast or slow you can fert you will need to adjust your rate.
          I have been Ferting for way to many years, before working for myself I worked for weed-man and that is a great training ground for speed and hopper load estimating, We worked on production so the more we did the more we made so route layout was important and you don't want to overload your spreader because it extra weight to push around and that slows you down. On off and on to the next lawn 30 to 40 lawns a day is the norm. But there is one thing that is missing in the weed-man formula Quality you need to slow down a bit to give quality so with my company I aim for 10-20 and day depending on size etc etc..

Fertilizer seems like a simple enough job but there are a few aspects to it.
          Good luck
          Graham
          AKA: Ducke

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Ducke. There really is a lot more to estimating a fertilization job.

How did you like working for weed-man?

Any other advice you can offer us?

Curtis Michael
            President
            The Grounds Crew
            (425) 765-2638
            www.thegroundscrewllc.com

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Ducke. There really is a lot more to estimating a fertilization job.

How did you like working for weed-man?

Any other advice you can offer us?
              Weed-man was alright , The company overall has got so big that it is very difficult to make fast changes to go along with the times. But it was a great place to learn and get paid good to do it.
              My big problem with the franchise I was with was the new owner. He seems more interested in $$$$$ then anything else. People are just a commodity to him, Quantity is more important then Quality and customers were just #'s.
              Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with making money, But you can make money and offer a quality product and quality service. A happy staff is a productive staff and that is how I make money.
              Weed-man , Nutri-Lawn etc. big box franchises are having a hard time adapting to the new NO PESTICIDE laws. They have depended on high Nitrogen ferts to produce a green lawn and massive amounts of pesticides to keep them bug and disease free, But now this won't work and they are scrambling to come up with a way to survive in the new world of lawn care.
              but they are so big and clumsy that they can't change like a small outfit like us can. Its kind of like trying to change a 18 wheeler into a smart car.Not so easy . Its like a David and Goliath and we all know how that turned out don't we.
              Keeping your company small and flexible and keeping on top of industry trends and not relying on one product to survive is KEY to surviving the next few years.
              I also don't think it take a brain scientist to see that organic lawn care is the future and herbicides and pesticides are going the way of the dinosaur.
              We need to think GREEN
              Green Product
              Green Grass.
              Green Money.

Graham
              aka: Ducke

Comment

agree with Ducke

I sure hope Ducke is correct about the pesticides going away! I have been trying to convince my clients to go organic for around 5 years now. To me it seems the drawback is in weed-prevention with organics, they just don't seem to work. Perhaps someone can clue me in on an organic weed preventer that works? My business is small and flexible so I'd really love to make the switch completely! Also, I can't and don't believe the claims that regular fertilizer is safe for animals after the dust settles! That's a load of crap (imo).
                cmig

Comment

... Also, I can't and don't believe the claims that regular fertilizer is safe for animals after the dust settles! That's a load of crap (imo).
                  What are you basing this on?
                  Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

Well as for the pesticide issue I can tell you this it is now totally ban on the cosmetic use of lawn pesticides in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Ontario and Quebec. Some were around 154 municipalities plus. So it is only a matter of time and the rest will follow.
                    I like that idea of Organic care and it dose work, But it is expensive and time consuming. In time as the practise becomes more wide spread the cost will come down but that will take a few years so in the mean time we need to adapt and experiment with new products and hope for the best. Sarritor, Beat Juice, Fiesta and Corn Gluten are just a few of the product that have been used all with less then desired results.

Comment

Working...
                    X