What a mess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a mess

Had a phone call yesterday from a lady that wished to meet Saturday to look at her property.
    She stated the rear yard had not been taken care of and needed some work ,I swung by this morning to take a peek before meeting with her and here is what I found.

No idea on even how to start to price this any thoughts or idea's

Can not get any equipment into it as its basically all 3 feet below ground level with steps going down to it surrounded by a retaining wall ,no place to park a truck and trailer 4 house down the alley is the closest place with out blocking the alley way .

so glad I went by to peek first so I do not spit out "WTH" when I see it with the customer.
    Attached Files
    C&S Lawn Service

Okay, now it's kinda hard for sure what is going on there. I am seeing some brick on the ground in certain spots. Is that all a brick patio or is there grass in there too?

What does she want done ultimately? Does she want it all cut down and hauled out?

These are great pictures and I think they point out the importance of going to a site first to review it and not just give a bid over the phone because you never know what you are going to be dealing with.

Can you show us an overhead view of the property from like google maps or something to compare what you would see if you looked at it only online and didn't visit it first?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp ;q=Winchester,+219+South+Loudoun+Street,+VA&amp;aq =1&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=32.527387,56.513672&amp;vpsrc=6 &amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=219+S+Loudoun+St,+W inchester,+Virginia+22601&amp;t=h&amp;ll=39.18166,-78.167014&amp;spn=0.000998,0.001717&amp;z=19&amp;o utput=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&a mp;q=Winchester,+219+South+Loudoun+Street,+VA&amp; aq=1&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=32.527387,56.513672&amp;vpsrc=6 &amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=219+S+Loudoun+St,+W inchester,+Virginia+22601&amp;t=h&amp;ll=39.18166,-78.167014&amp;spn=0.000998,0.001717&amp;z=19" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Here is the over head Steve

And yes that is an all brick yard some where under all the over growth.at this time I am not 100 percent sure what she wants done with it as I have not met with her yet that will come on Saturday but I am thinking she is wishing to sell the place as it is empty.
      C&S Lawn Service

Comment

Yea that is a great overhead.

Keep us posted on what she needs done.

Do to the way the property is set up, have you thought about how you would perform the cleanup?

Could you get a brush cutting blade on a line trimmer and just hack everything down?

I also see what might be piles of sand and gravel. Or what ever else is in there. Is that gonna need to be removed or leveled? Who knows what else is in there. You may be surprised as you walk through it.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

It's not too bad, personally I would state to the client, I charge $xx.xx per hour, I will come in with (suggest 3) staff, one will use a brush cutter and a trimmer to cut the dead growth and grass, two will clean up what is being cut load it into wheel barrows and cart it to a garbage bin. We suggest customers in a case like yours rent a bin, you can contact xxxx waste removal, inform them you will need a 16 cubic foot rubbish removal bin, if you hire us I will give you a date for them to drop the bin.

In a case like this we can not provide an exact quote as there can be many unseen items to cart away, accordingly if at any time you do not like our progress we can stop. Payment is due upon completion of the job.

I am guessing 3 staff, one day, probably $500 to $750, it's really hard to tell not being there. Where I live I can rent 8, 10, 12, 16 and 20 cubic foot containers, they drop and pick them up, I believe a 16 cu/ft is around $250.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

If you get the job, get a 2 X 12 plank for the steps and build a walking ramp

http://www.yellowpages.com/wincheste...val-containers
            Last edited by picframer; 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I would definitely find out exactly what she wants. There is a brick patio there so maybe clean of the heavy stuff and string trim the weeds off of the bricks. All of the other thicket and pruning can be cut out and removed. You should plan for 1 day with 3 guys. I remove debris with my 1 ton dump so a dumpster isn't necessary. I would charge somewhere around $1K for the job as I see it.

Make sure you double check about the scope of the job just to make sure you are on the same page.

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys and i was thinking the 1k range also and no room for a roll off dumpster really its a very narrow alley barley get my pick up in so will use 1 ton dump truck ,

will let you all know more on saturday as to what all she is wishing done to the property

thanks
                C&S Lawn Service

Comment

I will be looking forwards to your updates.

Comment

Well I did not get the job but I am sure she will not be happy with the service she gets .
                    She wanted it all cleared out down to the brick pavers 2 trees trimmed and all the brush cleared out and trash cleared up.

Estimated 4 dump truck loads have a 1 ton dump and averages about 50 usd to dump a load in local landfill,36 man hours ,I bit it at 1,000 and she said the other guy bid it at $400.
                    I kindly gave her a business card and told her to call if the other bid fell through that I could not touch it for that price
                    C&S Lawn Service

Comment

Holy crap! Who ever bid it at $400 is going to be in for a rude awakening!

It would be interesting if you drove by sometime in the near future to see what they were doing to haul it away and how the job ended up looking!

I bet they give up pretty quickly into the job because they had no idea how involved it would be.

Comment

Well I did not get the job but I am sure she will not be happy with the service she gets .
                        She wanted it all cleared out down to the brick pavers 2 trees trimmed and all the brush cleared out and trash cleared up.

Estimated 4 dump truck loads have a 1 ton dump and averages about 50 usd to dump a load in local landfill,36 man hours ,I bit it at 1,000 and she said the other guy bid it at $400.
                        I kindly gave her a business card and told her to call if the other bid fell through that I could not touch it for that price
                        You will find that people will tell you the other guy said this cause that is what they want to pay. I think she was just shooting out that price hoping you would take it.
                        http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Since this bumped back up, I'll ask...

Have you been by the property at all to see what it looks like?

Comment

Since this bumped back up, I'll ask...

Have you been by the property at all to see what it looks like?
                            no have not been back by I honestly had forgotten about it with all the leaf clean ups i have been doing,will pass by beginning of the week and see what it looks like now
                            C&S Lawn Service

Comment

What I personall like is the "Last year the guy did it for...". I two of those this year and told him 'go find that guy then.' I will not lower a price I give, and if you dont like it then you are free to hire someone else. However when yu call me back to finish or fix the job, my price is still the same-you didnt save a dime, as a matter if fact you wasted your money on the Cheap guy. I never complain about my compititions price-they know what they are worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X