Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with snow removal rates.

Hello,

I'm a 27 yr student who is looking to make some extra cash during the winter and though I would start with residential snow removal. Would should i charge for my self plow a residential sidewalk and drive way?

My tools are

Snow plow 24'
    Shovels
    And the widow makers

hr rate?
    piece work?

Thanks ahead of time

Just to clarify you have a 24 foot snow plow or is it a 24 inch snow blower? If its a snow blower is it a single or dual stage? What state are you in? I would go with an hourly rate. You say 40 an hour you estimate it's a half hour job so you charge a lil more planning for an oops $25. That's my theory.
    Liberty Landscaping LLC
    www.libertylndscpng.com
    Woodbridge, NJ

Comment

That gang of ten kids with shovels on a winter school cancelled day will crush you. Their sweet faces and ten bucks an hour will land them the work. You must make plans with the homeowner before the snow flies. Look for potential threats that could damage your equipment or their personal property. Figure out berforehand where to toss the snow and what it maybe like 15 storms from now. These are the things you have to go about before you enter the realm of snow removal.
      But you can make some money...Get yourself a roof rake, a push behind salt spreader and ice melt. Most important, do a good job. Neighbors get envy and will approach you. Now you are pro and will command $40. per driveway/household. Good Luck!!

Comment

That gang of ten kids with shovels on a winter school cancelled day will crush you. Their sweet faces and ten bucks an hour will land them the work. You must make plans with the homeowner before the snow flies.
        Do you suggest trying to get the homeowners locked into a snow removal contract? Or what do you feel is the best way to combat a situation like you explained with the local kids going around offering to remove snow?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I don't know where you find kids willing to get off their a$$es these days.

When I went door to door last winter handing out my business info, you wouldn't believe how many people said "Great! It used to be that kids came around when it snowed, but that doesn't happen any more!"

Comment

My customers wouldn't hire "That gang of ten kids with shovels". My clients want reliably. The gang of ten wouldn't be there with a 1 2 or 3 inch plus snow fall if school isn't cancelled. My clients are older or "snow birds" and want the assurance that their walks are cleared per city law, and that they can easily get out of their garage for the weekly bridge game or daily errors. I get 15 -20 per snow event, more if its a monster storm.

Bottom line be there when it snows or don't do it...
            Last edited by Martywdx; 11-03-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

When I went door to door last winter handing out my business info, you wouldn't believe how many people said "Great! It used to be that kids came around when it snowed, but that doesn't happen any more!"
              Try Eastern Pa, Me and 2 friends have been out every winter. Equipped with 2 snow blowers and shovels. Worked out pretty good, going to be handing out business cards this winter. I hear you though, I'm only 16 and I know so many people that play video games and are to lazy to work.

Comment

Just to clarify you have a 24 foot snow plow or is it a 24 inch snow blower? If its a snow blower is it a single or dual stage? What state are you in? I would go with an hourly rate. You say 40 an hour you estimate it's a half hour job so you charge a lil more planning for an oops $25. That's my theory.
                Thanks fro the replys everyone...

I have though about the debate when comepting with the kids.. how ever they cant be out every day and I can... But your are right, I was one of those kids before ... and man did i make a killing using just y shovel..

Steve..

I would be a 24 inch wide... snow blower... 2 stage...

How long does it take to kill a drive way plus walk way? about and hour Is my guess. if so $ 40 hr seems resonable...

I'm just starting out so I'm going to post adds, and start flyering soon. As soon as the first fall hits I will start door to door... but I would like to have a package together ahead of time. This way, if some one is on the fence about it, they can take my rates and number then call me, should they change there mind...

My citys get hammered with snow every year, so I can't see a problem finding the work... I just need to figure out a flate rate to charge people, one that is low enough to stay competative, but high enough to generate profit...

I was thinking somthing like $15 for walk way and $30 for drive way... Note we get way more then 6 inches of snow here...

Thanks gain..

Comment

IM with you HM, They are mostly lazy. THe smart ones have sowblowers and charge $40 plus a DRIVEWAY....LOL

Comment

You have to know your overhead costs, it is differnt for every company. Once you know your costs then you can figure out the time it takes to one driveway and then how many in an hour, per storm, for the year. Compile all of this and you get your hour cost to run a plow and how many properties you need to turn profit. Buss 101!

Comment

For those of you who clear an average sized driveway of snow, either manually or with a snow blower, can you throw out some of your average pricing range to help this original poster get a range of what is going on out there?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Hello,

I'm a 27 yr student who is looking to make some extra cash during the winter and though I would start with residential snow removal. Would should i charge for my self plow a residential sidewalk and drive way?

My tools are

Snow plow 24'
                        Shovels
                        And the widow makers

hr rate?
                        piece work?

Thanks ahead of time
                        What part of the country are you from? Every area whether it be NE or Southeast is going be a different price structure. Think about the a typical house that cost you say $200,000 in Florida is going to cost you $500,000 here in Rhode Island. What does your typical drive length? Here our average length is 100' or longer, some we do are at least an 1/8th on mile. Just becareful when you are asking questions that you going to base an income on, thats all I am saying. For us we try to get $100 hour and at least $120 for sand salt, we also do more commercial than residential.

Comment

For us we try to get $100 hour and at least $120 for sand salt, we also do more commercial than residential.
                          Do you have a minimum fee you charge for smaller residential accounts?

Comment

Do you have a minimum fee you charge for smaller residential accounts?
                            That part of the bidding process comes down to literally eyeballing the small properties and knowing that it will take "X" amount of time in a 12" storm and then converting that an hourly cost. for a 50' driveway in a 12" storm you are looking at 10-15 min and if you get 100/hr thats $25, as an example. The big properties are the ones that will break you if you bid wrong, that's for sure!

Comment

How important do you feel is taking into consideration travel time to the different accounts when coming up with a bid? Especially when they are smaller accounts and you might spend as much time getting to them as you spend actually working on site?

Comment

Working...
                              X