Commercial Plowing, Few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Plowing, Few questions

I was asked to bid on snow removal at two commercial properties I already service. They want a time and materials bid which I never did. So I just give them a per hour figure for Truck Plowing, Lot Salting, Shovel Labor, Walk De-icer? Anything I'm missing? I should charge for every hundred pounds of salt/sand? And again for the time it takes to apply, right?

They do not want it removed off site. Any one want to chime in with some rates and bid tips. I included a picture of one of the complexes. Also should I have second rate for more then one truck or double the rate?
    Attached Files

Are they looking for you to perform this work on a single bid price for the season or are they going to pay you per storm?

Also, do you perform snow removal services for any other commercial property?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Are they looking for you to perform this work on a single bid price for the season or are they going to pay you per storm?

Also, do you perform snow removal services for any other commercial property?
      They want time and materials per hour for the season. So I will bill them at set prices depending on what I use and how long I'm on the site. Per storm would be easy I would just figure out how long it would take and bill for deeper increments.

I did some small parking lots and gas stations last season. I gave them a per push price depending on depth. One would even tell me when to use salt. They wouldn't pay based on my discretion. Now that could be a problem with this type of bid. Why did you take 6 hours or use a yard of salt?

The area behind the office is a challenge since it all has to be pushed 150' then go around the corner. The storage area is also lined with a fence.

This one has me stumped because I have to figure out how many hours I'm going to work this winter. Then figure my insurance and overhead. Example if I work 20 hours this winter I would need around $150 a hr to cover expenses with no profit. Last winter was worst the usual but I doubt well have a repeat of that. So I cant base anything off that. The year before that I only did driveways. I kinda need a v plow too.

Ohh by the way the snow calculator isnt working. It doesnt scroll to the bottom.

Comment

It all depends on you.
        I have seen people looking for subs at 75-90 an hour.
        I subbed for someone last year as follows Plow truck was 115.
        Salt truck with plow was 125 but they mostly salted.
        I paid my guys 25 an hour btw we used his salt.
        One salt truck was a hydro bulk spreader attached to a dump body the other was a hitch mount spreader and I had two in that truck one drove the other loaded salt from the pick up bed into the spreader.
        I had three trucks dedicated to him and a spare driver so people could nap. Didn't want accidents due to being tired mistakes...

My accounts I charge them 165 an hour for plow/salter. They don't use much salt and I buy it in bulk.

My Snow Blower/shovels are 50 an hour and I pay them 10-13 an hour.

Salt is the key because without it Law Suits arrive quickly find out who determines when it is spread. I always spread it after plowing built it into the cost and then there was a seperate charge to come out just to salt varied by the location because of sizes.
        Hope this helps.
        Liberty Landscaping LLC
        www.libertylndscpng.com
        Woodbridge, NJ

Comment

This one has me stumped because I have to figure out how many hours I'm going to work this winter. Then figure my insurance and overhead.
          How would your costs change, besides material usage, from providing lawn care to providing snow plowing? If they don't change much, could you use a similar hourly rate that you charge for lawn care?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How would your costs change, besides material usage, from providing lawn care to providing snow plowing? If they don't change much, could you use a similar hourly rate that you charge for lawn care?
            Plow insurance is higher then general liability. Labor is higher. Wear and tear on equipment. The cost are yearly but the income is over a 4 month period. I would have to purchase another sander and plow.

Its more risky due to weather and climate.

Comment

Working...
            X