Shrub Mess Reclaimed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
    The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
    Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
    LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!

Comment

Could you show us a picture of this? This sounds interesting.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
        The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
        Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
        LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!
        haha a man has to do what a man has to do! haha sounds like fun :P

Comment

Working...
        X