Help with fill dirt quote, please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with fill dirt quote, please.

I need to fill a hole in the ground. It measures 14 feet across and 3 feet deep. I came up with 17 yards to fill it. Does that sound right? The dirt will be around $200 delivered. It will be dropped in the driveway and we have to haul it about 100 feet by wheelbarrow. I don't know how much to quote this job at. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Im getting roughly 13 14 yards. I cheat and use online calculators. Here is the one I use. http://www.gopherforum.com/showthrea...3299#post43299 12.56 cubic yards to be exact. Rounding up a bit. And average price around here is $22 a yard but could be more depending on distance(100 ft isn't far), $308 + cost of material is what I would charge.
    Colton
    Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

Thanks MVG. That calculator is cool, I book marked it. It gave me 17 yards (diameter of 14 feet depth of 3 feet). The $308 plus material is right around what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I appreciate the help.
      Last edited by SpokaneSRC; 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Have a geiger counter handy?

That looks like a nuclear missile silo!

Comment

LOL! Actually, it was a trampoline that was flush with the ground, but someone stole the trampoline top and left the buried frame. The house sold and the Real Estate agent contacted me to fill up the hole.

Comment

There are other useful calculators here as well. Top soil and mulch calculator
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I ran a search on here for it before I posted my question but I didn't see the circle part until now.

Comment

I'm getting just a hair over 17 yards myself. Would anyone agree that whatever is put in will settle and that you may want to raise it 4"'s or so to allow for that?

If so, then you can figure that 4"'s would be 11% more and maybe go ahead with 18.5-19yards.

Comment

Looks to me like that is a great start to a coy pond. That's what I would convert it to if I was buying the place

Comment

how much it settles will depend on the material he uses .I would try to use a quad and trailer ,or my old gator to move the stuff if possible .

Comment

how much it settles will depend on the material he uses .I would try to use a quad and trailer ,or my old gator to move the stuff if possible .

I know there will be variances for settlement depending on what is used for fill. Regardless of what he uses though there will be settlement.

Comment

Thanks MVG. That calculator is cool, I book marked it. It gave me 17 yards (diameter of 14 feet depth of 3 feet). The $308 plus material is right around what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I appreciate the help.
                        Using wheelbarrows? 65+ trips with wheelbarrows (not accounting for time to pack or shovel and spread the fill) I suppose at most you will get about $4.75 per wheelbarrow loaded and rolled 100'. How long do you anticipate to fill and move each wheelbarrow? Then time to clean up and flatten out the hole.

we could have this hole filled in, packed and leveled in a half hour for you and only charge you $150. Would you consider subbing that out where you or your crew never touched it and you still make $150.

Of course we would use something larger and more efficient than wheelbarrows. So I would like to point out that something with tracks on it would have a much smaller compaction rate that the wheelbarrow at about 75-100 psi would have.

Comment

we could have this hole filled in, packed and leveled in a half hour for you and only charge you $150
                          What's your view on the best way to go about doing this?

How long do you think it would take moving by wheelbarrow?
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Fisher. Sure I'll sub it out to you. Only problem is there's no way into the backyard where the hole is, except through a standard chain link fence gate, hence the use of the wheelbarrows.

Comment

Is the gate at least 3' wide, then a smaller machine would do, it would take longer but it beats the shoveling. However, It wouldn't take 10 minutes to carefully and neatly pull the fence back 6-8' starting at the end where it secures by the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X