May - Dimension no fertilizer
    May - Crosscheck w/fertilizer
    June - Momentum
    July - Allectus w/fertilizer
    August - Momentum Q
    September - Fertilizer
    November - Winter Fertilizer

Comment

I'm am having to look up all those chemicals as I don't know what they are.

For anyone else who doesn't know:

Dimension: Crabgrass Herbicide
      Cross-Check: Insecticide
      Momentum: Herbicide
      Allectus: Insecticide
      Momentum Q: Herbicide

All I am doing now for my customers is just spot treating the weeds. I was using "Weed Whacker" from Monterey. I recently bought Weedar 64. I do do a grub control treatment in the winter to treat for European Cranfly, but that's all.

Should I be doing more? The chemicals I have been using have been working just fine in keeping the weeds dead. And I can only assume that the grub control has been working as well, since this is my first year after applying it last winter.

Comment

I wanted to bring this discussion back up as I know at least one member is finding himself in the same boat of having a big potential apartment complex to bid on.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I read through this and I found it entertaining .
          A 1 man show , laughed so hard I will be ugly.
          Get real I one man band trying to pull magic on a big dollar account
          Sorry Steve I am stepping out of line saying this
          New guys have no damn business looking at this kind of account at all
          Go mow 25.00 yards until you figure out your cost then apply them

19 dollars a door????? When the hell did grass start growing on doors,

I would not had wanted the client for 33'000 a year mowing 46'000 a year full service let along the cheap azz prices they want to be trying for.

I will ask you guys a common sense thing,
          How many doors?? That's times $ 500-750 a month
          How much are they making on rent ??

Make money , the apartments dang sure are.

For new guys consider this
          Look at a yard and then take a pen and paper
          And write the first number that pops in your head down
          Now triple it ...... That's what real companies make and they don't push mow it.

If you are small you have to price it likes your big or you never will be!!!

My guys have never priced this type of commercial less then 40'000
          Hell a gas station will pay 3000.00 + a year with 2 2500 square foot islands

Try this as well for thought
          I wouldn't bill less then $85.00 a hour for push mowings this type job and it will take 3 hours a acre and I don't see you
          Leaving for another 3 if you do decent work and that work is not free bill it or get a factory job
          Sorry Steve.
          Last edited by ExtremeLawncareServices; 10-12-2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I read through this and I found it entertaining .
            A 1 man show , laughed so hard I will be ugly.
            Get real I one man band trying to pull magic on a big dollar account
            Sorry Steve I am stepping out of line saying this
            New guys have no damn business looking at this kind of account at all
            Go mow 25.00 yards until you figure out your cost then apply them

19 dollars a door????? When the hell did grass start growing on doors,

I would not had wanted the client for 33'000 a year mowing 46'000 a year full service let along the cheap azz prices they want to be trying for.

I will ask you guys a common sense thing,
            How many doors?? That's times $ 500-750 a month
            How much are they making on rent ??

Make money , the apartments dang sure are.

For new guys consider this
            Look at a yard and then take a pen and paper
            And write the first number that pops in your head down
            Now triple it ...... That's what real companies make and they don't push mow it.

If you are small you have to price it likes your big or you never will be!!!

My guys have never priced this type of commercial less then 40'000
            Hell a gas station will pay 3000.00 + a year with 2 2500 square foot islands

Try this as well for thought
            I wouldn't bill less then $85.00 a hour for push mowings this type job and it will take 3 hours a acre and I don't see you
            Leaving for another 3 if you do decent work and that work is not free bill it or get a factory job
            Sorry Steve.
            Some serious words of encouragement here.

lol at 40k to maintain 3.5 acres

I think you'd be lucky to hit 22k all inclusive

Comment

JRs your likely right let's talk facts of that account, just the obvious

It's an apartment who's manager goes to the cheap guys.the not a company, not paying taxes, comp, he'll don't even pay employees type of low count apartments.

Fact is across the nation managers want the cheapest cut man out and new guys are so eager to be big a lot fall in line and go 50 to 500 bucks less every year " just to get the account"

It has nothing to do with their cost to do the job it's just
              A " I want it at any cost"

The original company lost their job over bushes being removed ...... Yet the new cheap guy will just trim them twice a year????
              Wrong more like monthly... Again if the apartments were not fishing for joe cheap.
              In the OP post he said they got bids that was
              3x the guy that was doing it..... Yet jr says
              22'000 max so they paid him $7500.00 bucks....
              If they were not fishing for cheap joes they would have called their regular guy ad said
              f the bushes come back here is 50 more a month for your inconvenience .
              But the fact is the Op was out of his game like most guys with
              less then 5 years at this and they had a sucker.
              When the joes do yards for free I might consider having them do mine........
              No never mind, they wouldn't be able to fix my windows etc.

The guy said it took forever to measure it, then said its 45 minutes to fertilize
              And I won't even get into his 15 minutes a month mess

So he will fertile 3.5 acres in 45 minutes nope more like 2 hours depending on if he is able to get the bags close to the spreader or if he will jace to walk them.

Guys it is not about doing
              This work cheaper , it's about doing it smarter, it's not about doing crapuer work to meet the price, it is about setting a bar and adding the value back to a clients
              Property so it's worth the big money they will pay .

Comment

Ok, jr I mean no harm just using your numbers of $22'000 and the op saying
                3x which means it's a
                $7500.00 job which is not realistic
                Or by your numbers could be as high as $ 66'000.
                Which now tells me you are possibly a solo guy who at $ 22'000 has a better grip on your number then some but may be cheaper then need be
                And it tells me I could as well at $ 48'000 end up hating the account because I just make it out ok.

Granted its a game of flinch factor and tail kissing but i will say it about the Op

He was a small guy playing high stakes
                He had no equipment, help etc but had a inside
                and he folded.
                If he was wanting to become a big guy, not just mow lawns
                He should have asked this inside to see the contract with the agreement of less then the new bids, but more then the guys they fires as it comes with a price.
                He had a chance at pulling it off with 1 helper and he couldn't handle the pressure and folded. With not having the confidence for the job, he did the right thing.

Is the Op around anymore? I would like to hear his price if he was asked. To do it now.

And to the OP and new members

The withdrawal letter is so unprofessional
                Just decline" do not explain it to them, most managers don't have time as it is and don't care if your small,broke, going to jail... What ever

I laughed so hard at "one man show"
                And that he "asked his friend for advice when starting out and still do so to this day"
                And then goes to say he is just to small, as if the "one man show" did not address this earlier in the letter? I mean is he even smaller some days?

A good basic letter.

Hello, Management Company/Mr. Smith.
                This is Joe Somebody with XYZ Company. This is to inform you that at this time we feel we cannot provide the quality of services your property and tenants deserve.
                We would like to take this time to thank you for the opportunity to serve you. In the future we hope to have the chance again.
                Thank you,
                Joe Somebody
                Management, XYZ Company.

Now consider this as well, I,we,my company have never sent a letter. On a professional level I feel this is a matter to handle with a handshake and smile.
                It leaves a lasting impression,and makes them think of you in the future, which I know for fact has lost me that job to get 3 others because they remembered me.

Letters are impersonal and cold snubs, no matter how well written.
                They likely won't recall your business name simply because it's not a face, voice.

Comment

Mowing 250 per visit x 28 visits 7k
                  shrubs @ 3k per season
                  Chem program including 4 apps, pre em and non selective 3k
                  trash @ 50 per visit 1400
                  Mulch wasn't mentioned but I figured 4k for it
                  Spring/Fall cleanup 3500

I agree on the letter, they don't need to know your life story.

Also agree that if a potential customer tells you other received bids are 2-3 times what they were paying that is a major red flag.

Comment

I see your math and understand now why you actually looked so cheap earlier

I was pushing 36-38 mowings inthe season as a minimum
                    And average 40 usually how we do it

I also see that we would be doing a lot of additional work on this type of property again making out with more cash in the end.

As I said earlier its not about the price but what you do for their money. Most
                    commercial client want cheap because they are used to getting Mowed and then
                    Nothing else.

Comment

Most RFP's are bid for maintenance, to add potential add on work wouldn't allow an apples to apple's bid. It's also variable depending on duration of season. If my price seems cheap what is your breakdown as well as price for whatever additional services you feel would be included in the RFP?

Comment

We personally don't do buddy wars at all and we don't truely have a written break down. It is simply bid high and work is included in the price.
                        Things that you don't have included I would say at a minimum
                        Is a 12 month plan where we get 40 mows 12 leaf clean ups

Seeding, aerating verti slicing, hole filling, what I would guess at weekly limb pick up.
                        Parking lot blowing
                        Even parking lot pressure washing and striping
                        From the photos I seen I would say each of the trees need reshaped ( holes are of centered).
                        A inch of soil to cover the feeder roots and keep them from damage from exposure .

He did say full service ??? Or am I
                        Crazy
                        I would be glad to see if I can find a old contract
                        As we broke it down as so much per division and
                        then said here you go.

Comment

So basically what you're hinting is that you can't formulate a rough figure to service this property using the scope of services I provided.

"Full service" is a rather loose term, but as I mentioned it usually refers to maintenance, not full turf programs and asphalt repair.......

Comment

This is a residential client since signed 23'000 sqft lot with 3# maple trees
                            This is their contract from then.

I covered the signatures and the specific details of our wordings
                            But it basicly says if we want to bill more we will and if extra work is needed , we do it and then they pay it, no up front estimate.

Comment

I'm not an invalid, I know what a proposal looks like. I am asking about the hypothetical bid from the OP. You stated my company was cheap, so what's your price based on the scope provided

Comment

Well JRs sin e your hinting at me talking to you that you have taken it personal and see to think that is a proposal I will step up and say your wrong that is a old contract that is very specific. It give dates and all for the year.

As for your prices you can do your own math I would have thogh considering you knew what a proposal, as you called it was.
                                I mean 3.5 acres is say in the 153k range and I said this was a 23000 and a $60 fee that in simple math would be 397.00 a mow.
                                As for the rest it's on you to do math.

I said my basic fee would be closer to 40k then 23k as you said
                                That's not calling you cheap just closer to the OP then me is all.
                                Stop taking it personal as your coming off.
                                I posted the contract so you can see its all outlined just as you had done .

And it is like 6 times smaller and only had items like you had listed.

I just include everything that a client needs if it's a full service account.

And I don't even give away the money it cost to pick up limbs on a property if it has trees.
                                As for a price break down of the OP job based on his photos I would say hell no on a set in stone break down of a price .
                                Here is why

If I , or you think we can bid a job on
                                7 photos down to the penney we would be so wrong.
                                Hell they may smoke and litter the parkinglot daily.

For $23,000 you can leave them , for my quality of work it's picked up.
                                Simply the client will pay more for my service then
                                Yours, you have made that known and obvious, I just don't work that way, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X