Price? How much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price? How much?

Ok so I got a possible customer who wants thier lawn cut. So I got their address and of course looked it up on Google Maps. OMG! The lot is HUGE, its about 3 lots in one. It would look amazing in my portfolio, but what would be an ideal rate? They want a seasonal rate till October 2011. And I'm using a Gas powered push mower.. Ya I know a ride mower would be ideal.. but this is the 1st BIG lot I have seen yet. Any input or ideas on how to handle this. My typical rate is anywhere from $25 to $50 depending on lot and required detailed trimming.

how about the calculators the one too estimate the lawn care bid came pretty close for me try it....
    http://villalandscapes.beep.com/

Comment

I use the calculator and just adjust the profit for the company and owner and it does a pretty good job. What is the size of the lot? Are you now concidering a rider mower or at least a bigger walk behind with a Velky?
      Let us know what happens. Good luck!
      Liberty Landscaping LLC
      www.libertylndscpng.com
      Woodbridge, NJ

Comment

Push mower

The lot is about 1/2 an acre. All I have is a gas push mower and just me. I am the company & the owner.. I looked at it and guessed it would take about 3 hours to cut.

Comment

it should only take you about 45 mins to cut that lot i have a push mower to ...i charge about 60 bucks for that size lot
          http://villalandscapes.beep.com/

Comment

I will look at the property in person tomorrow. I will see how large it is - It will be better than looking on a map.

Comment

I'm learning that without the equipment to do the job efficiently (read, quickly), sometimes it's best to pass on jobs that take too long to make a profit on.

Starting out, it's tough to determine what size lawn you can work efficiently using a push mower.

I have one job that takes me 45 mins to mow/trim/blow and I get $40, then I have one that takes a solid hour if not 75 minutes (hillside and many beds/obstacles), and I'm only getting $30. If I can pick up a few others in the area that are easier and pay about the same, I'll drop the $30 job unless I talk it over with them and they are willing to pay a bit more to keep me on.

Comment

I'm learning that without the equipment to do the job efficiently (read, quickly), sometimes it's best to pass on jobs that take too long to make a profit on.

Starting out, it's tough to determine what size lawn you can work efficiently using a push mower.
                I think you really hit on something important here. From your experience now, what is your take on the size property you feel you can efficiently mow with a push mower vs what size property do you feel you should pass on?

I have one job that takes me 45 mins to mow/trim/blow and I get $40, then I have one that takes a solid hour if not 75 minutes (hillside and many beds/obstacles), and I'm only getting $30.
                What is your view on why there is such a difference?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Good Question Steve!

Well in all with my 1 week of existence of wanting to cut others grass... I have come to a decision I need a ride mower & trailer. So with that said, I have spotted a new ride mower that is afford-ably priced and trailer I will get my hands on this week-end. The property is slightly under an acre and agreed price was 100$ per cut & trim weekly and agreed till September or when the 1st snow falls. The homes in that area are like mansions. I will take photo's and share (I will get their permission 1st of course) the area. Now... the kicker to my day!! Was.. I got another call from a person and wants me to cut from now till the end of August. Then he say's I have another client for you... Very interesting day!! I have some ideas on marketing that I will experiment with next week. I did very minimal marketing this week... I mean 2 posts online in 5 days.. simple ad and got 5 calls in all. 1 has bailed - now worries.. I will keep the faith of the other 2 that I know I will close this Friday or Saturday. Then I will take the area by storm!!

To better answer your question Steve - I will not turn anyone away.. If I don't have the proper equipment, I will go out and get it. If I need extra people, I will call upon my family.
                  Last edited by seanbsean; 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

1 more to go.. 4 outta 5 ain't bad!

Just closed another one... 1 more left.. keeping all fingers crossed.. yahooo

Comment

I think you really hit on something important here. From your experience now, what is your take on the size property you feel you can efficiently mow with a push mower vs what size property do you feel you should pass on?

What is your view on why there is such a difference?

Cripes. I dunno... I still have no idea what a 1/4 acre lot is vs a 1/2 acre.
                      I just look at it and compare it to what I know already. It seems like when you get past $35 people start to hesitate - at least in some of the neighborhoods.
                      Doesn't matter how long it takes ME to do the job, they want it done CHEAP.

I'll mow 3 $20 lawns that take 20 minutes, before I'll take another $45 lawn that takes an hour and a half.

As for teh "difference". Some of it is my inexperience, and some is the fact that one person is willing to pay, while the other one (the "long, $30 one) is CHEAP. I quoted them $35-$45 initially and the reply was "We were paying $25 last year."
                      She said she'd go $30, and like a dumbass, I accepted because it was early in the season and "I needed the clients". The lawn is a pain in the a$$. I realize now that I don't need jobs like this one - there are plenty of others around that are less work, that pay the same, or more.

Comment

I accepted because it was early in the season and "I needed the clients". The lawn is a pain in the a$$.
                        I know what you mean! I mow a yard for a family member where it takes me 3 to 4 hours to mow (with a ZTR), trim, and blow. It only pays $75. I need to raise the price, but I'm to much of chicken to I ask them. I know they can afford to pay more.

Comment

She said she'd go $30, and like a dumbass, I accepted because it was early in the season and "I needed the clients". The lawn is a pain in the a$$. I realize now that I don't need jobs like this one - there are plenty of others around that are less work, that pay the same, or more.
                          I can totally understand. There is nothing wrong with taking work early on like that because all of these jobs are stepping stones where something is learned from each.

I think this points out the importance of not taking on big jobs early on or locking yourself into contracts early on because a job that may seem like a good paying job when you first get started can soon turn into your worst profitable job as you learn more and add more customers.

This is a very important point for everyone to keep in mind.
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                          X