how to bid properly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to bid properly

I am wondering how to approach the idea of a complete job. Such as, if i will mow a place for lets say $35 (witch is my target price for one hour labor) but the bed edges are in bad shape, or the bushes are overgrown. If i put out a price to completley edge the property of say $130(three hours labor plus $25 dump fee)and the coustmer dosen't take it, I would not feel comfortable putting my name on the job with the property in disarray. I am just unsure of how to approach the topic of getting the complete property up to the level of quality i am striving for.

I feel the same way about only doing quality work. Is it a one time mow or a monthly contract? If it's a one time thing, do what they want or politely pass, telling them your not comftorable putting your name on a half-a*s job. If that price is overwelming, can you break it into sections and say charge an extra $15-18 for the first 6-8 times you mow to get the yard back under control. You can do all the work at once even, just spread it out when billing. Even do a section during the first mow and show them how much better it will look. have no idea if this help with your situation but that's how I would approach it.

It's never a bad idea to have a competitors card in the truck and tell them they may be more what your looking for if you want it done by a jack-wagon that's really doesnt care. But say it in a profesional manor. I also have cards of people I recommend for jobs I don't want to branch out into. Ie, tree work and stump grinding.

Comment

ultimatly every account would be a weekly acoount in a perfect world. My area is very saturated so even a small dollar amount increse could make the differance. But I do like the your ideas how to handle it, like doing a small portion so they can see. I guess if i took my total and spread it out over the season it wouldn't be that dramastic. thanks for the imput

Comment

How much are you worth? Gas prices an issue? Insurance? Equipment, wear and tear? Commute? $50/hr...may go up along with the new per gallon this year...when gas go up, so does hourly rate
        08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
        05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
        4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
        3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
        1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
        20' Enclosed trailer
        18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
        2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

am I lowballing? It is not my intention at all to do so. I am just gettin going and just trying to be competive without outpricing myself. I have very low overhead, for now. Is $50.00 an hour a reasonable figure to shoot for? even for a guy with no rep? just trying to get it right is all

Comment

am I lowballing? It is not my intention at all to do so. I am just gettin going and just trying to be competive without outpricing myself. I have very low overhead, for now. Is $50.00 an hour a reasonable figure to shoot for? even for a guy with no rep? just trying to get it right is all
            Here in Daytona I am at about 48.00 per hour and I everyday strive for the dollar a minute but it is a new economy we live in
            JLH Pro Lawn Care
            (386) 235-0567
            jlhprolawncare@gmail.com
            www.jlhprolawncare.com

Comment

The national average is @$45 a hour and I charge $40-60 depending on the service. Depending on the area you live, you are probably a little low. Remember you may have low overhead now, but what happens when you want to buy new equipment or expand?

Jay

Comment

I am wondering how to approach the idea of a complete job. Such as, if i will mow a place for lets say $35 (witch is my target price for one hour labor) but the bed edges are in bad shape, or the bushes are overgrown. If i put out a price to completley edge the property of say $130(three hours labor plus $25 dump fee)and the coustmer dosen't take it, I would not feel comfortable putting my name on the job with the property in disarray. I am just unsure of how to approach the topic of getting the complete property up to the level of quality i am striving for.
                When you are just getting started, why not take on what ever profitable work you can?

Ideally you may want to only put your name on quality properties, but could this property help your business grow and help get you to the point of caring for such properties in the future?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                X