No announcement yet.

Sample of my bid I put in this morning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought one off of Amazon. Thanks Steve! This shows how big of a noob I am. Never had to do this before.

Matt

Comment

your bid

Matt,

It looks really good, I am a little concerned after the first bid of 75.00 per month you leave your self very open for and extra 10 or 20 per month or 120-240 per yr. It wont take long for fert and mulch to eat that up in cost of goods and leave you trimming trees and installing fert -mulch ect for free. I think I would just give a bid for mow blow edge and go and leave other services as priced per job as needed. I have done the same thing before and it has "ate my lunch" before. Just my thoughts and only trying to be honest and give advice.

Comment

Matt,

It looks really good, I am a little concerned after the first bid of 75.00 per month you leave your self very open for and extra 10 or 20 per month or 120-240 per yr. It wont take long for fert and mulch to eat that up in cost of goods and leave you trimming trees and installing fert -mulch ect for free. I think I would just give a bid for mow blow edge and go and leave other services as priced per job as needed. I have done the same thing before and it has "ate my lunch" before. Just my thoughts and only trying to be honest and give advice.
        Those monthly charges are just for my service. They do not include the price of the materials (mulch, fertilizer, etc...). I added this note at the end of the bid under the prices of each package - "** Prices for mulch, compost and fertilizer are sold at exact cost from The Natural Gardener. These products will be invoiced separately. Note: Only organic products are used." But I'm afraid that line gets lost in all the writing.

The customer wanted everything wrapped up into the price. So I think I'm going to start including everything for future bids - cost of my service and a close estimate of the products. I can be flexible though. Whatever customer wants. That measuring wheel is going to help me out a lot and has releaved a lot of stress of "guestamation".

I really appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to look over the material.

Matt

Comment

Just bought one off of Amazon.
          Matt, keep us posted on how using one changes your bidding procedure and ultimately your profit margins.

leave other services as priced per job as needed. I have done the same thing before and it has "ate my lunch" before.
          This is a great point. Do you have any examples you could share with us that stand out in your head? I'd love to hear them.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Well, I went out and did a Fall Cleanup for the lady - underbidded myself again. Ugh! I'm getting better and better though at bidding for Fall Cleanups. I underestimate the leaves everytime. BUT good thing is her and her husband loved my work and they are signing up for my Ultimate Package and wanting me to come out around 32 times. Very exciting!

Other good thing is it is in a VERY HIGH CLASS neighborhood. Was very funny as there were landscapers everywhere in their awesome vehicles and trailers and mowers and there I was with just my truck, push mower and not even with a trailer. LOL I'm using a rake and plastic bags to pick up leaves. While they have all these fancy machines.

Here is another good thing. I saw my customers neighbor stop in front of my truck and she wrote my info down. As I was working on the customers lawn the neighbors lawn people came out and they didn't do a good job blowing or anything so hoping she is not happy with them and is interested in my work. She has a two story house and I wonder if she saw how good I left the neighbors backyard. Now here is the scary thing. The neighbors house is amazing. Has to be near million dollar home. I do not even have the equipment to do her house. LOL I don't even own a hedge trimmer yet and there would be a ton of hedge trimming at their house. Oh the joy of growing and being a noob! :-)

Oh and Steve. I did use that survey wheel and went over the lawn and the beds. I cannot believe it, but my prices that I totally guestimated on were right on with my estimate bid. Total lawn is 2190 sq ft and total beds for mulch is 610 sq ft. What a lucky guess!

Take care,
            Matt

Comment

Matt that is great!

Did you use your wheel when you created your bid for your leaf cleanup?

Can you tell us a little about the job? What was the size of the property? How long did you think it would take and how long did it ultimately take?

What lessons do you feel you learned from that bid that will help you in the future?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Matt that is great!

Did you use your wheel when you created your bid for your leaf cleanup?

Can you tell us a little about the job? What was the size of the property? How long did you think it would take and how long did it ultimately take?

What lessons do you feel you learned from that bid that will help you in the future?
                No for the leaf cleanup I just guestimate as best as I can. I have been using the measuring wheel like crazy though. That has been a life saver as I've been getting a lot of people wanting estimates on composting and fertilizer over the past week. I take it out, measure the lawn and give them the price right then and there. I can't believe how much I'm learning. Process is getting easier, confidence is building and I'm starting to get busier. I actually signed this lady up for our ultimate package today - $130 a month for 26 visits.

About the job:

Lady had about 2200 sf of lawn and 605 sf of mulch. They had a huge driveway of small rocks and lots of rocks in their backyard. Was a beautiful landscape on about 3/4 million dollar home.

Lessons I learned:

Pine needles and pecan shells are hard to remove out of rocks. I had a really hard time with those. I will not make that mistake again. Oh plus we were having some gusts of wind that day. Made it really hard to blow the leaves together. LOL Was very frustrating at times, but this job is so much fun! Overall thought job would take me a little under 2 hours and it took me 3 hours. Not very much for the price I charged. I messed up, but at least I got the 1 year agreement from them.

Matt

Comment

That is great to hear.

Now that you are using a wheel, do you find that you are using as a prop as well in your sales presentation? Do you find that your customers respond or react to your use of it?

Comment

That is great to hear.

Now that you are using a wheel, do you find that you are using as a prop as well in your sales presentation? Do you find that your customers respond or react to your use of it?
                    Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I need to get my estimates out faster. Just takes a while measuring everything then coming back to my truck, calculate the fertilizer, compost, mulch and all that stuff. I just tell them I need to measure out your lawn in order to give them an exact quote of material and cost. So far the response has been ok I guess. Nobody has mentioned it, but every place that I've used it so far has used my service.

Matt

Comment

My way to expedite most billing,invoicing and estimates while on the job site
                      Attached Files
                      JLH Pro Lawn Care
                      (386) 235-0567
                      jlhprolawncare@gmail.com
                      www.jlhprolawncare.com

Comment

Did you install that? Do you have a mobile printer too? Any pics of how you set it up?

Comment

Did you install that? Do you have a mobile printer too? Any pics of how you set it up?
                          no pics installed but yes there will be a color scanner,printer,copier onboard along with mobile internet all running power from a 3000 watt power inverter so anything that could be done at home can be done on the go.
                          just one reason having a van rocks!
                          JLH Pro Lawn Care
                          (386) 235-0567
                          jlhprolawncare@gmail.com
                          www.jlhprolawncare.com

Comment

I'm still working on perfecting my business as well as I'm only in my second year. However, one of my very first purchases was one of the measuring wheels. After a good number of bids under your belt getting to know sizes by eye, you find you use it less but it is a great deal of help.

Comment

I haven't really been on the board lately, but I saw this and just had to reply. Forgive me, but it's going to be long

Obviously you are going to make mistakes starting off, especially with underbidding yourself. You will get better.

I managed to get a measuring wheel from a customer who was moving, and he traded me a bunch of lawn equipment for the last 2 weeks of service (including the wheel). I have used that a lot!

My first thought about your bids was why are you only mowing every other week? I have customers that I visit weekly, even in the winter. I have in our agreement that during the winter service is only every other week, but I still show up anyways. I figure if I was paying someone what they pay me, I want them to at least show up.

My second thought, your price is way too low. But you also say (in the fine print) that any products are going to cost more. As a business owner, and consumer, I don't want hidden costs.

I give my customer 1 rate, and that includes everything (mowing, blowing, fertilizer, weed spraying, etc). It's a hassle for a customer to budget in $85 a month for lawn service to be hit with an extra $30 for fertilizer, and $100 for mulch. Screw that, just give me one price.

Going back to something you said before about other companies not doing as good of a job. I feel I do a good job, and sure, some days I slack a little. But I have had customer ask me about their lawn, because "there is some moss over here that they aren't taking care of...". I tell them that they should contact the company and just express their concerns about the moss. They might not have noticed it, or they are waiting till a certain time to deal with all of it at once. I don't steal customers. I consider other companies as associates, not competition, and certainly not someone to steal from.

I've handed jobs to other companies, either because it's out of my area, or over my head.

Also, about price, why did you bid a clean-up at only $35?! You said you expected it to only take 2 hours...$17.5 an hour for a company is nothing. If your company is making that much per man hour, you are paying yourself less then $6/hr.

I think I will stop at all that...

Comment

My first thought about your bids was why are you only mowing every other week? I have customers that I visit weekly, even in the winter. I have in our agreement that during the winter service is only every other week, but I still show up anyways. I figure if I was paying someone what they pay me, I want them to at least show up.
                                I think many lawn care business owners are unsure of what to do when it comes to this. When it is winter and you show up to their property, what do you do? What if there is nothing to do? What then?

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X