Winter prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter prices

I couldn't seem to find much around here, or through other companies in the distant area, about winter prices.

I understand that I should just take my lawn cut price (say $30), multiply that by the number of cuts a year (say 36), and then divide that by 12 (totally $90 a month) for just mowing. And that would give me a price, per month, all year around. But there is no contact.

One thing I did earlier this year is provide a lawn care "package", an all inclusive lawn maintenance for one discounted price. I started out at $100 a month for lawn care, but soon realized that I was way underbidding my competition. There is a company about 20 miles away that bids that same work for $155 (to start).

So I raised me prices on future bids to $120-$140 a month (with $140 being pretty standard for me now). I feel good about the prices at this point.

So, back to the reason of this post. It is beginning to slow down (grass growing that is), and I need to keep working.

Now, because my customers aren't in a contract with me, and some are just having me mow 2-4 times a month, I'm wondering how much to bid for a winter maintenance.

The price I came up with right now, for the growing season ($120-$140), was I took all the work I did for the lawn, figured out the cost, and gave a 25% discount. It seemed to work well, for now. But when I do that same for the winter plan, I come up with a $50-$60 per month estimate. With some tweaking, I even came up with $85 on some accounts (which is much better).

That price isn't exactly blowing my skirt up, if you know what I mean.

Also, the reason I want to do something is I have some customers who have already wanted to go bi-weekly. I tell them my bi-weekly prices are slightly higher, and so far some stayed with weekly, while others went bi-weekly. Also, with some customers, they were curious what a winter price would be earlier in the year when started a lawn maintenance package.

Any thoughts on this? Need any more information?

Well, it seems like no one does any winter lawn care, or at least no one wants to help out with pricing.

Well, if anyone is interested, I stuck with the regular price of $120-$140. I wrote up a letter for my customers, and added in a lot more winter care, such as insecticides, liming, and Christmas tree disposal.

So far it seems to be working. I got one customer to "upgrade" his account, and I feel confident that others with continue with care into the winter, and some might upgrade to a full-service deal too.

Comment

Forgive me for asking, but what the heck is "winter lawn care"?

Around here, you'd need a snow thrower to get to the grass if you really wanted to "care" for it in the winter.

Perhaps it's different where you are.

Comment

From what you are saying, it seems you would like to have some sort of annual contract with a monthly rate that stays the same all year long, regardless if you mow or not. Is this correct?

Why not use a contract with this?

Well, if anyone is interested, I stuck with the regular price of $120-$140. I wrote up a letter for my customers, and added in a lot more winter care, such as insecticides, liming, and Christmas tree disposal.
        Could you show us what you sent out? It would give me a better idea of what you are doing.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

With some tweaking, the following works to either attempt to "upgrade" their account, or just give them the details of their already existing lawn care program.

Dear [Customer],

After some questions from customers about the coming winter months and their more complete lawn care package, I have listed below the details for full-service lawn care. I understand that there might be additional services needed, but we can discuses that as the time comes.

The price for your lawn would still be $XXX per month.

During the high growth season (Mid-March to Mid-October) you get:
          • Weekly mowing
          • Weekly blowing
          • Control weeds and moss in the lawn
          • Bi-weekly edging
          • Fertilization every 6 weeks
          • Periodic soil tests

During the slow growth season (Mid-October to Mid-March) you get:
          • Two visits every month (barring extreme weather)
          • Mowing at least once per month but as often as needed
          • Blowing every visit
          • Edging once per month
          • A top quality winter fertilizer applied every two months
          • Insecticide applied as needed to treat for European crane fly
          • Free disposal and hauling of your Christmas tree, wreaths, etc
          • Lime applied up to twice a year, as needed to balance the soil Ph

Thank you very much for using me for your lawn maintenance needs.

[My Contact Info]

Comment

I didn't notice that Hedgemaster had replied too.

Where I live (the Pacific Northwest), we don't really get snow. Sure, some areas do, but for the most part, we don't. It just seems to rain.

I was looking around at other companies in the area, and they have stuff that they do in the winter months. What I found out was liming, insecticides, and a winter fertilizer, were a main thing done. And I think adding Christmas tree disposal is a nice touch too, though it wasn't my idea.

I have thought about doing a contract, but I think I might scare some customers away actually. But most of the customers that I have are good customers, many of which are small business owners as well, and I think that they might understand that my business is growing beyond just trying to make a few bucks off of Craigslist, and into a decent enterprise.

So, I guess what I am saying is that they might actually go with a contract. I have actually tried to find them on this site, but didn't have any luck. Anyone know a quick link to some? But I'm just not sure how to approach them with it.

Comment

I was just thinking about how i will do my winter care,

same price per month again as you,

now instead of mowing 2,3 or 4 times per month, its raking and leaves removal 1time per month.. a mow as well on that 1 time.

i can only think at this time, your missing in your list is the leaves removal
              (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

The contracts are located in the lawn care templates section here

http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You have a lot of great ideas and I think more are coming as you continue with your business.

The question I have is how do you make this all simple for the customer?

What does the customer ultimately want? Do they want you to simply care for their property with one flat monthly price? Would it be easier next year if you kicked it off with a simple presentation and price structure?

Do you have plans to experiment with your packages next year? What would you like to do then?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X