Culvert Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culvert Installation

My 2 I.C. has been after me for some backhoe experience so today was the day, it's been months since I have had the hoe on this unit which is his favorite tractor.

The goal was to start with the down spouts on the house and dig a 3' deep trench all the way down the property to the culvert. It didn't take him long to catch on and he finished the trench in about 5 hours, it's 160 feet long, he laid pipe and had about half of it back filled by the time he left at 6.

I am on the same property with the 27, it is now code here to put precast culvert ends in, residents have another 3 years to get it done and we do quite a few a year, the reason is the old way was to build up the ends with rock however due to our winter weather they never stay, plug and flooding takes place.

I pick the ends up at a place where they are made as I get a super discount, these things are desperate heavy I would estimate around 3,200 pounds each as it's all the 27 can do to lift them off the trailer.

First thing to be done is remove the old culvert, as luck would have it this one, even though galvanized was rusted out, I have to pick up a new one in the morning, code is a PVC type culvert.

Tomorrow I will install the new culvert, then the ends and they want a nice driveway.

I used to cringe switching from backhoe to 3 pt hitch however I can do it right on the trailer in just over 5 min which is excellent, this will allow Billy to try the box blade on a customers property, he has practised quite a bit on mine and I think he is ready.

Final picture is the client and his wife going for a drive in an MG he just rebuilt, it was a perfect day for it, man was it hot!
    Attached Files
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Andy,

This is really cool!

So your town is requiring households to make this change to using these concrete ends? Is this something you should be making a postcard about and sending it to home owners?

Could you also show a picture of the downspout pipes and how you can offer that service as well? That would be the perfect upsell!

Also, how much do these ends cost? Would you make more money if you could make a form and cast them yourself or would that not be worth it?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Hi Steve, I had thought of making a post card last year when I learned of this change however I have always had about all the excavation jobs we can handle. I only have two excavators that will lift these due to their weight, the only excavator worth bringing is the 27, I prefer to leave the bigger excavator on larger jobs as it cost so much to move them around, the bucket is almost too big for this kind of work and the time to move the equipment is down time.

Halifax is made up of the City proper then what they call Halifax Regional Municipality or HRM, that is all the communities around the city going out I would guess 15 miles.

Some areas of HRM, the city is changing the ends and adding to your tax bill, when I learned of this I did my own driveway myself as I can do it for a fraction of the cost. Now I have no idea how they determine if they will replace or if the homeowner will replace, I mention it to many places where we work, some people ask for a price and to go ahead, like this one, some want to push it off as they are saving for paving and will do it all at one, some can't afford it on top of whatever else we are doing.

I pay less than $200 for these as we buy all of our walkway and retaining wall brick from the same place so it would not be worth making them. They are certified, I believe some engineering thing which is a requirement.

I will take an image of the down spout tie in's today, this is a pretty big service for us, we probably do 60 places a year, water lying up against the house if not a good thing, some divert it to their lawns but experience wash out, in this case the water from the down spouts and the grade was washing out parts of the driveway, we get some pretty intense rain storms.

The down spout drains and the culvert ends were an upsell, the client had asked us about fixing up the driveway, now the five neighbours want their's down also, there is one I can't do as his driveway is paved, one will be very interesting as his driveway is done with pavers and not done properly in that the driveway looks like the high seas, I am shocked at how much the pavers have moved in three years, the original company is no longer around and it will be a two week job for us to fix it. This is a private subdivision, I believe 7 homes.
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Here is a map I did up of our service area, where the majority of our work is and where I live
        Attached Files
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

It is quite amazing! I guess if you keep your eyes open, you can find as much work as you ever wanted. I bet this applies to all areas, not just yours. But you certainly do a great job at keeping an eye out for new trends!
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

It is quite amazing! I guess if you keep your eyes open, you can find as much work as you ever wanted. I bet this applies to all areas, not just yours. But you certainly do a great job at keeping an eye out for new trends!
            I agree, if you want the work I honestly believe it is there, it somewhat boils down to how much you want it, willing to work to get it, have equipped yourself with knowledge, equipment and staff. Do a good job and the business from quality jobs we all do will generate enough new business to grow as fast as you want.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X