Apartment complex bid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment complex bid

Well, Today went from a doctors appointment and apartment hunting to a possible bid place.

We looked at a few complexs and the last one we went to, i told them i had two trailers i needed to park and a truck with vinyl on the sides that needed to be parked on property due to my business.
    One of the ladies looked at me like "duhhhhhh, what?" I explained 70% of my income is from the landscaping business. "Really now? are you Certified?" just by chance, my FedEx O/N came in with my Depot Certified papers and i had them in the van. Showed them to her and she was impressed, an independent with OSHA Approval and a Compliance Depot Certification? She called the management company that owns the property and they sent some one out at 6pm. We sat down and talked. The current company they have is being fired for negligence and crap work . They have had bids for work but, no one with OSHA approval also.

I want/need to bid on this, i want the account, i dont know how to do it. Ill also need to hire two more bodies just for this job mainly. I cover the rest. Its a 2 day job alone tho . I wanna see my wife and help her through this pregnancy and not be like im in the military. SOmeone, input please?

sits on
    M.A.K. Landscaping

http://www.ma-klandscaping.com

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
    Seminole County FL

"Treating your property as if it were OUR own!"

Took too long to edit, long day.

Here is a copy of the over head view from public records of the neighborhood.

It is everything around the lake. Off of "GREAT POND"

Matt
    Attached Files
    M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
    Seminole County FL

Comment

Well how many bushes/ trees; grass areas to be mowed sq ftage. how easy. How much blowing, etc. Cnt help if we dont know the job but you should know by now its just on a bigger scale it sounds like for you.
      Colton
      Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I want/need to bid on this, i want the account, i dont know how to do it.
        Break it down and tell us what the bid requires.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Okay, well...

They called me yesterday requesting a bid within 14days so, i spent 4 hours last night putting one together.

Cover Sheet:
          Company Name
          Evaluation/Bid Form (title)
          ATTENTION - Site Manager (Name if you have it)

Short paragraph about what you can bring to the community and tenants.

Footer -
          Company name - Bid Sheet (amount it expires in)
          YOUR company name

Page Two - Main Evaluation

Your company name
          Address

Site (complex)
          Address of main office

List buildings/streets as needed

Grid:

3 x 8 for easy reading

Top line - Job - Time required - Pricing
          Cut
          Edge
          Weed-Eat
          Cleanup/blow
          Hedges
          Palm Tree Trimming
          Hurricane Season clean-up / Hourly rate (can also do snow plowing)(also includes my normal trees downed, most trees here dont fall unless pushed by winds)

A full sized box about 4 inches tall, all open to write "Obsticals" in. In box put "locations not listed but on file if needed" - Usually good for pool areas, small parks, lakes/ponds, water control areas, ect.

I also wrote a closing letter. You dont have to but, it lets them into YOUR business a little. Let them know WHO you are and WHY you want to bring them the best pricing available. Boast about how much better you are than their current company (not insulting tho).

This is how i have done it. There you go steve, thats my addition to the site lol.
          M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
          Seminole County FL

Comment

For strict lawn maintenance, just estimate the turf areas that will need to be mowed and build a time estimate. Do the same for trimming/edging/debris blowing.

Then I rate the job on how difficult it is and if I am already in the area (fuel/travel time) And I bid.

Of course figuring out your expenses for the job is THE place to start. Fuel/hour, man hours, insurance, etc... all the stuff you already know. Do you need more equipment? etc...

Congrats. I bet you get it.
            Workin' for a livin'?... nah, working for my family.

Comment

What is your view on how long these jobs will take? Were you able to break it down like that? And a total time estimate to perform all the services?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What is your view on how long these jobs will take? Were you able to break it down like that? And a total time estimate to perform all the services?
                That is exactly what I do. I take my time with estimates for larger or more complex properties. Experience tells me how long it will take me (with or without help) how long each task will take. I do a mental walk through looking at the obvious. I also make mental notes about possible up selling as I view the property. Once I guesstimate how long it will take me for each task, add it up, and bid. Though I don't strictly use time as my price gauge... that is just a good start from which to determine costs... at least for me. I think there are several ways lcos can do this according to their formula and succeed. This is just the way I do it.

I still get it wrong sometimes.... meaning it might take me longer than expected. We all do that from time-to-time leading to the infamous "cussing of oneself." lol. However with time, comes efficiency at the property.

It really is a mix of science (experience) and chance it seems.
                Workin' for a livin'?... nah, working for my family.

Comment

I was .56 hours off just by doing it by sight, AWESOME MAN!

thanks.

MAtt
                  M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
                  Seminole County FL

Comment

What total time did you calculate?

Comment

Okay, I took a buddy with me and dropped him 25$ to help me measure, took us two hours for the evaluation.

I came up with -
                      Cut - 3.00 hours roughly 2.76 acres total cut, lots of traveling around on the mower, 3gallons of gas used for the complex - 165$
                      Edge - We used a roller to measure, walked right against the curb, from the entrance, walked, marked ever mile with orange paint... 3.24miles 2.5hours with fill ups, blade change half way through - 137.50$
                      Weed Eat - Around the trees and all buildings 11 total - 2.0hours one spool change (single spool for myself 2 for him haha) - 2.00 - 110$
                      Clean-Up - full 3.24+ miles (didnt measure the side walks and first floors) 1.0 - 55$
                      Hedges/Shrubs/trimming - 4hours + single load haul 260$ (once monthly)
                      Palm Trimming - upto 30ft 25$ each, trimmed and billed as completed
                      Hurricane Clean-up, prep service, tree services - 45$/hr single man crew 60$ two man crew request, billed by the hour and 40$ per 1500lb load

Monthly Pricing for bi-weekly cuts - 1595$ (summer apr - nov) 935$ (winter Dec, jan, feb, mar)

Offered a full scale yearly service, included FULL SERVICE and 100$ a month in foilage or 1200$ once yearly with installs at 2300$ a month flat rate, included hurricane and clean ups, on site service 24/7 services.

I ranged it off a full 8hr service, twice monthly... the area is blanketed in shade and they have about 3500$ in dead tropical plants that NEED to be replaced due to lack of sun light.
                      I did offer a leaf clean up for 200$ flat (about 400$ job with dumpster drops) to eliminate the natural FUEL FOR THE FIRE if one were to arise, it wouldnt spread.

I dropped the quote off today with my OSHA Cert, Insurance Papers, Two "Compliance Depot Certifications" from two local monoply complexs that have me on an emergency call services (clean outs or trees downed usually my call).

I had it all set up in a fancy/snazzy envelope with my logo and ATTENTION: Bid/Evaluation Material Enclosed - Time Limited Material

Had all of my advertising information...

I am moving into this complex on Sept 1st, i did a "localization" and "Insurance" discount to let them know i wouldnt be charging for fuel since i will be living on location.

1600$ a month would make my day. And my second trailer would get a mower, edger, weed eater and trimmers for my residential and my buddy would become an employee so i could cover my 48 residential accounts, and this commercial account. I need this so i can quit my day job on mondays and tuesdays. And i can grab two more commercial accounts and be set .

The Calculator... FREAKING AWESOME! I typed in my numbers and came up with 8.56hrs for the job. i was .56 short... it is DEAD ON! Ill use it now on.

TWO THUMBS UP!

Matt
                      M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
                      Seminole County FL

Comment

That is fantastic! I am glad they helped.

It's amazing when you put the time into creating your bid how accurate you can get it and how that can make all the difference in the long run.

If you get locked into an underbid contract, it will hurt every month and have the potential to sink you.

I am moving into this complex on Sept 1st, i did a "localization" and "Insurance" discount to let them know i wouldn't be charging for fuel since i will be living on location.
                        When you say you offered a discount because you will live there, I can understand the fuel part, but can you tell me how an insurance discount came into play?

Also, would it be worth your while if they gave you the apartment rent free and you knocked that amount off your bill?

It would actually be a better deal for them because they are tacking on a % of profit to your monthly rent. If they were to knock your rent to $0 and you discounted their bill. They would only be losing out their expenses for that apartment unit, which would be less than the full rent cost. You potentially would be paying less tax because you would be making less money on the job. Maybe this would work, maybe not? But I figured I'd suggest it.

Comment

That is fantastic! I am glad they helped.

It's amazing when you put the time into creating your bid how accurate you can get it and how that can make all the difference in the long run.

If you get locked into an underbid contract, it will hurt every month and have the potential to sink you.

When you say you offered a discount because you will live there, I can understand the fuel part, but can you tell me how an insurance discount came into play?

Also, would it be worth your while if they gave you the apartment rent free and you knocked that amount off your bill?

It would actually be a better deal for them because they are tacking on a % of profit to your monthly rent. If they were to knock your rent to $0 and you discounted their bill. They would only be losing out their expenses for that apartment unit, which would be less than the full rent cost. You potentially would be paying less tax because you would be making less money on the job. Maybe this would work, maybe not? But I figured I'd suggest it.
                          I didnt think about that... I might have to bring it up .
                          M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
                          Seminole County FL

Comment

It be interesting to see what they have to say. Who knows, maybe there is more money there for you to help them with other things, like issues that arise with the renters. Changing light bulbs, door knobs, etc etc?

Comment

I GOT THE BID!

*dancing trying to stay awake*

Working on my contract now... about to go and pass out...

Matt
                              M.A.K. Landscaping

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
                              Seminole County FL

Comment

Working...
                              X