Driveway leads to a ton of work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveway leads to a ton of work

On Fridays I tend to like to do jobs that I can do by myself so today was a driveway resurface using the 2520 and box blade. I took before pictures but it was somewhat dark and fog so they didn’t turn out.

This property is about 4 min from my home, private community with an amazing golf course, the driveway was only three years old however the 6” surge rock was coming through as was granite boulders so I used the 27D excavator removing the rock, did a light pass with the teeth but had to be careful as I didn’t want to disturb the surge too much.

It was a fun day, I really love the box blade and the results.

Picked up 6 more driveways from neighbours driving by, gave out over 30 cards from people driving to the golf course but the best part is the manager of the golf course stopped as I was doing the second driveway, long story short he hired me to come in and regrade all the walkways and golf cart path’s.

I have been leaving a few messages for this guy for over a year as I want to pick up the spraying (Organic) of the course, we spoke at length and I have a meeting with their head grounds keeper in the morning but as far as he was concerned it was a done deal.

Anyhow I got three driveways done then took the afternoon of to work on daughters car
    Attached Files
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Nice!

Hey i like your posting with the pics, however im a little confused..

What kind of material is this drive?
    (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

Hey i like your posting with the pics, however im a little confused..

What kind of material is this drive?
      1/2" Crusher Run, it's one level above Class A and one below crushed granite, it compacts like pavement and lasts a very long time, I was told today by the quarry I am one of the few contractors that use it, main reason is it's about $5.00 a yard more than class A.
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Is it sticky like pavement or have am adhesive mix? or does it just produce that grade by itself?

Thats very nice stuff from the looks of it, i dont know much about anything more than gravel basically.

Comment

Is it sticky like pavement or have am adhesive mix? or does it just produce that grade by itself?

Thats very nice stuff from the looks of it, i dont know much about anything more than gravel basically.
          Nothing added, it has about 30 - 40% crusher dust which is why it compacts so fast and so hard.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Did you just regrade that or did you add some to the driveway?

Comment

Did you just regrade that or did you add some to the driveway?
              Both actually, this one is about 600 feet long, took two and a half hours and I charge $2,200, material cost is close to $500.00, the going rate around here is $2,500 so I know what the competition is charging to ensure I get the job
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

You get a high rate of return because of your equipment costs right?

I know a excavator can range from 20k to 75k or more right?

and your tractors and stuff thats all high dollar equipment.

I saw a guy asking what would be the highest profitable service, this look like it ranks up there, but again with the high cost of the specific equipment, like excavator, dozer, etc, it wouldnt be something someone would want to jump right into, right?

Commendations on such nice work and profit!

Knowing the competitors price is almost always the key to landing jobs instantly!

Comment

My excavators are $27 to $97k ea, we have four

Tractors (CUTS with Loaders) are $18 to $35k and we have 7, 4 of which bave backhoe's, however we are the only landscaping company here to use them.

I had no problems jumping in and getting both feet wet, sink or swim as they say, I had to set the bar high enough back in April that the trunk slammers and small guys could not or did not have access to the capital, by doing what I did I basically eliminated 95% of the competition.

We are a one stop shop for a homeowner, no matter what they need done to their property, we have the equipment and staff with experience to do the job.

I did the same thing with wood chipping, I invested in two $23k chippers as the small guys were running gravity fed 4" units, I have hydraulic fed 8 and 10", we feed the tree with the excavator 6" and under and it's gone in seconds, what we can do in a day, take over 90% of my competition a week, I know this from constant feedback from clients who have used the services of others.

Now we are in a position to take on the big guys and I can beat them on services and pricing as I don't have the overhead.

I have taken a similar approach with other companies I owned, by the time the big guys even know I am around it's too late as I am sometimes bigger than they are.
                  Andy
                  Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Andy,

Great job on the driveway! Amazing! It's an incredible shot with all that greenery too!

however the 6” surge rock was coming through as was granite boulders
                    What is the purpose of the surge rock being there?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Andy,

Great job on the driveway! Amazing! It's an incredible shot with all that greenery too!

Thanks,

6" Surge around here can be necessary as we have so much bedrock which is covered in a layer quite often of what we call black bog, the surge provides for drainage.

We use road construction fabric rather than surge as the long term results are far better, at the same time we do not do a lot of new construction, 90 percent of our excavator work and tractor work is fixing other companies mistakes either recent or years ago.
                      Andy
                      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Andy,

Back in 2003 we were hit with a Hurricane (Juan) that did massive damage to our city, thousands of trees and many are still cleaning up, on my own property the kids say they counted over 800 trees down, mainly spruce. I had a clean up quote at the time and it was close to 40 grand which was way out of my price range, over the years I have cleaned up the front of the property which is around 950 feet long by 300 feet wide, the back was pretty much left until today.

Yesterday's job was to start in my centre of the lot in my back yard and make a trail so that I can get a CUT and chipper in, go back about 500 feet then Y with each arm of the Y another 1,000 feet.

Man it's slow going, aside from all the trees down, granite is everywhere and it's desperate hard finding a fairly clean spot to dig to get fill and bury rocks but I have up to the Y done and about 600 feet on each arm of the Y.

Today I will put the chipper on one of the CUT's and head back to see if I can put a dent in this.

Fun day especially being able to finally get at my own property and having the gear to do it sure saves a lot and I get what I want. I will haul most of these pieces of granite out and use them for a rock wall down the sides of my property in front, mainly to get rid of them, will take years to complete but has started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBzdG5VEbD4

The 27 struggled with that one but I know if I can wiggle a rock I can move it, one of our bigger excavators would have been a better choice for moving what I ran into however I don't want a wide road, just something wide enough for the CUT and chipper so the 27 fit the bill. I managed to do this in just over 10 hours.

There are lots of jobs like this around Halifax but people for the most part can't afford to get it done, we have a long list of clients where we go in and pick away at it each year, we actually prefer this, a week or two at the same site and everyone is ready to move on.

The excavator saves a ton of work as I can pick up an entire tree using the thumb and bring it to or simply feed it into the chipper.

Softwood around here hasn't been worth much the past few years, I will chip everything, make mulch and sell it.
                        Attached Files
                        Andy
                        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

That is pretty incredible! I am guessing when hurricane Juan came through it just blew over a lot of trees because they didn't have much earth below them to create a strong root system? Or was it just the winds were way too strong?
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What is this machine you call a CUT?

Which chippers do you have? , Could you give me some ratings and the specs please?

i want to get a hydraulic fed disk chipper, around 8" but I would prefer 10" if i can pull it, as i know i cant pull a vermeer 12". I missed a hell of a deal from the power company on a hydraulic fed 10" machine for 3500.00 some time ago :cry:

Sounds like you are booming, thats excellent, keep up the good work! ( It's guys like you that provide me with a little more motivation and a little less fear about diving into the deep! )

Comment

That is pretty incredible! I am guessing when hurricane Juan came through it just blew over a lot of trees because they didn't have much earth below them to create a strong root system? Or was it just the winds were way too strong?
                              The winds were insane blowing windows out of high rise buildings, boats were lifted from the ocean and sat on the roads, it was crazy to see. We get high winds but nothing like that, where I live we were without power for 10 days, I however had a generator and my home became a gathering point for people on our street.
                              Andy
                              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X