Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much to charge?

OK,
    i have a problem i charge between 22.50-25$ per lawn but i have 2 employees that cost me 10per hours and i have 50 lawns to do all over town.17 lawns cost me (to pay employees)around 160.00 how can i make money?
    thank's jeff

OK,
    i have a problem i charge between 22.50-25$ per lawn but i have 2 employees that cost me 10per hours and i have 50 lawns to do all over town.17 lawns cost me (to pay employees)around 160.00 how can i make money?
    thank's jeff
    Hi Jeff ! U can charge your customers .003 cents a sq. ft. of there property "Example" 75x150= 11250 sq. ft. I would charge my customer $34 dollars per cut n for as your employees i would pay them a percentage of each job they do. Just an idea to think about.

Comment

I see a problem with charging customers .003 per sq ft for a example i only have grass in my front yard and i have a 1/4 acre lot with my house on it and add on room and a carport/shed so my yard that is in grass is only 24ft by 24ft a total of 576 sq ft at .003 it adds up to only $1.73 i do base my prices on sq ft but starting price is 25.00 for 600 sq ft or less and then 601 to 1000 sq ft is 30.00 and for every 500 ft is another 5 dollars so a 1500 sq ft lawn is 35.00. in the area i live in this works the best for me. I live in the desert and most people dont have very big yards we have to water 3 times a day to keep it green so the cost of having yard here is very expensive. We only get 4 inches of rain a year and we havent had any rain since march.

Comment

OK,
        thank's jeff
        I am assuming you have one setup (vehicle, trailer and mowing gear), either expand which you should not need to do with 50 accounts or drop one employee.

The other option is to get the employees to do the work while you concentrate on business development including additional services.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

So your money made a week is roughly $1125 @ 22.50 per yard x 50 yards, your payroll is roughly $480 per week? Unless I am wrong, thats about a $600 profit? You can make additional money on doing upsells to your current customers. Things such as, hedge trimming, edging driveways and walkways, doing bed weeding, mulch installs and so on. Also take on the task of soliciting to neighbors of your existing customers. Leave them flyers with advertising on work you provide. It costs no more in travel time to load & unload equipment when you are already there. I have a court that I started this year that I had one customer on, I now service 3 homes on the court. It takes us an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to do all three. The customers payment is $130, the payroll for the 2 employees I have is $40. The profit from the court would be my cut obviously. Hope this helps!
          Last edited by jymie; 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM.
          http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

This is a very interesting question and there have been a lot of great responses so far.

There are a lot of variables that can come into play here.

How many properties are you able to mow per day?

How efficient do you feel you are with 2 employees and what made you decide to go from one employee to two?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

do you guys reajust the price?

hello again,
              i leave me advertisement in the newspaper from mai 1 to the end of august. i was wondering if you guys adjust your prices as you go like if i cut 10 days intervals =16 times guring the summmer at 365.00=$22.81 and there is 10 weeks left do you charge 228.10 or do you charge full price thanks for the feed back.
              jeff

Comment

hello again,
                i leave me advertisement in the newspaper from mai 1 to the end of august. i was wondering if you guys adjust your prices as you go like if i cut 10 days intervals =16 times guring the summmer at 365.00=$22.81 and there is 10 weeks left do you charge 228.10 or do you charge full price thanks for the feed back.
                jeff
                Why would you charge for work not done. If you charge the full 16 times but only go 10 times arent u stealing from the customer?

Charge what it cost each time for you to go out. if thats 22.81 and your only going once u charge 22.81. I dont c how you can..... but thats what you charge.
                Colton
                Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

If it costs the charge of 17 lawns to pay your employees, then you are left with 33 lawns' worth of income for your other expenses. 33 X 22.5 = $742.50

at minimum you are left with $742.50 Out of there, you need to pay your business expenses and what is left over is yours.

It seems to me that your lawns are either too big or too spread out..or both in order for you to have to hire 2 employees to get them done. If either is the case, it seems $22.50-$25 is to low. Generally 50 lawns is manageable by 1 person (taking into consideration the weather is ok for the week) or 1 person and a part time helper. Although you may have to work weekends and long days.

all in all.. to make money, either charge more or increase efficiency...or both. Maybe more efficient machines or employees.

Comment

Another thought would be to try to service areas of the town. For example one day service the southern area, next day service the eastern, next day the western and next day the northern. Keep the properties as close to each other as possible to cut down on drive time. Map your properties and group them to do in the best possible least time consuming route.

Comment

The hardest part is developing the technique to get more out of your customers. Continually talking to them usually leads to more work.
                      Last edited by jymie; 10-14-2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

What kinds of service suggestions have you gotten from customers you talked to? Do they tend to bring the ideas up or is it more you point them out first? What's the best way to do this?
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Once your customer gets comfortable with you, they usually will ask you about certain things. It is good to take notice on some things they could do, but also important to remember not to pile it all on at once. They tend to go into a shell then. If I notice they may need a hedge trimming, once the discussion starts about that, I say something like, I notice that your hedges need to be trimmed. We can do that for you if you like, but you would want to do the hedges before you put mulch in if you were thinking about doing that. That usually leads to them saying, oh do you do that as well? You should be giving all your customers some literature that informs them of what other services you also can provide for them. I found the best avenue to do that is come up with a customer folder for each customer include in it flyers for every service that you could provide for them. When they want to do it, they will call you as the information will already be in their hands.

Comment

That is a very good point.

Now when you talk about not piling up the services, that makes sense. In a situation where you are offering hedge trimming, do you also talk about mulch at the same? Do you look at it as one big job with multiple parts that are all related or do you look at them separately?

Comment

That is a very good point.

Now when you talk about not piling up the services, that makes sense. In a situation where you are offering hedge trimming, do you also talk about mulch at the same? Do you look at it as one big job with multiple parts that are all related or do you look at them separately?
                              What has worked best for me is after the hedge trimming is done and collecting the pay for it, I plant in their mind that now this will really look nice with some new mulch. Let me know if you want to do that, we can make this really look great. That seems to work best. I go into it looking to do the whole ball of wax, but I don't want to scare em off either.

Comment

Working...
                              X