condo bid help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condo bid help needed

Hello my name is Darwin and I am new to this site. I need help on bidding on this job. It is a 135 condo unit. It appeared to be in very bad shape when I went to look at it yesterday. I have never had a big job like this before. If some one could please help I would truly appreciate it. I have attached a google earth pic.

thanks,
    Darwin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by franklindarwin; 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM.

Are you offering just basic lawn care? mow blow edge trim?

I see alot of trees and bushes so i was wondering if you are going to be taking care of those also?

Comment

Yes I plan on doing everything. Those trees are their problem area.

Comment

about how many sq ft of grass is there to cut?

How many feet of sidewalk/ curb that you have to edge?

How many hours do you think this job will take you?

What is your hourly rate?

Comment

70885 ft²
          60885 ft²
          About 8 hrs
          75 hour

70 percent of the work at this property is bushes.

Comment

70885 ft²
            60885 ft²
            About 8 hrs
            75 hour

70 percent of the work at this property is bushes.
            I take care of several apartments. Two are as large as this one. 8 hours does not seem to be enough time. If you think it will take 8 hours bid 16. There are several variables in this type of bid that you may not be seeing. Tree trimming and hauling, mowing will not be that bad. Weedeating and edging will take a lot of time, blowing around all of the cars, and you will have to deal with items left on the lawn (toys, trash,etc...)

It just takes longer than one would think. I charge on a level pay contract
            (12 mothly payments) over two thousand dollars a month for these large complex.

Just don't cut yourself short. Know your cost.

that pays over two thousand dollars a month for these large

Comment

Denis is right, there are a lot of variables in this type of property. I also find in hard to bid based on the square footage alone; for example you are looking at almost 2 acres of grass, but it will take longer than say an estate that is 2 acres. This property is broken up alot more.

Sometimes I find it easier to charge by the unit. Say their are 20 units or buildings that have similiar amount of landscaping around them. Develope a price for a few of these units and come up with an average then multiply this number by how many units are on the property. For example lets say you measure 3 units.

Unit 1 = $65, Unit 2 = $80, Unit 3 = $70 = Avg. $71.66

$71.66 per unit x 20 units = $1,433

If you are new to apartments and condo associations this may help IF THE LANDSCAPE IS SIMILIAR around all the buildings. You are basically breaking it down into a property size you are comfortable bidding on.

Comment

I take care of several apartments. Two are as large as this one. 8 hours does not seem to be enough time. If you think it will take 8 hours bid 16.
                Do you have any stories of getting burned early on when bidding larger properties like this one?

Should a lawn care business owner ask if they need to be picking up trash around the parking lot for such bids?

It just takes longer than one would think. I charge on a level pay contract (12 mothly payments) over two thousand dollars a month for these large complex.
                When you charge like this, do you provide the same services all year long or do you scale it down in the winter time and still get paid the same amount as the summer?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Do you have any stories of getting burned early on when bidding larger properties like this one?

Should a lawn care business owner ask if they need to be picking up trash around the parking lot for such bids?

When you charge like this, do you provide the same services all year long or do you scale it down in the winter time and still get paid the same amount as the summer?
                  I was luckey enough to know what they were paying before and had done other properties that I learned on before getting into a 12 month contract. When I first started I underbid a lot of trimming, edging, and tree trimming. It is hard lessons to learn but valuable as well.

I do not pick up trash in the parking lots, only where I need to cut. If there is a lot of trash consistantly at the same apartment I report it to the manager and they talk to the renter and fix the problem. Toys and lawn furnature are just expected.

I give them a cut schedule that is normally 37 cuts. In the winter months I scale back to 1 or 2 cuts a month. They pay the same every month. In the summer months they pay less than they would otherwise but I make up for it in the winter when I am not cutting as often. This works well for them as they get a lower monthly cost and it works for me as I get paid through the off season.

Comment

I was luckey enough to know what they were paying before and had done other properties that I learned on before getting into a 12 month contract.
                    What's your advice as to how a lawn care business owner could go about finding this information?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                    X