Need some advice about Huge job.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice about Huge job.

I met a guy while picking up some stones for a job yesterday. He saw my sign on my truck and asked if i did lawns for neighborhoods. Of course i told him yes....anyway.....Turns out he is the president of his newly formed HOA, and wants me to submit a bid for cutting 109 yards, and redoing the entryway to the neighborhood. We talked for a long time, and he invited me to do a presentation at the meeting next week. i guess i impressed him, and he kind of implied that he wanted me to do the job. He said it would pay around $141,000 per year.

NOW.....i am a one man band, have never done more than 8 or 10 yards in one day. i guess i would need to get another truck, double my equipment, and hire a few dudes.
    If i should get this job, and accept it, should i ask for a percentage down so i can get all the equipment i need? or get a loan after i am sure the contract is final?

Any help on any part of this would be awesome! This is a huge opportunity, with a lot of money involved.....id hate to screw it up!!!

I met a guy while picking up some stones for a job yesterday. He saw my sign on my truck and asked if i did lawns for neighborhoods. Of course i told him yes....anyway.....Turns out he is the president of his newly formed HOA, and wants me to submit a bid for cutting 109 yards, and redoing the entryway to the neighborhood. We talked for a long time, and he invited me to do a presentation at the meeting next week. i guess i impressed him, and he kind of implied that he wanted me to do the job. He said it would pay around $141,000 per year.

NOW.....i am a one man band, have never done more than 8 or 10 yards in one day. i guess i would need to get another truck, double my equipment, and hire a few dudes.
    If i should get this job, and accept it, should i ask for a percentage down so i can get all the equipment i need? or get a loan after i am sure the contract is final?

Any help on any part of this would be awesome! This is a huge opportunity, with a lot of money involved.....id hate to screw it up!!!
    I can relate! I'm a part-timer and usually do 5 - 6 yards a week. I tend to do a lot of clean ups as well. I have several bids out that exceed 10k annually and am getting a little panicky. The problem I have always had is getting the clients. I guess if I can get the clients and now have a service obligation to fill, that will be a new ordeal for me. I'm sure some guys on here had made this plunge. A little advice would be appreciated.

Comment

That is a bit of a tough call for a few reasons, where I live the chances of getting a down payment or payment in advance on commercial lawn care accounts is next to impossible, I pulled it off with one developer however the money will be held in trust with my lawyer with a contract that sets out how a draw system will work. The job in question is clearing new lots, building driveways, excavating foundations, septic fields and landscaping, it's the only way I could risk doing this as it's 42 lots at $36,000++ each, I have to make a substantial investment in additional equipment, haven't signed off yet as I still have some concerns.

The other concern is putting so many eggs into one basket, if you buy all the gear and it doesn't work out then could the lack of work ruin you as you may have invested or borrowed to buy all the new gear.

Are all these accounts close enough that you could just buy mowers, trimmers, blowers etc. drop the crew in the morning, go get your other gear, do your thing and pick the crew up at the end of the day?
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

How many lawns do you feel you and an employee could handle? What are you thinking you would need to service this client?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
        X