Plant Install Bid Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant Install Bid Help

Got an install job coming up, (1 - 3 gal). I don't have exact number of plants, no less than 50. What is the easist way to bid install work. By the hour or plant, or?
    Customer will purchase all plants and will specify where they go all I have to do is dig and plant.
    JAY WOLFE LAWN AND HOME SERVICES
    ST. CLOUD, FL
    407-334-0445
    60" EXMARK & 32" LESCO WB

I usually bid by the plant. I at least double my cost for plant plus install. Then labor for any extra work that needs done.
    Got an install job coming up, (1 - 3 gal). I don't have exact number of plants, no less than 50. What is the easist way to bid install work. By the hour or plant, or?
    Customer will purchase all plants and will specify where they go all I have to do is dig and plant.

Comment

I usually bid by the plant. I at least double my cost for plant plus install. Then labor for any extra work that needs done.
      What would you suggest would be the best way to come up with a price for the install part?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

That would depend on the plant, common retail price, and your price. If a bougainvilla goes for 20 at homedepot, and I can get it for 5, I charge 20-25 installed. But the same size 3gal only a viburnum I would do for 11 installed. The have diffrent retail prices. I like to make 2.50 per 1gal, 5.00 per 3 gal, 15.00 per 7gal. But on any plant that I can pad the price due to retail being high I do so. But then the gradeing, mulch, all that stuff is on top of that price. If I pay 100 for a tree, I need at least 200 for that plant. If I can get it cheaper, I still need at least 200

Comment

Advise the client to call a professional. Not a "DO IT ALL" lawn care guy. I hate when I see lawn guys that claim to know it all and specialize in landscaping yet 99% could not tell you what a boxwood is. And yes I know this post is old. But someone will read my opinion!

Comment

Well, I am a "Do It All" lawn care guy, mainly because I need to make a living doing what I do and I will "Do It All" if I have to. I am working for a professional landscaper that has asked for a extra set of hands.
            I would prefer to mow and go, but thats not how I build my business and pay my bills.
            ST. CLOUD, FL
            407-334-0445

Comment

Something else that bugs the hell out if me is. These so called "professional" crews running around in thier 1 ton trucks and enclosed trailers looking down on me and my Ranger and 10' open trailer. I pay my taxes and I sure do pay my insurance agent and the county tax collector so I am able to make a living without being considered a "LOWBALLER". Trust me my prices are not low! ( I have OVERHEAD $$$)
              I lost my job in March '09 with a large corp. and now I am and will make it on my own by doing what "I DO" and enjoy.
              Everytime I do a job that I have not done in the past I learn something and I hope that one day I can be that "Professional" that people expect me to be. I don't claim to be a landscaper, I do lawn care and what ever else I need to do to pay my bill.

Sorry Steve for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest.
              Last edited by swampfox; 03-19-2010, 06:55 AM.
              ST. CLOUD, FL
              407-334-0445

Comment

We all have to learn. And many of us learn from just doing.

The other thing I was thinking about on this topic was what kind of guarantees should you offer customers when installing plants?

Does anyone offer any kind of guarantee? Especially when the plants are more expensive?

Do you ever get a call back months later only to find the plant died from whatever issue?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Thats why you need at least double the cost. I offer a 1 year but do not cover acts of God. I also dont cover lacks of water

Comment

by the plant and time

I charge by the plant yet it's based on time when planting. figure how long you think it would take you to plant a 1 gal, 2 gal, 3 gal, etc. then you can just multiply by the number of plants plus add 10% for unexpected things.

example: if it takes you 2 min to plant a 1 gal and your hourly is $60 per hour,, then charge her $2 per 1 gal, $3 for 2 gal, and perhaps 4-5 for 3 gal.
                    of course this takes into consderation where you will be planting. Is there mulch you have to work with or perhaps river rock and landscaping fabric to cut underneath it.

If you can't figure this out and don't know the number of plants, just let her know your hourly rate and charge it that way. Though sometimes customers get scared when they see a rate that's twice as much as they make per hour!

good luck

Comment

Thanks JP, Thats pretty much what I was thinking, just didn't know if I was right.
                      Thanks again...
                      ST. CLOUD, FL
                      407-334-0445

Comment

Thats why you need at least double the cost. I offer a 1 year but do not cover acts of God. I also dont cover lacks of water
                        How often do you run into problems where customers call you back to deal with dead plants and how do you normally handle it?

Comment

Very rarely do plants die except for lack of water or to much. If I did'nt do the sprinkler then thats on them. I'm not replacing a plant because you did'nt take care of them. Most clients are very understanding that they messed up. I tell all my clients to call me as soon as they see a problem. Then we figure out the problem. From time to time you have a plant that just has a problem and I have no problem replacing them as long as we have checked the site for other issues.

The rocks and extra digging would go in the gen labor with us. We charge per plant plus extra for labor like digging through rocks. I have many times just told the client I will charge by the hour because it is just to hard to give a good time

Comment

The rocks and extra digging would go in the gen labor with us. We charge per plant plus extra for labor like digging through rocks. I have many times just told the client I will charge by the hour because it is just to hard to give a good time
                            Have you ever started digging and hit a large rock that took you quite some time to remove?

Comment

The only rocks your gonna find around here are the ones someone put in the bed. You know for the most part that it will be a pain here. Out by the beach it might be worse but I have never found any big rocks in the ground

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X