Hello.. Landscape Bid...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello.. Landscape Bid...

Hello everyone. First post on the forum. Looks great so far, very useful information.

I'm laid off after working 15 years offshore so trying to do anything to stay afloat. I put a add in the local paper and have a few calls.

There is a couple trying to sell there house and add a little curb apeal. They have a $500 to $700 budget.

They would like to add 2 - 22' x 3' flower beds (photo attached) with some shrubs (I'm located in North Houston). clean out there exisiting beds and add some new mulch (I calculated will need about 2 yards of mulch for current beds.

Also maybe a patio paver walkway on the side of the house about 5 feet long with dirt to level.

How much should I bid? I have zero experience landscaping. Never even made a garden before. Can I put wet newpaper on top of this grass then top soil and dig a hole for the shrubs ? How much would it cost with labor to do
    (2) 22 foot long by 3 foot wide garden area to put shrubs ?

Any help very much appreciated...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheLawnShark5150; 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM.

They would like to add 2 - 22' x 3' flower beds (photo attached) with some shrubs (I'm located in North Houston). clean out there exisiting beds and add some new mulch (I calculated will need about 2 yards of mulch for current beds.

Also maybe a patio paver walkway on the side of the house about 5 feet long with dirt to level.

How much should I bid? I have zero experience landscaping. Never even made a garden before. Can I put wet newpaper on top of this grass then top soil and dig a hole for the shrubs ? How much would it cost with labor to do
    (2) 22 foot long by 3 foot wide garden area to put shrubs ?
    Could you possibly break this up into different jobs? Maybe do the shrubs and beds first and see if the customer approves of that?

I would think you might want to experiment installing patio pavers on your own property at first to get the hang of it and see how long it takes you.

But with the shrubs and beds. Can you price the material out at a garden center. Charge them double for the materials. Then try and figure out how long it will take you to install this. And charge $35-$55 an hour? For the installation?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Yes

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yes thats what I'm doing. Just not sure about the beds and how far apart to put the shrubs, how deep to dig, and the quickest way to do the beds... I'm thinking about 1 1/2 hours to dig up the grass on both sides at $30 an hour. Not sure about how deep and how much top soil. Maybe 5 hours total on the beds by myself to dig and install top soil and shrubs.

The Mulch area is easy.... 2 yards (3" coverage) at $26 a yard for black mulch plus $25 for delivery. After markup selling it for $48 a yard $45 labor to install. Plus $45 to clean out existing beds.

Yes will buy a few pavers and try out at home.

Will bid it in sections.... also buying some 30 to 50 pound stones for around $4.00 each and sell for $10 each to put in mulch area.

Comment

Lawn Dye

Also since they are trying to sell this house and the grass is a dormant brown and will probably be another month before it needs to be cut... maybe dye the lawn green to make it stand out. For $20 I can buy the dye to do the front lawn.. sell the die for $35 and spray it for $25....

Anyone dyed a lawn before?

Thanks for any suggestions

Comment

We don't see too much lawn painting on here, but hey, why not try it out and see how it works!

Take before and after pics and show us!
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
          X