Keep me on track here please!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep me on track here please!!

I am currently bidding on a project that includes 62 buildings, each building includes 8 townhomes. I have a good friend that lives there and she was able to get a copy of the HOA budget and let me know what is in the budget for lawn maintenance for the upcoming year is. Last year the HOA paid 99,300 for the basic lawn maintenance. They paid extra for tree removal, snow removal etc... The budget is 107k but they only paid 99.3k last year. I will be placing my bid tomorrow so any ideas on where I should be with my bid ahead of time would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tote

Wow! Isn't that a pretty big job? How many days per week do you think that will take? As far *** bidding, I have no idea. I'll let the other folks here tell you that.

Comment

Bid

I've never bid a job this big, but if you are doing labor only (mowing edging, trimming etcetera) at $95,000 per year, that would be 36.5 hours per week at $50.00 per man hour.

If you have fertilizing, dethatching, aerating, etc. you will have additional costs. I would use liquid dethatchers, fertilizers and aerators to eliminate the heavy machinery and cleanup afterwards. 94K would be $1,800.00 plus per week. That's a good contract!

Steve

Comment

I am currently bidding on a project that includes 62 buildings, each building includes 8 townhomes
        We have seen the best way to create an estimate for a large property like this is to break it down into areas you can better eyeball the time you will need to spend on it.

You already have a ballpark figure on how much they are looking to pay which is good for you.

From there you should break it down and see if it is possible for you to provide that service within that price range.

Would you like to post an overhead shot of the property and start breaking down what would be required for 1 of those buildings and then go from there?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

We actually went in and saved them 500.00 per month and threw in snow removal which may be once per season. All equipment is paid for so I think we are good.

Comment

Keep us posted on how it goes.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

This has been a good week. I haven't heard on the apartment complex or the townhouse community but we were able to secure 3 large jobs. One is a townhome community with 104 units, another is a townhome with 96 units and the third is a condo community with 48 units.

Still waiting on bids for 2 apartment complexes, and the large 496 unit community to be awarded. Keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

This has been a good week.
                You are doing fantastic! What do you attribute you ability to drum up so much business in what seems to be a short time?

Comment

Steve,

I have been in sales all my life so getting into doors is second nature for me. In the past 2 weeks I have hit every business, apartment complex, townhome community, HOA, Property manager, etc... that I can possibly and physically do by myself. I get up at 6, I get to the office by 7 and plan out my day. By 8 I am hitting doors. In the past several weeks we have actually placed bids totalling $595,000 annually, and today I got a return call from a manager that wants a portfolio bid for 11 apartment complexes next week.

You ask what it takes?? Hard work and many hours per day. Right now is the time when most companies are reviewing and renewing contracts. So get the business cards printed and hit as many doors as you can. Property managers are notorious for not returning phone calls so going to their office is much more advantageous.

We have won 3 contracts this past week and we currently have 14 pending. The portfolio bid of 11 properties will put us at over 1 Million in proposed contracts we have submitted in the past 2 weeks. The key is to place as many bids as you can and estimate 20% of those that you will win. If it's more than that, then you're doing great.

Comment

I think this is a great example of how the owner of the business really needs to be it's chief salesperson.

When it comes to motivation like this in sales and desire to succeed, do you feel it flows from a certain personality trait certain people have or do you feel this is something one can learn and apply themselves?

Comment

Anyone can do this. What has to be learned is the fear of "NO". It takes a lot of "NO's" to get to a yes. So the main thing you have to learn is that everytime you get past a NO, you're getting that much closer to the YES. Most people get frustrated when they run into obsticles and give up. If they had kept going, the next visit may have been their Chest at the end of the rainbow.

What is learned is the positive attitude it takes to keep going. When I approach a potential client, I don't sell anything but the project I am there for. I get right to the point. I ask for the person in charge of the lawn maintenance, I don't try to sell the receptionist, I don't try and sell myself or my company. I walk in the door, ask for the person in charge of lawn maintenance and once in front of them, the first thing I say is that I am there to bid on their lawn care needs and I would like to give them a quote. After they start asking questions, I answer their questions. I don't start rambling about "we do this and we do that". Just answer their questions and get the bid. If they are not bidding on a project right now, take their card and find out when they will be bidding. Make sure to call them back a month before they are taking bids. Never forget a potential client and when you could possibly be doing business with them. Never!

Comment

Totables I think that is some great advice! Reading your post got me to thinking, how many times would you be willing to hear "no" for a big contract? 50? 100? more? less?

I think a sales person also needs to keep in mind that those who say "no" may not be the customer they are looking for anyway and may not be "qualified" as a customer. But then again, maybe the person saying "no" may simply be seeing how bad you want the job.

Comment

Hey Superior, Excellent post! You're exactly right. How many no's are we willing to take before we land a big contract.

Well, yesterday was a great day for Totables Lawn Care. I was able to tour the Walker Mower Distribution plant yesterday for the SE. Lavon is the owner and took me on a 3 hour tour of the plant and discussed and taught me a lot. While I was there, I got a call from my business partner telling me that we just got awarded another contract. So that makes 4 new contracts in the past 2 weeks. A total of 10k per month added to our portfolio. It's been a good week and now I am looking to add another crew.

Comment

I was able to tour the Walker Mower Distribution plant yesterday for the SE. Lavon is the owner and took me on a 3 hour tour of the plant and discussed and taught me a lot
                            What stood out for you from that experience?

Comment

Working...
                            X