Pond installation bid and job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is very fascinating.

When you are interacting with the home owner, how much of this do they ask you about or do they just ask for you to fix it? You could potentially really give them a lesson on the topic and I do wonder how they would react to all that knowledge! Especially when it is immediately effecting them,
    It's all over the board, some want it fixed some want to be part of the process, either is fine with me however I go to great lengths to explain the process we plan and what could possible happen based on our experience.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

work

Andy, Do you do a lot of work that requires you to dig deep?
      Cubcadet ztr
      husquvarna blower craftsman professional series trimmer w/ homade harness
      60 gallon fimco pull type sprayer

Comment

Andy, Do you do a lot of work that requires you to dig deep?
        Depends on what you mean by deep, the average drain is 3 feet deep, we have had to go 8 feet deep due to major water issues in the basement, but all in all it's not often we dig over 4. We have the gear to dig 14 feet deep if needed but that will never happen here, simply too much bedrock.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I dont know what things are like there but here we would just use a 6 in perferated drain pipe put clean stone around it and put a soil seperation fabric on top of the stone and run the drain out to daylight, if grade would allow it. If you can get the water before it gets to the house then problem solved.

Comment

shoring box

Is there a certian depth that you have to use a shoring box. An what i mean by that dose your local safty regulations require you to do so.
            Cubcadet ztr

Comment

I dont know what things are like there but here we would just use a 6 in perferated drain pipe put clean stone around it and put a soil seperation fabric on top of the stone and run the drain out to daylight, if grade would allow it. If you can get the water before it gets to the house then problem solved.
              We use 4" sock wrapped perf pipe, 1" clear covered with 20 year fabric then top soil, if it is an interceptor drain then it has to stay open at surface so we cover the 1" with pea gravel, colored stone or leave it 1", whatever the customer wants.

Issue can be if the house is in a mote or if the foundation is down 7', then and it's rare, we have to get deeper than the footing drain, quite often the footing drains were not installed correctly and are plugged, it's not worth the risk to dig them up or the house has no footing drain at all.

The issue with letting it run to daylight is when the ground freezes so does the water in the pipe if you are not down at least 30", sometimes we will have to build a dry well along the way to allow for this.
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Is there a certian depth that you have to use a shoring box. An what i mean by that dose your local safty regulations require you to do so.
                We do not have to use them as there isn't anyone down in the ditch being dug, if there was then yes 6' and one has to be placed in while men/women work down in the excavated area.
                Andy
                Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

We do not have to use them as there isn't anyone down in the ditch being dug, if there was then yes 6' and one has to be placed in while men/women work down in the excavated area.
                  Where i am it is i think 8 feet
                  Cubcadet ztr

Comment

I have used that sock covered pipe as well and i do like it. As far as the water freezing in the pipe I never thought about this but you are very right. How do you do the dry well? I have never had a problem with the water freezing but could see this happening. I also agree with foundation drains they are very seldom installed right. Just two weeks ago I had to dig beside a crawlspace and replace one.

Comment

I have used that sock covered pipe as well and i do like it. As far as the water freezing in the pipe I never thought about this but you are very right. How do you do the dry well? I have never had a problem with the water freezing but could see this happening. I also agree with foundation drains they are very seldom installed right. Just two weeks ago I had to dig beside a crawlspace and replace one.
                      When we get to an area in the drain where we do not have water seeping in from the sides, we will dig 6 to 10 feet deep for 8 to 10 feet and will that with 1" clear stone, that will handle a tremendous amount of water, each case is different and sometimes it mat be wider or longer.
                      Andy
                      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                      X