Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A month.

I eat gas for breakfast!
    Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now? No, I'm not saying that a big operation should switch to battery. I'm just saying that as technologies advance it will not only be possible, it will become necessary. How many industries have been changed by technology? I remember doing paste up in an advertising company. We used to have to go out to a typographer for the copy, then cut it out and glue it to a board. Well, today, there are no such jobs anymore. The computer you're sitting in front of eliminated them. There are three things you can count on, death, taxes, and that everything changes.

Comment

Not much.

Do I do much marketing?

I printed up some flyers for doors, targeted the right neighborhoods, and so far, so good. I WAS thinking of taking the nylon cordura sides off of the trailer, replacing them with a plywood stake bed and putting some signs on that. I've actually gotten most of my customers by word of mouth. Sometimes mine (I do draw some questions from the curious). I'd rather do more mowing than talking, but, those two things can be in conflict.
      Last edited by Bob91403; 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Is this the trailer you use? You should totally have signs on it! That way people would know what they are looking at.

Then you could have a website that explains your business and possibly have some kind of a counter that shows how much carbon dioxide your business has emitted compared to a similar sized gas powered business.

Or something else that would really show how you are helping the environment.

Also, have you contacted the local media yet to do a story on you? I bet they would jump on it.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Similar

But, no, that's the medium trailer. I use the large one. Who needs the web for this. I'm not willing to pedal that far. As for the media, I really don't need them either. I am thinking of becoming a Worx distributor. I get a lot of questions from people who do their own yards.
          Last edited by Bob91403; 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

One thing you can count on,

Husqvarna's Panthera Leo is supposed to come out within the next five years. At that time I'll be driving a GEM eL electric vehicle and using Husqvarna's mower, as long as they make it with a swappable battery pack. I can see myself riding instead of pushing.
            Last edited by Bob91403; 01-17-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

As for the media, I really don't need them either.
              That's so fantastic that you are this busy and you don't need to go out there and promote.

I hope others are taking note of what you are doing.

What inspired you to get started with this?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Good question

The two houses on either side of mine used a service that was using gas powered leaf blowers. Well I don't have to tell you how much noise some of those things make. Besides that they've been illegal to use in Los Angeles for over seven years now. I needed to buy some yard care equipment so I looked into what was available. I really wanted to go with the Bosch lithium lineup, but, they only market it in Europe, and it's kind of pricey. I liked the Worx lineup, but until about six months ago they were still using nickel cadmium batteries(bad choice). When they came out with their lithium equipment I jumped on it. Their battery lawnmower is nice, but I had to find a supplier who would make a lithium replacement for the lead acid battery they supply. I got lucky with that. I've been mowing their lawns and quite a few more ever since. I just hope I don't get to the point where I have to turn down business. The idea of expanding scares me. You know, banks, employees, and everything else that goes with it.

Comment

The two houses on either side of mine used a service that was using gas powered leaf blowers. Well I don't have to tell you how much noise some of those things make.
                  Did you get them to switch over to using your service?

Comment

Yes

They're my neighbors. They were the first ones I went after. I've got five customers on my block. The only people who are still using gas on this block are the one who are still doing it themselves. And, even they are considering changing over to battery.

Comment

That is fantastic! You are starting a green revolution one block at a time.

I think it's also important to point out how you got the word out. You started small with your local immediate social network, your neighbors. Slowly word starts to spread and others want you to perform lawn care on their properties as well.

I bet they talk about you to other people they know as well. This should generate a lot of word of mouth.

Comment

Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now?

I am full of gas, I have been eating fast food a lot recently so I'm constipated. Is it worth it? Yes it is! Nothing beats a good greecy sub!

110 accounts depending on size is doable for one person working full shifts. Or if this person has the right equipment that can actually cut work time in half, which is usually large gas using equipment, which requires a truck to haul, not a bike.

Other than that, hiring a part time employee for 2 days a week wouldn't hurt.

The way I see it, it's a new employee vs efficient equipment. In the long run, equipment is less expensive & much more profitable.

The only time I use batteries is for my earphones, even then they aren't reliable.

I'd rather be able to pick up gas any time I need it, then to rely on batteries dying & needing to be charged. I don't even take breaks when I work, so I must have to spend a fortune on batteries. I like the luxury of being able to buy gas.

If my lawn service was to go "more green", our days would be longer & more stressful. Not all batteries work the same with all the available equipment, the garage would be a disaster with different batteries floating around & being charged or uncharged. Just another thing to distract me from what I need to do.

Instead of worrying about organizing my battery operated business, I'll stick with gas, which is available at every corner. Sure gas is expensive, but honestly it hasn't affected me.

If I drop a bit of gas, it happens. I have dropped nickels & dimes before, I'm not going to cry about it. Stress can be avoided, next time you order out, don't tip! There, you got your wasted money back. Lol.

Kidding, always tip, it's the right thing to do.

Even if it's bad for the environment, until we have some sort of martial law, nothing is going to save the planet.

That's the only time I will participate hard core. Sure I don't litter like crazy, but some things are inevitable & don't matter to me at the moment, something bad has to happen for me to change my ways.

It's like smoking, some people wont stop until they get a scare.

Comment

Yea but you gotta admit, it's a creative niche and there are a group of customers out there who want that.

I don't think anyone is saying electric equipment is going to replace gas equipment now but who knows what the future holds! Technology is always progressing and I am sure we will be impressed with what is created.

Comment

Yeah Scott,

I know what you mean. That bean and cheese burrito I just had is kicking back. But, with me it's just the opposite fast food to me is just that, FAST! I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.

Comment

Bob,

Have you seen any other guys doing something similar with the bikes and the trailer in your area or is this unique there?

Comment

No, Steve

I'm the first, and as far as I know, I'm the only one doing this anywhere. I wish I could patent it and franchise it, but, it's just an idea. Anyone could do the same thing.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X