Rolling a Lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling a Lawn

Do you guys roll lawns? If so do you drain after each customer? I have a 48" pull unit but omg it would be desperate hard to load that thing in or on one of the trailers, the draw bar is pretty short so backing up is a challange.

If you use a manual unit, what size?

Andy
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Roller

Do you guys roll lawns? If so do you drain after each customer? I have a 48" pull unit but omg it would be desperate hard to load that thing in or on one of the trailers, the draw bar is pretty short so backing up is a challange.

If you use a manual unit, what size?

Andy
    I have a 42" tow behind vinyl roller that you fill with water. Empty, it weighs about 75 pounds. The bar is short and yes, it is a challenge. I picked it up at a 'going out of business sale' for $45.00.

Steve

Comment

I have a 48 inch roller plastic (Polyethylene)

I usually bring it with me empty and uses the customer hose and fill it up and empty it when I'm done.

I usually charge a bit more than grass cutting

Comment

I have a 42" tow behind vinyl roller that you fill with water. Empty, it weighs about 75 pounds. The bar is short and yes, it is a challenge. I picked it up at a 'going out of business sale' for $45.00.

Steve
        Steve, do you empty it after every job and transport it? I would guess I am pushing 400 pounds plus with the one I have when full, probably more, made by John Deere....not that it matters in a roller, I like the rounded poly corners as it doesn't mark the lawn turning.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I have a 48 inch roller plastic (Polyethylene)

I usually bring it with me empty and uses the customer hose and fill it up and empty it when I'm done.

I usually charge a bit more than grass cutting
          That is what I was thinking of doing, have you ever had a customer get upset from the waste of water? We start rolling tomorrow and I had never given transportation any thought, then I was worried clients on wells (majority) would be upset with us wasting so much water
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

That is what I was thinking of doing, have you ever had a customer get upset from the waste of water? We start rolling tomorrow and I had never given transportation any thought, then I was worried clients on wells (majority) would be upset with us wasting so much water
            I usually remove the plug and run over the lawn to water it a bit haha.. then at the end i just let it sit at the bottom so it empties out until i can carry it back on my trailer

Comment

What does the lawn roller do?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

In the spring it is a very good idea to do as it will flatten out the lawn, also required for new top soil or sod prior to seeding or laying sod.
                Andy
                Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

lawn roller

I am toto tilling the whole lawn. The roller flattens and levels the lawn. Also, After seeding, it sort of sets the seed so it won't blow or wash away as easily.

Steve

Comment

In the spring it is a very good idea to do as it will flatten out the lawn,
                    How does it benefit the grass to flatten it in the spring?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Flatten the grass

How does it benefit the grass to flatten it in the spring?
                      I don't think there is much differance between folling the lawn or stripeing the lawn. Grass growth in the spring is more robust and a flat lawn has mush less scalping of the grass.

Steve

Comment

Ah ok.

Do you ever market this service? If so, should it be marketed in early Spring or other times too?

Also how do these big rollers you fill with water differ from a striping kit that has chains dragging on the lawn from behind a mower?

Comment

Marketing?

Ah ok.

Do you ever market this service? If so, should it be marketed in early Spring or other times too?

Also how do these big rollers you fill with water differ from a striping kit that has chains dragging on the lawn from behind a mower?
                          As a matter of fact, I never even thought about marketing this service until I read your post! Things like this is why I like this forum so much. It both relays information and entices creative thought.

Something that is obvious to a 60 year old homeowner isn't grasped by a first time or young homeowner. How to flattenout a lown to ease lawn scalping is so second nature to me that marketing the service was never even thought of. Thanks to you, I have a new service to offer.

Afterthought - possibly core aeration the high spot and then flooding it would really aid the flattening process. Something to experiment with.

Steve
                          Last edited by swstout; 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

I am happy to help.

So if you were to promote lawn rolling, what other services would you want to promote along with it ?

Comment

I am happy to help.

So if you were to promote lawn rolling, what other services would you want to promote along with it ?
                              Yes we do market it, I had just assumed everyone did it as it's common practise where I live. It's been too wet to roll however things have dried out and we have quite a few lawns to do.

Over the winter the frost will heave the ground, a roller will settle things back down, not 100% but close, then you fill any valley type areas in the lawn with top soil and depending on how big it is seed or lay top soil.

Andy
                              Andy
                              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X