How to deal with pet droppings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

That's the thing, at first I I was going to charge for cleaning the yard, but the bottom line is I don't wanna be hauling a bucket of dog sh!t in the truck or trailer around all day.... I charge for having to clean up the equipment, I still aint picking the sh!t up. It's their ****, they can step in it too, so I'll leave it for them.

The only time I've ever picked it up was when I had a vacant house in the middle of nowhere, only neighbor for blocks was right next door. I asked him several times to either make sure his dog crapped in his own yard or to please pick it up. After the 2nd request I made he got snotty with me. I gave it a few weeks & then scooped a bunch on a shovel & put it all just outside his rear screen door for him to deal with.... HAHA! Don't sling **** if ya can't take it back.

Comment

That's the thing, at first I I was going to charge for cleaning the yard, but the bottom line is I don't wanna be hauling a bucket of dog sh!t in the truck or trailer around all day.... I charge for having to clean up the equipment, I still aint picking the sh!t up. It's their ****, they can step in it too, so I'll leave it for them.
      It seems to me that if someone was trying to offer more upsells, this would be a great way to do it. You wouldn't have to haul it around with you, maybe just put it in a bag that you would leave at the curb or in a can for the next garbage pickup.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, I am not sure what I am going to do yet, I still have some time to think about it, but I think I will charge for clean-up, and if I loose the customers I loose them, it sucks to have to turn down business with the state of this economy where I usually take on any job that’s out there but we’ll see what happens. Chuck, great story about the neighbor, and that just shows how people are, they look at it like its not my problem, and it is. Also great line for the initial estimate if/when the customer asks why were charging more and so on. Also Clark Landscaping, there's no offense, I didn’t take it as you were giving me a hard time I agree either put up with it or move on, there isn’t much you can do about this situation I was just looking to see if anyone had any different ideas. Thanks guys.

Comment

I was charging $5 if me or my equip. got crap on it but then I decided I would just figure it in to the job. It makes it easy because they don't know and you covered what you wanted. Itís like free estimates. There free for me to come out and look at the job but if I get the job I just add the time it took for me to figure the job. That way the customer thinks they got it for free.

Comment

Hey Close Cuts, donít spread the secret that "Free Estimates" really arenít free if a customer gets on here and finds that out we will all be busted. Good idea, I am always like one track mind when I hear of dog, because I just go right to thinking about the mess but itís a way not to loose customers over an addition to the contract. Thanks!

Comment

Where to put it?

I think its a great idea to offer a dog waste removal service for a good fee. It takes next to no money to start up, but what do you do with the waste after you remove it from the customers yard? You can't just keep full garbage bags of dog waste in your garage.

Comment

I think its a great idea to offer a dog waste removal service for a good fee. It takes next to no money to start up, but what do you do with the waste after you remove it from the customers yard? You can't just keep full garbage bags of dog waste in your garage.
                I would chuck it at my competitors trucks. Sorry I'm a bit bitter after some a hole slashed my tires and stole my trimmer.

Comment

I changed my service agreement up to add $8 if the owner has a dog.

If they say no, fine I don't have to mess with dog crap, if they say yes and I have them, then the 8 bucks more than make up for it. I have a dog, I pick up after him, so it's not a big gross out deal for me. $32 extra a month per lawn is worth the wiff of dog crap.

BTW, it does say "minimum charge".........I have not had a problem yet, but I only have 2 lawns that have dogs and don't pick up after them.

One customer, I have actually pulled up and they asked me to trim first or ask if i mind waiting a few minutes while they pick it up because it was a late night, etc and they didn't have a chance to.

Comment

Truth is you should be so busy that you don't have time to worry about things like that. Just run the crap over get it stuck in the wheels and go on to your next lawn. You can hose it off at the end of the day.

Comment

Truth is you should be so busy that you don't have time to worry about things like that. Just run the crap over get it stuck in the wheels and go on to your next lawn. You can hose it off at the end of the day.
                      You are very fortunate you are so busy!

Comment

You are very fortunate you are so busy
                        It's not really about how busy you should be. It's about how busy you have to be in order to make a living mowing lawns. We have a very short season in up state NY. We all have to start in the same place. You have equipment and no customers. Then you get your first customer, and you're hooked. For better or worst you're in baby. BYOB. Be Your Own Boss. Not bring your own beer.

Comment

The problem isn't getting dog crap on the equipment its getting it on yourself (boots and pants) which then tracks into the truck and never goes away. Sure, take time at the end of the job and dig it out of your boots...this takes time and time is money. Then the worst part about it is when a trimmer guy is moving along at a steady pace and is in the zone (you all know what I'm talking about) and all the sudden a hot pile of fresh crap gets hit and sprays everywhere! Now its all over the trimmer guys as well as the guys running the mowers (innocent bystanders). Believe me if it was a pile here and there and only getting on the wheels I wouldn't be complaining, I'm talking $hit showers and it aint cool, really it makes you want to end the day early, tuck your tail between your legs and go home.

Comment

There is a solution....

Comment

Working...
                            X